Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 AM
akcooper9
Senior User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Good Morning Gents

I started tearing the truck down yesterday in preparation for KC Turbos new 363 style drop in turbo. The turbo has a 63mm compressor wheel recommended for stock to 160/30 injectors and 74mm exhaust wheel.

While the turbo was out, I wanted to do the following:
  • Resolve leaking pedestal o-rings at the block
  • Bellowed up-pipes
  • Boot Kit
  • EBPV Delete

I spent 6 hours yesterday, removing the turbo, stock up-pipes, installing the bellowed up-pipes and putting resistors in the wastegate solenoid and EBPV solenoid. I am now ready to install the delete pedestal, turbo etc. I should have most everything done today less the spider and CAC tubes as I'm waiting on the boot kit to arrive. More to come!

A BIG thanks goes out to The Brad as he has been a big help answering questions through this install

Here are a few teasers:

Name:  2017-06-13%2018.36.40_zpsdmbnqsv1.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  167.0 KB

Name:  2017-06-24%2014.42.29_zpsqgjc3rny.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  227.0 KB

Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Looks like a very nice turbo. That wheel is very aggressive looking in my opinion.

I will probably end up getting the 66mm version of this if/when I upgrade to a KC turbo. Has there been any documentation or mention of the AR size? The KC38R offers 1.0 and .84 and I am curious to know if there has been any mention of the various sizes for these new models as well.

Keep up the good work and pictures!

Old 06-25-2017, 08:54 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Subscribing

Old 06-25-2017, 09:50 AM
akcooper9
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Has there been any documentation or mention of the AR size? The KC38R offers 1.0 and .84 and I am curious to know if there has been any mention of the various sizes for these new models as well.
This turbo has the .84 housing. But remember it has a 74mm exhaust wheel vs the stock 68mm exhaust wheel. Seeing this is a tester unit, if we find out it needs a 4in inlet or 1.0 exhaust housing, we will make adjustments. But for now, Im confident in what Charlie has put together.

From Charlie (KC Turbo):
It will spool WAY faster than any 38r out there, but still flow more air than any stock injector truck would ever need.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:09 PM
akcooper9
Senior User
Update time...Sunday I skipped working on the truck and instead went boating with the family at the river Had a great time.

Name:  2017-06-25%2017.41.15_zpsr8k9guhb.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  252.4 KB

Ordered CAC boots and UVCH clips today (figured I install them while I have access to the valve covers.

This evening I got the turbo installed. The KC38R 363 looks right at home

Took me 30 minutes to get the V band on the back else everything went smooth and lined up well. I also padded the fuel line on the left side while I had access.

Name:  2017-06-26%2019.08.24_zpsbvqtspfn.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  209.3 KB

Name:  2017-06-26%2020.46.01_zpshlt2e5s8.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  240.1 KB

Name:  2017-06-26%2020.33.21_zps0cdbkkkf.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  220.8 KB

Name:  2017-06-26%2020.45.10_zpsyldyv55b.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  199.8 KB

Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
Looking good there!

i love the 300 series turbo on our Excursion. They do spool up quick.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:31 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
Almost forgot, if you EBP sensor is old or more than .5 psi difference than MAP or Baro it might be a good idea to replace this as well.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:02 PM
BdgrDuckHntr
Junior User
BdgrDuckHntr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sweet! That new turbo looks REAL nice in there.

I just got done with the EBPV delete myself. Darn V or Marmon clamps! Mine took almost an hour.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
I see a big problem with how the turbo sits in there......

you should remove it as soon as possible and send it to me for for testing purposes.

all kidding aside, it looks like a quality piece and we are all waiting for the results.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM
BdgrDuckHntr
Junior User
BdgrDuckHntr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I see a big problem with how the turbo sits in there......
Looks too clean in there...right? We should definitely break it in..

Old 06-30-2017, 05:04 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
I don't want to hijack this thread but there's another turbo company claiming their turbo "out performs the GTP38r" they are from Canada wonder if it's something worth mentioning.
Hers a link not a bad price either.
Ford Powerstroke 7.3L 66mm Ball Bearing GTP38 Upgrade Turbocharger | eBay

Old 06-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread but there's another turbo company claiming their turbo "out performs the GTP38r" they are from Canada wonder if it's something worth mentioning.
Hers a link not a bad price either.
Ford Powerstroke 7.3L 66mm Ball Bearing GTP38 Upgrade Turbocharger | eBay
Canadian vendor out 'til after 4th of July ROFLMAO :-usa.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
That is a good price, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Now, if this company has a tried and true reputation, I am all for good parts at great prices.

Although, my money is still going to KC at this point in time.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:38 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Good grief that is pretty....I may just have to use some bonus money for something
just like this....yikes

Old 07-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Yes, waiting for the review.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.