Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
BLUEMAX65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[QUOTE=The Brad;18078225]
This truck has 238/100s and a 366/74/1.0 and is grossing over 23k and heís lugging the crap out of it to prove how well the SXE does. https://youtu.be/powB5VLW0_s

He also ran the 1/4 in 14.9 @ 97mph weighing 8k. Heís a second slower due to being a 6 speed.

Hereís the thread SXE Heavy Tow Videos - PowerStrokeArmy

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65
Wind resistance on a 38' triple axle trailer @ 9k empty ( No car but full of everything to support it ) Is still a comparison. I haven't towed anything since my fuel system has been added. I'm sure it will be fine.[/qoute]

So, is your trailer 5k or 9k?
I never said the SXE system was less of a system compared to what a KC could do. But the T4 guys can't accept that can you. You sure are an insecure bunch. WOW..

A second slower because he is a six speed. Are you kidding me?

At the time I towed his trailer we guessed at the weight. He went thru the scales to get his trailer registered here in AZ. Was originally registered in OR.

Maybe we should have a subsection for the T4 guys.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:21 PM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65 View Post
Can you show me a SXE truck that can run numbers like that with just the basic mod's my truck has?

I never said the SXE system was less of a system compared to what a KC could do. But the T4 guys can't accept that can you. You sure are an insecure bunch. WOW..

Dude, you’re all over the place! You’re happy with your truck, and I’m glad, but most of these guys are looking for better TOWING performance! The advantage that the SXE has over the KC is the ability to keep EGTs down in the lower rpm range,

Do you really believe a ZF6 truck would turn the same quarter mile times as an auto? Not gonna happen, the auto will shift faster every time!

As for fuel pressure? I’m still running a single stock pump and an FRX. I can also drop pressure to 20psi, but not in my tow tunes.

I’m open to be proven wrong, but your arguments are either incomplete info, or you shift the debate towards peak HP/boost while I’m trying to have a conversation about sustained towing power with sub 1200 degrees temps, without having to stay above 2500rpm.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
No reason for anyone to get hurt feelings about their choice. It was their money, their time and their truck. Some regret choices and some learn from mistakes of others.

For me, the choice is clear since the price is nearly the same.

Also, no f-in way a ZF6 truck would run the same times if everything was equal to an automatic.

That said, I love the slow shifting, hard working ZF6 in my truck and it will never see a drag strip.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
BLUEMAX65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dude, you’re all over the place! You’re happy with your truck, and I’m glad, but most of these guys are looking for better TOWING performance! The advantage that the SXE has over the KC is the ability to keep EGTs down in the lower rpm range,
How am I all over the place? Just suggesting another approach.
Do you really believe a ZF6 truck would turn the same quarter mile times as an auto? Not gonna happen, the auto will shift faster every time!
Unless he is granny shifting maybe. My truck doesn't shift that quick at all. I left it in drive and slipped all the way down. I watched the tach go all over the place
As for fuel pressure? I’m still running a single stock pump and an FRX. I can also drop pressure to 20psi, but not in my tow tunes.
My fuel pressure dropped in my 40 hp tow tune. After the fuel system upgrade it picked up a bunch of HP/Trq.
I’m open to be proven wrong, but your arguments are either incomplete info, or you shift the debate towards peak HP/boost while I’m trying to have a conversation about sustained towing power with sub 1200 degrees temps, without having to stay above 2500rpm.
All I posted on this thread was a response to "bhirmiz" About my experiences with the KC. And then came in the T4 mob. I even offered in a other thread some of Corey's customers ( CNCFAB) opinion's towing heavy with a KC turbo and it was taken as lies.
I thought this board was to share experiences with different setups. Maybe I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Old 07-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
All I posted on this thread was a response to "bhirmiz" About my experiences with the KC. And then came in the T4 mob. I even offered in a other thread some of Corey's customers ( CNCFAB) opinion's towing heavy with a KC turbo and it was taken as lies.
I thought this board was to share experiences with different setups. Maybe I was wrong.
Hardly a mob, but I can see how you might feel that way since there are very few others singing the praises of the KC turbo compared to the SXE.

