Replacing Tub/Shower Faucet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:22 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,671 Likes on 2,741 Posts
Replacing Tub/Shower Faucet?

In the photo below the picture is NOT upside down. My faucet it upside down - note the drip. I removed the tub nozzle because it was pointing straight UP. The prior owner left it that way.

I need to know how to remove the assembly it from the wall so I can flip it over so the hot faucet is on the correct side - or at least swap handles. Unfortunately, I suspect that the faucet was left this way because the outlet for the shower hose would have hit the bulge above the faucet.

I'm making this up as I go, I'm not sure what to do. Do I need a completely different faucet?

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2017, 09:39 AM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
Any way to access the rear of that and just switch water lines from 1 side to the other? Then of course swap handles. Worse come to worse cut and swap the pex tubing with splicers where you can get at them. Hard to believe it came that way new.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:38 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I don't believe it came that way new. The prior owner acknowledged that he put it in after ordering one that didn't fit right. One of the problems I have is that I don't know what was originally there so I can't tell what the right one is to order.

Yesterday I quickly checked for access to the back of the faucet and I don't think I found it.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
They sure don't make it easy when they assemble first and then put the walls up. I'm trying to get the courage up (and funds) to go to the dealer and get a single handle installed. I might stop in and try to talk to the guy in the shop and see if he would give me any tips first.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM
EastCoastSD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
In the photo below the picture is NOT upside down. My faucet it upside down - note the drip. I removed the tub nozzle because it was pointing straight UP. The prior owner left it that way.

I need to know how to remove the assembly it from the wall so I can flip it over so the hot faucet is on the correct side - or at least swap handles. Unfortunately, I suspect that the faucet was left this way because the outlet for the shower hose would have hit the bulge above the faucet.

I'm making this up as I go, I'm not sure what to do. Do I need a completely different faucet?
What year, make, model RV?
Curious if you have a wider picture. Wondering what the bump out above the fixture is for?

Since there is no access to the fittings, I'm wondering if you pop off the caps on the top of the handles, remove the set screws and handles and maybe the lower trim cover will lift off to reveal what's going on underneath. The fitting for the shower feed is threaded and will accept an Allen wrench if that needs to be removed to lift the trim.

I'm wondering if the PO didn't just glue and screw it to the wall since he mentioned fitment issues?

Old 06-26-2017, 07:45 PM
EastCoastSD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exploded view of a similar, if not the same fixture.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I tried to pry the caps off the handles, but I didn't try too hard. It did look like they should come off. I'll give that a try when I'm next at the trailer.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Jim, So we're on the same page the hot water is on the left but has the cold handle on it and the cold water on the right with the hot handle on it because the PO flipping of the faucet for clearance issues with the object above? Correct?
Does your shower area actually have a tub so there would be a faucet need? If it is just a shower floor area with no high rise area like a tub then you just need to get a shower head fixture similar to this White Two Handle Shower Valve with Vacuum Breaker
so the hose connects to the bottom.

As far as taking it of you should be able to pry/ pop op off the H/ C covers on the ***** and unscrew the ***** off, the square cover should come off and you'll see where the connection is. Pretty straight foward after the cover is off.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I think you nailed it. The clearance with the object above is why the prior owner flipped the fixture. It does have a tub, not that you would use the tub except for a child, so I think I still need to keep the tub nozzle.

I was thinking of adding a 90° bend fitting to the outlet for the shower hose. That way it doesn't get pinched trying to make that turn (which it is doing now). This assumes that I can swap the handle covers and also get the tub nozzle to turn 180° so it isn't pointing straight up.

Here is a picture of the faucet with the bump on the wall. My wife took this picture (bless her heart). I think she took pictures of everything just so she can keep track of when I'm "upgrading" things.

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:25 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
What prevents you from just rotating the tub spout 180 degrees? I it has a key of some type maybe you can modify the locating pin to allow rotation.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:38 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
What prevents you from just rotating the tub spout 180 degrees? I it has a key of some type maybe you can modify the locating pin to allow rotation.
The outlet from the faucet to the shower hose will probably hit the part of the shower wall above the faucet.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
If you havent already it looks like it could use some caulking around where the surround meets the tub. Water is one of enemies in the RV.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:29 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by scraprat
If you havent already it looks like it could use some caulking around where the surround meets the tub. Water is one of enemies in the RV.
That wouldn't surprise me if it needed caulk. The tub/shower hasn't been used yet and it's kind of far down on my list to make it 100% usable. But the upside down tub nozzle bothers me.

Last edited by HRTKD; 06-28-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 06-28-2017, 04:04 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
The way it is now your faucet can be a dandelion/ wild flower holder when not in use.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:08 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by scraprat
The way it is now your faucet can be a dandelion/ wild flower holder when not in use.
I'll suggest that to my wife and I'll let you know how that goes. If you don't hear from me, you should assume the worst.

Quick Reply: Replacing Tub/Shower Faucet?