Sponsored by: DP Tuner

exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:55 AM
f350xlt460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust brake

Ok, i have been doing research on exhaust brakes for the 99 super dutys. I thought that the only way it would work would be from a company like banks with a unit that is placed in the exhaust system and has a valve that is closed to slow the truck. But i just found another type, Westerd Diesel.
" The TurboBrake II or III uses the existing EBV (exhaust backpressure valve) which is installed in your truck from the factory. "

Has anyone heard of this and does anyone have it on their truck?
Seems easier to install then a banks brake.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
exhaust brake

A lot of people use them and swear by them. If money is an object, then go for it. but if you truly want the best exhaust brake, call up three outfits (Banks, BD and PacBrake) and ask them why they didn't simply use this factory installed valve. You might find their answers illuminating.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Foneguy
Senior User
exhaust brake

I've got one as well.. I just installed it myself last weekend. it's a TB III and I love it. However you have to be contortionist to install the damn thing.. give yoru self about 5 hours with lots of light and you will do fine. and it's also awesome to have the high idle and PTO option for both my winches. (One front and one Portable Rear.) Just like the distructions say ( Read them twice or more and you have got it made) And Yes Carfunkel is right if you talk with any of the other manufacturers like banks or pac-brake they will sell you something you alraeady have on your truck.

Best of luck..

Your Resident Foneguy

Old 09-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
exhaust brake

Originally posted by Foneguy
And Yes Carfunkel is right if you talk with any of the other manufacturers like banks or pac-brake they will sell you something you alraeady have on your truck.
I'm hoping that is not what I said, because it is not what I meant. What I intended to infer is that you get what you pay for, and that there are some very good engineering reasons to use a valve that is designed for the job of braking. That is not to say that the other units don't work, but that they are not the best design, or the most effective.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:00 PM
f350xlt460
Elder User
exhaust brake

Money is always an issue, (esp being 22 and running your own lawn service) but i think the way im leaning toward is the orgional Western Diesel engine brake. I would love to have the high idle option, but the lifetime warenty on the orgional wins out. Do you think it would be possiable to tap in to the wires on the go pedal and hook up a rheostat (i think thats what its called) to adjust the trottle? OBTW, i just ordered this kit for my truck, cant wait to install