Granny shifting or shifting like you give a crap about your truck and want it to last a while. No way in hell do I shift as fast as an automatic does in my ZF6. I would say it takes a good 1.5 - 2 seconds for me to shift from one gear to another when accelerating. Guess my strip times would be 20 seconds, but I don't care about drag times. I want 1:1 ratio and clean boost in the teens to low 20's because you don't need high boost numbers to tow heavy.

I for one, am here to learn from others as I have been for the years I have been a member here. As I said, each person made a choice and it was their choice to make. I have provided my backstop information as to why I made my choice to go with a T4 setup. For me it is an easy choice even when looking at apples to apples.

Your offer in another thread of what Corey's customers are seeing was met with a few questions by me, which were never addressed. I did not take it as lies, just thought that the numbers are not realistic or a good representation of towing and there is so much data missing that it cannot be considered.

You were not wrong about sharing experiences, that is exactly what you and I and others are doing. We are stating facts about our experiences. Although, there are a lot more facts from the "T4 Mob" being given than the "KC Crew" and that is why you feel like you are being singled out.

Just for continuity sake, below are my questions regarding the picture from Corey at CNC Fabrication, which I have been a customer of and spoken to Corey several times about his business and the products he offers.

Original post here... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-power-2.html

Specific post with questions that were viewed as calling someone a liar here... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post18063705

For those that don't feel like clicking the links, I have pasted the questions I asked below concerning the photo and information BLUEMAX65 is referencing. I am sorry that I just don't see 729 degrees being a viable temperature for towing a grade, especially since that is more in line with unloaded going up a rolling hill at 65 MPH.

Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Handy1, we all hope you find your path and are very happy with your choice. Keep us updated.

I know Corey (CNC Fabrication owner) on a professional level and have spoken to him many times on the phone. He makes some great products and supplies us 7.3 owners with great products so we don't have to search the web for them.

That said, I have a very hard time believing that the picture posted above originally by Corey on FaceBook and then again further up in the thread by BlueMax65.

I have a couple of issues with the photo and they are as follows.

1. The grade does not look like much of a grade to me. It looks more like a long rolling hill like we have in the low country of SC where it is a steady incline for a mile or so. I would consider a grade something like in TN or out west.
2. It is difficult to get a good representation of the hill based on the single photo because we don't know the angle and where the driver is at in the grade. Are they in the valley just starting up the hill, are they in the first 1/8 mile? We just don't know.
3. 729 degrees pulling a 14K lbs 5th wheel? Where is the EGT probe located at on the truck. Is it in the manifold like most of us have it or is it in the downpipe which would indicate the reading makes more sense but not a true reading of the EGT's.
4. My truck (not all trucks are created equal) will hover around 600-800 EGT when driving 65 MPH in 5th gear (ZF6 manual) unloaded. Again, the 729 degrees is hard to believe with all things being equal. I am not saying it is not true, just have to see it in person or in a video that has good representation of the load behind the truck and the road/grade/hill it is traveling on at the given speed.
5. We cannot see the speed or RPM of the vehicle.
6. Is there a trailer behind the truck and if so, how do you know?

Anytime a turbo comparison video or image is posted, there should be all sorts of qualifiers provided. Tune selected, who the tune is written by, injectors, speed, RPM, manifold vs exhaust back pressure, etc...

Again, I am not saying that the picture is not real, I am just saying that I am a person that has to see things to believe it and this is not seeing anything other than a colorful display of numbers at some random point of the owner driving the truck.

People lie all the time about what they have done or what they are doing to make themselves feel better about their actions or choices, especially on the internet. It is much more difficult to swallow your pride and admit that you are human and made a mistake in judgement and move on from that. I make mistakes every day, it happens and I am not afraid to admit it. How we move forward or learn from those mistakes is what sets us apart as individuals.

I will now retreat into the shadows and drink my beer with my back against the wall like I tend to do anyway...

Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 PM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.

How am I all over the place? Just suggesting another approach.

