Truck Starts & Dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:46 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by diy

now, is it really doable to check the oil pressure or even use a scanner when the truck can't stay running? is having the ignition on enough? i can't get the truck to run even a min, so really not much time to do anything. (and that's when i get it to actually start)

Yes. When your cranking the engine the HPOP is turning and building pressure.

With a good scanner you can also see rpms, voltage, voltage to sensors, temps, duty cycle, etc, etc.

With respect to OEM vs Aftermarket these engines are very finicky and there are plenty of threads here were someone had problems and it turned out to be aftermarket sensors / electronics causing the problem. I'm a walmart, amazon, save a penny tight wad but will only use OEM IPR, ICP, Map, CPS.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by diy
no, didn't try the old IPR, it was covered in oil, very much dead.
? How was the IPR covered in oil? I've heard of the ICP having oil coming through the internals but not the IPR

Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the tach is moving, most likely the CPS is commanding the injectors to fire. You are seeing white smoke out the tail pipe. This indicates that there is unburned fuel coming out the pipe. Why unburned? It could be injected at the wrong time, injected at too low a pressure, engine too cold, too low compression, very bad fuel, engine spinning too slow or very little fuel.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:22 PM
diy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Yes. When your cranking the engine the HPOP is turning and building pressure.

With a good scanner you can also see rpms, voltage, voltage to sensors, temps, duty cycle, etc, etc.

With respect to OEM vs Aftermarket these engines are very finicky and there are plenty of threads here were someone had problems and it turned out to be aftermarket sensors / electronics causing the problem. I'm a walmart, amazon, save a penny tight wad but will only use OEM IPR, ICP, Map, CPS.
ok. really bugs me to delay even more, but hate to spend money in the dark too.
which one would you recommend?
is there one like an obd scanner that wouldn't need a laptop, tablet, wifi, etc.

my wife has a laptop but as there is not wifi here, if it needs internet i won't get it. also, laptop is a bit cranky right now ever since they tried to switch windows 7 users to 10. so at the moment it cant' go online period. it would be great to have something that does it all sitting in the palm of your hand.

? How was the IPR covered in oil? I've heard of the ICP having oil coming through the internals but not the IPR
my bad, really got everything mixed up there
the IPR was looking bad...in what way i don't remember anymore. that's one i did quite awhile back. doubt i even kept it, knowing how it was.
& yes, it's the ICP that can get oil. i changed mine because it was covered in quite a bit of oil.

Originally Posted by Karlow
If the tach is moving, most likely the CPS is commanding the injectors to fire. You are seeing white smoke out the tail pipe. This indicates that there is unburned fuel coming out the pipe. Why unburned? It could be injected at the wrong time, injected at too low a pressure, engine too cold, too low compression, very bad fuel, engine spinning too slow or very little fuel.
well, looks like we'll find out once i get a scanner.

thx guys for all the help you're giving!

Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Can't help you with a stand alone scanner brand and model. I do know that many don't work with our trucks so make sure if you get one it is designed for a diesel. I know snap-on make several but I'm sure they're big $$$$
You could probably find a cheap android phone or tablet but not sure how you would get the app on it without internet. Hopefully someone will come along here that's done it and let us know.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM
diy
Freshman User
Can't help you with a stand alone scanner brand and model. I do know that many don't work with our trucks so make sure if you get one it is designed for a diesel. I know snap-on make several but I'm sure they're big $$$$
You could probably find a cheap android phone or tablet but not sure how you would get the app on it without internet. Hopefully someone will come along here that's done it and let us know.
ok. hopefully someone has been down that road, but in the meantime, does the app require internet once it's downloaded, or can it run the diagnostics without internet.
if internet is needed just for the download, can always go to a public area that offers free wifi.

yea, snap-on is expensive alright...

Old 06-28-2017, 07:32 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
once its loaded no internet needed. you will need a Bluetooth dongle, thats how the phone connects to the truck.
this what i'm using
Amazon Amazon

look for user name Tugly. He's got some great links in his signature. One is all about this subject

Old 06-29-2017, 10:29 AM
diy
Freshman User
once its loaded no internet needed. you will need a Bluetooth dongle, thats how the phone connects to the truck.
this what i'm using
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

look for user name Tugly. He's got some great links in his signature. One is all about this subject
thx for the tip on Tugly, just glanced at it real quick and it looks

went ahead and bought the OBDII Scan Tool that you suggested last night. should get it tomorrow.

i'll be doing this on an android tablet & it has a built in bluetooth, so do you think that i still need the "dongle" or not?

