Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Old 07-03-2017, 10:28 AM
RacinJasonWV
Freshman User
RacinJasonWV is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribing to get some update. I was talking to Charlie about removing my 38r and being a tester for this unit as well. But my wife broke her leg Thursday before I made the order. The mature adult in me says I should save our money for the hospital bills..... looks like I'll be going back to my stock turbo and installing a WW2. �� FYI I'm wanting to make the change because towing with the 38r hasn't been working out real well. Unless I want to tow at 80mph. lol.
Looking forward to the update.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV View Post
Subscribing to get some update. I was talking to Charlie about removing my 38r and being a tester for this unit as well. But my wife broke her leg Thursday before I made the order. The mature adult in me says I should save our money for the hospital bills..... looks like I'll be going back to my stock turbo and installing a WW2. �� FYI I'm wanting to make the change because towing with the 38r hasn't been working out real well. Unless I want to tow at 80mph. lol.
Looking forward to the update.
Is the 38R not working well because of the RPM required to get the turbo to spool up? What injectors and airbox are you running?

Based on my research throughout the interweb tubes, I have seen reference to 3 different models of turbos by KC that have not hit the street yet. There are several out there being tested and evaluated. Some with great results, others with non-desired results (higher EGT's, spool time, etc), but still good. It all comes down to the tunes on the truck, the hardware on the truck and what condition that hardware is in.

The results that we will see in this thread in the future will not be the same results that SkySkiJason will see with his 69mm version of this turbo.

I am looking forward to this product being refined and put out on the street though. I will be a customer of Charlie's (KC Turbos) in the not too distant future, but not sure which product I will be purchasing as of yet.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:14 AM
RacinJasonWV
Freshman User
Sorry, it won't let me add a signature yet since I just re-registered. I previously had an account here but it must have timed out.
Anyways I've got a 2001 90k mile automatic with PHP tunes, 38r, 4" exhaust, deleted EBPV, 6637 air filter, STOCK injectors.
I pull a 24' box trailer. Recently our local track closed so my tow distance has tripled. Im seeing high EGTs at cruise speed. No I really don't think I have any type of leak, actually maintaining more boost than my uncles similar truck without the 38r. That makes the high EGTs seem strange to me. If I crank it up and run at a higher rpm and a hotter tune it seems to do better.
I've spoken with a few companies about this and they all say the same thing. A stock injector truck isn't best suited for the 38r. Of course this is completely different than all the internet raves I saw before purchasing. PHP highly recommends TC Turbos so I spoke with Charlie who said the same thing about my 38r. He recommended this turbo for my purposes. (At least I think it was this one. A 63mm turbo similar to a S363) I was sort of planning on doing until the wife broke her leg.
One of the things that concerned me was getting an early release unit that wouldnt have the possible future tweaks based on real world testing. Also purchasing a high ticket item with little reviews. Of course that's what the "testers" are for so that would just be part of it.
I'm curious how well this works, I'm sure it will be awesome!
For me though I think I'd be a better "adult" if I just purchased the WW2 to save the cash now. lol
Sorry to sidetrack the OP's thread.

Last edited by RacinJasonWV; 07-03-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Forgot a line.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:01 PM
akcooper9
Senior User
akcooper9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I finished the install Friday night and have put 50 miles or so on the turbo. 20 were an easy break in as requested by KC.

Haven't spent much time testing due to spending family time at the lake the past two days

Ill have more of a review as time goes one but I will say, the turbo is much quieter vs the ported housing I had on the stock turbo. It also spools and lights extremely quick.

Name:  2017-06-30%2019.51.07_zps4g8vciff.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  291.3 KB

Old 07-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Engine bay looks nice and clean. Good work! We are all looking forward to what you come up with in regards to your thoughts.

Scouring the interwebs for reviews is difficult as there are not many of these out there. Family time is important too though, so take care of that first.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 AM
RacinJasonWV
Freshman User
Good work, Looks great!
I'm anxious to hear the results but know family time is much more important than truck time. Enjoy the time together.
Soooo how would you trade for a slightly used 38r? lol

Old 08-06-2017, 07:50 AM
RacinJasonWV
Freshman User
Any updates?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 AM
cps
Elder User
cps is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cps is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
subscribing..............

Old 08-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
I have been emailing back and forth with Aaron almost daily about his testing for a while now. I have informed him that "the hounds are at the door". I am sure once he has time, he will be by to provide his opinions and results on the testing he has been doing for Charlie (KC Turbos).

Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM
akcooper9
Senior User
akcooper9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Over the past month or so, I’ve been testing this 363 style turbo. Started out with a .84 housing and then swapping in a 1.0 housing. After trying both turbine housings results are this turbo works well, spools fast, runs clean etc BUT both Charlie and I agree that it does not perform as good as planned. Here is why:

EGTs still get up around past 1300 on a hot tow tune while towing but still very manageable with the right foot or a lower tow tune. Boost could be higher as well.

In a nut shell, this turbo is not going to make the KC Turbo lineup... not because it was a bad turbo, but because it’s not as good as we had hoped for. It’s going back to the drawing board to be re-tooled. If you check out KC’s website, the 366 is replacing the 38r and there are hints of a 364.5?!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:05 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Sad to hear it did not work out for you. I talked to Charlie about the 366 and found out it will replace the 38r. Good to see the website updated with new pics. looks cool

Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
Thanks for the update. Have always heard good things about KC turbos - for the 7.3L and the 6.0L's. The guys here at the local diesel performance shop recommend the as well.....

Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 AM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
Akcooper and I have been on the phone almost daily talking about this turbo and running it through its paces. The bar is set high since we're comparing it to my 364.5sxe which performs amazing. Edison made a thousand failed attempts at the light bulb, so kudos to KC Turbos for spending the time and money to bring a drop in turbo that performes like an SXE at a price much lower than buying a T4 kit to the market for a truck that's been out of production for almost 15 years. It sounds like KC Turbos won't rest until they come out with a game changer.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM
RacinJasonWV
Freshman User
Thanks for the update!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:35 AM
bhirmiz
New User
bhirmiz is starting off with a positive reputation.
need update.

i want to get the kc, can you give and update cooper? what you have now and how is it. i need gor towing too. gor my 02 ex.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KC38R 363 Turbo Install & Review

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.