Unless he is granny shifting maybe. My truck doesn't shift that quick at all. I left it in drive and slipped all the way down. I watched the tach go all over the place

My fuel pressure dropped in my 40 hp tow tune. After the fuel system upgrade it picked up a bunch of HP/Trq.

I said you were all over the place because first you said:

Can you show me a SXE truck that can run numbers like that with just the basic mod's my truck has?
I did, then you said:

At this point, our conversation is going in circles and really won’t help anyone. The question that revived this thread was about towing performance, and IMO, nothing short of compounds will outperform a properly sized SXE in terms of power throughout the rpm range while keeping EGTs in check. There is a cost factor at play, but that’s a personal decision.

I’ll shut up about it once someone posts a video of a KC equipped 7.3 pulling at the same rpm and boost levels, under 1200egt, in overdrive, smoke free!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
Iíll shut up about it once someone posts a video of a KC equipped 7.3 pulling at the same rpm and boost levels, under 1200egt, in overdrive, smoke free!
Here you go....oh wait that was an SXE

Try this....oh wait that was hot with out even towing....hmmmm

Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Now that I'm back to pulling this.

I'm going the T4 SXE364.5....when funds allow.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 PM
brokestroke
Junior User
brokestroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stated the S363 had a 74mm turbine, was it an SXE series and journal bearing? Interested in why it didn't work well. From my view, that compressor wheel had a giant hub, so much so that it might as well been a stock 60mm.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:01 PM
The Brad
Elder User
Originally Posted by brokestroke View Post
Stated the S363 had a 74mm turbine, was it an SXE series and journal bearing? Interested in why it didn't work well. From my view, that compressor wheel had a giant hub, so much so that it might as well been a stock 60mm.
Basically, KC copied the profile of the SXE compressor and turbine wheels, then reversed them and put them in a housing and a ball bearing CHRA (A genius idea IMO). The results were fairly successful in the sense that the KC38R seems to outperform the Garrett 38r, but, IMO, not quite as well as the original SXE (which was heralded as a game changer after its debut in 2015). For some reason the KC63 didnít pan out in terms of towing performance. My guess is because of the different compressor and turbine housing and/or the fact that the KC compressor wheel is billet vs. the SXE wheel being a FMW (forged milled wheel).

There was talk of a KC364.5 awhile back, but that seems to be on the back burner. Iíll bet KC is keeping plenty busy keeping up with the demand for the KC38R and their successful line of 6.0 turbos.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 PM
brokestroke
Junior User

Basically, KC copied the profile of the SXE compressor and turbine wheels, then reversed them and put them in a housing and a ball bearing CHRA (A genius idea IMO). The results were fairly successful in the sense that the KC38R seems to outperform the Garrett 38r, but, IMO, not quite as well as the original SXE (which was heralded as a game changer after its debut in 2015). For some reason the KC63 didnít pan out in terms of towing performance. My guess is because of the different compressor and turbine housing and/or the fact that the KC compressor wheel is billet vs. the SXE wheel being a FMW (forged milled wheel).

There was talk of a KC364.5 awhile back, but that seems to be on the back burner. Iíll bet KC is keeping plenty busy keeping up with the demand for the KC38R and their successful line of 6.0 turbos.
I am aware of all of this information and run KC SXE parts myself with good success. Was it stated in this thread if it was BB or journal bearing? Did the OP have stock injectors?

Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
I am aware of all of this information and run KC SXE parts myself with good success. Was it stated in this thread if it was BB or journal bearing? Did the OP have stock injectors?
BB...yes and stock injector...yes

Old 07-11-2018, 05:22 PM
The Brad
Elder User
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. What is your setup? I donít see a sig.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:42 PM
brokestroke
Junior User

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. What is your setup? I donít see a sig.
I am running an SXE Van turbo, 1.15ar, 70mm exducer, billet compressor, ported housing. Stock injectors.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:51 PM
The Brad
Elder User
I am running an SXE Van turbo, 1.15ar, 70mm exducer, billet compressor, ported housing. Stock injectors.
How does it work? I only know of one other guy who bought that set up, but he never ran it. He ended up buying a KC38R, but he still has egt issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.