Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Old 07-08-2018, 02:42 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bhirmiz View Post
i want to get the kc, can you give and update cooper? what you have now and how is it. i need gor towing too. gor my 02 ex.
The KC turbo did not perform as designed/intended. It went back to KC and I jumped shipped as a beta tester.

The Brad talked me into a real SXE turbo by Borg Warner and I couldnt be happier. EGTs do not exist and my last 2100 mile trip towing was effortlessly.

1100 degrees, 60-65 mph up 6% grades running 35s was nice. IMHO either stick with a stock turbo or go T4 with a Borg Warner SXE. Its tried and true.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:04 PM
bhirmiz
New User
bhirmiz is starting off with a positive reputation.
so why didn't you try the new version KC38R or the gtp38r max? im being recommended by Charlie the kc38r. .84 ar ... i tow a 9600lb travel trailer and i and pulling in Arizona's extreme environment over 105įf weather and going up and down mountains. I just want to get a turbo once. i have a 4in exhaust and SCT ts livewire, in the future ill get stage 1.5 160 or 180 cc injectors.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:33 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
so why didn't you try the new version KC38R or the gtp38r max? im being recommended by Charlie the kc38r. .84 ar ... i tow a 9600lb travel trailer and i and pulling in Arizona's extreme environment over 105įf weather and going up and down mountains. I just want to get a turbo once. i have a 4in exhaust and SCT ts livewire, in the future ill get stage 1.5 160 or 180 cc injectors.
The KC38R 363 was the newest version I tested (at the time not sure whats going on these days).

I wasted some much time testing that it was cutting into my family time. Like you, I was ready 'to get a turbo once' (or one last time in my case) and knew what I needed to do.

Having had a molested stock turbo, a BB drop in turbo and now a BW SXE, I can tell you with out question anything beyond an upgraded stock turbo is a waste of time and money unless its a T4 plumbed turbo. The BW SXE is the real deal. PERIOD.

Here are a few pictures of my gauges, mph, rpms etc on a 6% grade hill that I hit at 50 mph and finished at 62 mph. This is running a 40-45HP tune towing the below trailer at 8K foot of elevation in Colorado.

Look at the EGTs....1175 or so. Had this been any other turbo I've had in the past, I would have been in a heavy tow tune, 2nd gear and 45 mph and 1250 degrees.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM
bhirmiz
New User
my stuff

Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
What tune? Flat or Hill? How steep? ? Stock tires?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM
bhirmiz
New User
hill or mountain 6 to 8 %grade, 305s tires, currently stock tune. its arizona north.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
BLUEMAX65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My KC38R-366 has been flawless. My Truck is more street performance oriented than a tow pig. I'm in Phoenix myself. I have only towed a empty triple axle car hauler running a SDK tune. Up the hill from Phoenix to flagstaff. On top of having 20 psi of fuel pressure. I only saw 1200* On the steepest climb.

Everyone's truck is different. Some of the people on this board couldn't get the KC to work on there truck and some did with great success.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
If you’re happy with 1200 degrees while pulling less than 1/3 of your truck’s towing capacity, combined with much less wind resistance than a toy hauler or coach, then I’m glad you’re happy. This debate has gone on for a while now and I’ve yet to see anything perform as well as the SXE. I am, however, hearing a lot of dissatisfaction with the KC while towing heavy and managing EGTs.

Bluemax, I still don’t understand what makes your truck more performance than tow oriented? It seems to me, switching to a tow tune would change all that.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
For anyone else following along, below is a link to my decision and how I arrived to it concerning the KC vs. Borg Warner.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...been-made.html

Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
So you're at 1200 and you are not in OD?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
For anyone else following along, below is a link to my decision and how I arrived to it concerning the KC vs. Borg Warner.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...been-made.html
I appreciate that post....but that isn't an apples to apples comparison. IMO, I don't think that the AIS will handle the extra flow of the SXE....my opinion.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
BLUEMAX65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
If youíre happy with 1200 degrees while pulling less than 1/3 of your truckís towing capacity, combined with much less wind resistance than a toy hauler or coach, then Iím glad youíre happy. This debate has gone on for a while now and Iíve yet to see anything perform as well as the SXE. I am, however, hearing a lot of dissatisfaction with the KC while towing heavy and managing EGTs.

Bluemax, I still donít understand what makes your truck more performance than tow oriented? It seems to me, switching to a tow tune would change all that.

Maybe you missed the part about my fuel pressure?? Since adding some of the components you recommend my Egt's have gone down greatly. Wind resistance on a 38' triple axle trailer @ 9k empty ( No car but full of everything to support it ) Is still a comparison. I haven't towed anything since my fuel system has been added. I'm sure it will be fine.

The reason I say my truck is more of a performance oriented build. 238/100's Not to many people run these for towing. If that was my goal to build a tow pig I would of done something like 160/80"s. This truck is a toy for me. 3 wks. ago after running my drag car I took my truck out for a pass and ran a 13.96 @ 93 mph. On a bone stock trans that lost first gear right after that pass. Can you show me a SXE truck that can run numbers like that with just the basic mod's my truck has?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
This truck has 238/100s and a 366/74/1.0 and is grossing over 23k and he’s lugging the crap out of it to prove how well the SXE does.

He also ran the 1/4 in 14.9 @ 97mph weighing 8k. He’s a second slower due to being a 6 speed.

Here’s the thread SXE Heavy Tow Videos - PowerStrokeArmy

[quote=BLUEMAX65] Wind resistance on a 38' triple axle trailer @ 9k empty ( No car but full of everything to support it ) Is still a comparison. I haven't towed anything since my fuel system has been added. I'm sure it will be fine.[/qoute]
Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65 View Post
So far going to Flagstaff from Phoenix pulling 5k on my towing tune ive seen 1280* @ 2200rpm.

OK, whats yours at??
So, is your trailer 5k or 9k?

Old 07-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
I appreciate that post....but that isn't an apples to apples comparison. IMO, I don't think that the AIS will handle the extra flow of the SXE....my opinion.
You are right and I have since revised the list which is one of the last posts in the thread noted above. I have a good friend that is going to provide his 6637 set up at no cost.

Even then though, once I get the T4/SXE installed and all of the OEM take off and modified take off parts sold, I will be under $1800 for a total cost for the T4/SXE.

Seems like apples to apples since the revised list has been posted. Either way, each point I made about the differences is valid without the list of parts.

KC38R - $1500 and might be just fine

BW 364.5 SXE - $1800 or less and will work great for sure

To each their own, but I know with 100% confidence I will be happy with the SXE and the KC would be a gamble at relatively the same overall cost.

Easy choice...

Old 07-09-2018, 01:47 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
So, is your trailer 5k or 9k?
Maybe he has two trailers? The 9K pound one produces EGTs of 1200 degrees and the 5K pound one produces EGTs of 1280 degrees

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.