.... you could use the torque pro app. Really need to know what your High pressure oil is doing.....Need to look at forscan app.
do i need to get both "the torque pro app and the forscan app", or will just one of them do it for checking the oil pressure and sensors, etc...?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:41 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
That ob2 scan tool is the dongle. It plugs into the ob2 port in the truck and then you pair it with your android device.
Only one app is needed. I hear a lot of people like forscan. I haven't tried it because I was already using torque pro when it cam out. I'm not a real techy guy and don't want to learn something new.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 AM
diy
Freshman User
not a real techy guy either...
ok, i'll go for the forscan. i'll get back to you once the scan tool arrives.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 PM
diy
Freshman User
making some headway with the app, and here's an oddity

the ICP when under crank shot up to 1000 psi, but dropped drastically and speedily down. i'd say average point of psi total in the end would be 30.

wondering if maybe it's faulty. shouldn't it be steady?

the EBP kept a steady 94.9 kPa
IPR 14.84%
CMP stat = ok

will need to check out more tomorrow...took me long enough getting the handle on this and now the battery is getting low, so letting it charge tonight.

still unable to find the oil pressure on this app though. just doesn't seem to be there?

Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
Originally Posted by diy
making some headway with the app, and here's an oddity

the ICP when under crank shot up to 1000 psi, but dropped drastically and speedily down. i'd say average point of psi total in the end would be 30.

wondering if maybe it's faulty. shouldn't it be steady?

the EBP kept a steady 94.9 kPa
IPR 14.84%
CMP stat = ok

will need to check out more tomorrow...took me long enough getting the handle on this and now the battery is getting low, so letting it charge tonight.

still unable to find the oil pressure on this app though. just doesn't seem to be there?

If the ICP sensor is faulty it should still start and run with it unplugged. Sounds like you have a large HP oil leak, IPR issue or your HPOP is bad. Have you checked the bolt that holds the gear to the HPOP?

Old 07-01-2017, 02:33 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
With the ICP sensor removed, the PCM uses a default "good" ICP pressure (2200psi I think) to signal the injectors to try and fire. If there's actually little to no ICP then it won't run, and you've ruled out the ICP sensor as being the cause of your problem.

The fact that the engine does start occasionally and your ICP goes to over 1000psi then drops sounds more like a failing IPR. It might be the tin nut on the end being loose and allowing the solenoid to move around. There are two parts to the IPR, the actual Regulator part, and the solenoid that's held on by the tin nut. Remove the nut and the solenoid slides right off. You can swap the solenoid from your old one, or simply swap the entire thing.

Was it running well at anytime after doing the injectors? If not it's possible you cut an o-ring during the install and your dumping your HPO oil.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 AM
diy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Chevota_72
If the ICP sensor is faulty it should still start and run with it unplugged. Sounds like you have a large HP oil leak, IPR issue or your HPOP is bad. Have you checked the bolt that holds the gear to the HPOP?
Originally Posted by SaintITC
With the ICP sensor removed, the PCM uses a default "good" ICP pressure (2200psi I think) to signal the injectors to try and fire. If there's actually little to no ICP then it won't run, and you've ruled out the ICP sensor as being the cause of your problem.

The fact that the engine does start occasionally and your ICP goes to over 1000psi then drops sounds more like a failing IPR. It might be the tin nut on the end being loose and allowing the solenoid to move around. There are two parts to the IPR, the actual Regulator part, and the solenoid that's held on by the tin nut. Remove the nut and the solenoid slides right off. You can swap the solenoid from your old one, or simply swap the entire thing.

Was it running well at anytime after doing the injectors? If not it's possible you cut an o-ring during the install and your dumping your HPO oil.
thx guys for comin' on here

ok, the bolt holding the gear to the HPOP is fine.

IPR tin nut is in place and not moving.

Unplugged ICP and tried to crank while scanning.
it recorded a higher psi this time. (15,284 psi) and the engine started, but only for a sec before shutting off.

monitored the IPR at the same time, and it also changed while doing this test (31.64% under crank) when not under crank, it went back to 14.84%

so for the hell of it, i then plugged back the ICP and tried again. this time i got nothing showing up (0 psi) and the IPR kept at the 14.84%

so a little unsure here. is it still just the IPR, or is the ICP also off?
don't have either, so will need to order them...this time will for sure go with a legit because this is just not working. they are both "new"

not the injector's o rings. truck was running good after swapping the injectors out.

do either of you know how the check the HPOP pressure with FORScan Lite. i still can't check it.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:25 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
ICP is HPOP pressure if the sensor is working.

Quick Reply: Truck Starts & Dies