Computer Chips & Tuners  

SuperChips Micro tuner 'too good to be true"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:36 AM
John Deeney
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I am contempalting chipping my 02 FX4 4.6 With Superchips Microtuner 1517. I am not happy with it's lethargic passing and jerky shifting performance.

I have been doing the usual web browsing. The calims for the product are glowing and for sure some of the user reports seem encouraging. So has anyone had any not so cool experiences. What are the disadvantages anyone seen any quirks with the system

Also on the rough idle issue another dealer thinks it mat be the fuel rail it is going to be replaced next week Stay Tuned

John

Old 09-05-2003, 12:51 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only disadvantage is that you have to run premium fuel to use it. It retunes the vehicle for premium.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:21 PM
John Deeney
Junior User

Thanks for the reply Ken,

Premium is ok wioth me between the program change and the FIPK I am expecting quite a bit I am just a little unsure if both retros will live up to my expectations I am expecting about 40 hp increase between the 2

Old 09-10-2003, 04:20 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

40HP.... no way. Maybe 30 between the two of them. With automotive power enhancements 2+2 does not equal 4, it equals 3 (ie, diminishing returns for each added item).

Old 09-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

John,

Send your tuner back to Superchips. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee. The chip does nothing except tighten up your auto trans just a little. My last car, 1998 continental with 4.6 mustang v8, pushed 260 horsepower stock, I piped and K&N'd it and ran it in the 1/4 mile at Moroso many times. After tuning my car with Superchips tuner, I actually LOST horsepower and my times were slower. It also blew up my ignition, which cost me 400.00 to fix at the dealer. I unprogramed the car and sent it back. Now I own a 2003 F150 4.2L V6 Auto and was STUUUUUPID enough to try it all over again with a Jet Chip. Same thing happened. Slowed my times down at the track and did nothing for my car.

Tuners and chips (for the money you spend) are dog doo. They just don't work. Falicy. People who actually "think" they work are the ones who think that they might "feel" more power because in their minds they try to justify spending all that money.

It's not worth it. Other than internal engine work, once you've piped and filtered it, there is nothing else you can do to make it faster. All that other stuff they sell is a fraud. The Tornado, Araid Power intakes, pulleys....you name it, they will just make your car run worse.

If you want more power off the line, have a different gear ratio installed along with a mechanical shift kit, or drop 2 tire sizes in the back, this will also change your gear ratio and make your car faster off the line. Anything you do internally will help, but all these falicy bolt on stuff are for people who just want to blow their money on a worthless hobby.

If you don't beleive me, try purchasing some of these items and take your car to the track or Dyno, it's the only true test, because nobody in the world can "feel" 10 horsepower even if you've gained it.

Don't waste your money, enjoy your vehicle for what it is.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:18 AM
John Deeney
Junior User

Hi Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is the first post I have seen detailing some issues with the superchip. I remain skeptical but will try and if I cant see any gain It very definetly will go back.What I am confused about as a nonracer is that if the vehicle can be set up through the chip to take advantage of higher octane wont that translate into performance.

Oh yea the shifting is quite another issue.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

John,

I don't know. I've just been talking with Ken, the administrator, and believe it or not, he's convinced me to give him a shot at programming a Diablo chip for me. He says that if I don't show substantial gains at the race track that he will refund me my money and the shipping costs. He's that confident that the Diablo chip will work.

Try sending him an email. He's the guy 3 lines above you with the muppet picture.

Tom

Old 09-12-2003, 11:00 AM
John Deeney
Junior User

Hi Tom,

I spoke with a ford mechanic last week and he seems to think that it will increase performance he says it does some good things for the idle to holding the injections open a bit longer. I have also talked with a performance shop in my area and they like em so I will give it a whirl an dlet everyone know what I think after a but.

yes ken seems to be a very confident guy about his product

I am not sure if he programs Superchips or not or is just a jober for them

John

Old 09-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

John,

JUST DON'T GET A JET CHIP. THEY ARE THE WORST. KEN SWEARS BY THE DIABLO AND HAS PERSONALLY PROMISED ME THAT THE DIABLO WILL PERFORM BEAUTIFULLY.

TOM

Old 09-13-2003, 08:28 PM
abarreto
Freshman User

I installed a diablo chip to my 5.4L Supercrew and have a JET in a Chevrolet 4.3L. Even though I am using super unleaded fuel, the vehicles not only run better but fuel economy has also gone up. With my Supercrew about 2 to 4 MPG and the Chevy about 2 MPG from previous. I also noticed that the Ford computer seems to be adaptive and results where better after driving on for some time. On the Chevy performance increase was noticable almost imediately and just a little bid less than with the Ford.

I do not know the specifics of other members failure with these products but without any question if the chip is selected properly and installed correct, the results should be in most cases increase performance, economy and better emissions. I would expect you to notice an increase in power to your 4.6 of about 15 to 20 HP. And of course if you use the gas pedal with moderation there should also be and improvement with the fuel economy.

As any improvent the results can be enhanced with a good free flow exhaust. Certainly the Ford factory exhaust is so compromised that will diminish the benefits of the chip.

Old 09-13-2003, 08:49 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Originally posted by John Deeney

I am not sure if he programs Superchips or not or is just a jober for them
We program them - Superchips chips and Diablo chips (we program more Diablo's than anyone). The Microtuners are not programmed, they come from Superchips with the codes already in them.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:37 AM
Busa01
Postmaster

Abarreto,

I'm hoping to get those types of gains from the Diablo. However, the Jet Chip I purchased did slowed my vehicle down. I am running Flowmasters and K&N, so it's pushing enough air. Also, I've read and heard alot of complaints about Jet. Most shops and websites don't even carry them anymore, and they tell me the reason for that is that there are too many complaints and returns. So at least I know I'm not completely crazy.

Tom

Old 09-15-2003, 09:09 AM
John Deeney
Junior User

Thanks for the info Abarreto

I tried to ask ken what he thought but in another post so it may have been overlooked I will add it here and see what the answer is.

Hi Ken,

Do you have a opinion on which chip (Tuner is best) Have you tested eiether one. Which one has the least returns for credit. i have to believe that both have the same programs in it.

I have seen some posts saying Superchip is all show no go.

What do you think

John

Old 09-15-2003, 09:28 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Give me time to handle weekend posts on Monday , I'm not hanging around all weekend answering posts (I don't have enough personal time as it is ). I answered the other post already this morning.

Old 09-20-2003, 01:07 PM
myroc
New User

I just put a Superchip in my 2000 F150 4x4 5.4L with 3:55 K/N filter and a custom exhaust system (the exhaust and K/N filter were in before i put the chip ) and the differance was hugh. Now from a standing stop i can put down about 10 feet of rubber both tires, were before mybe 2-3 feet. Shift are super crisp no over lap.Rev's over 5000 rpm now. I to was a little unsure about the chip, but l'm sure glad l got now.

Cheers Myroc

Quick Reply: SuperChips Micro tuner 'too good to be true"?