1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help. Need to fix truck to get to job site

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:27 PM
VkngRekkr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help. Need to fix truck to get to job site

How's it goin everyone. I have a 99 F350 7.3 dually. Just got it in November and it's been sitting for 3 months because I can't move it and don't know anything about diesel's or Super Duty's. My WTS light won't come on, my fuel pump isn't getting any power, and my glow plug solenoid is getting power, but not pushing power. I had issue's starting it when I first got it if I missed a day of driving it around because the batteries were bad. My girlfriend and I moved from Denver to Oklahoma City and had no issues towing my 16' camper. All the power in the world compared to what I'm used to. But when we got here and I missed a day of starting it even charging the batteries wouldn't get it to start. Bought two new batteries and it cranks just fine. Just won't start. There's a little bit of an oil leak and my wires are pretty nasty, ICP sensor is pretty oily and I read that could be the issue. But even unplugging it didn't work. All my fuses and relays are good. Thought it might be the fuel pump and went to buy a new one. But didn't put it on because there's no power going to the fuel pump. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I gotta leave for a solar farm in Florida next week and don't have a lot of money. Might be ****ed, but I really hope not. If you're in OKC and would be willing to help me figure it out even better. I don't know a whole lot about Ford trucks. But really want to work on it myself and learn how to turn this limping beast in to the monster I know it can be. Thank you in advance =)

Last edited by VkngRekkr; 06-23-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: missed a step
Old 06-23-2017, 04:24 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but if the basic issue is that your batteries are running down (even after charging them), then that's potentially the problem. I'd suggest sticking two brand new batteries in (i assume you have two). If it starts right up with the new batteries, check your alternator right away to make sure it's charging them properly. If it is, you might have a parasitic draw; you could temporarily get around that by unhooking your batteries each time you shut off the engine.

Good luck

Old 06-23-2017, 04:32 PM
VkngRekkr
New User
****. I'm sorry. I didn't include in there that I did buy two new batteries. It cranks like no ones business. Just won't start

Old 06-24-2017, 08:17 AM
Disordinate
New User
If you have no power to the fuel pump id start there. Sounds like you potentially have a few issues here. Some may be you start issue some may not (at the moment atleast).

So id start simple, dont over think it yet. Power strokes need to spin at a good speed, so new batteries was a good start. if your 100% your relays and fuses are all good, Id check the wiring to the fuel pump its self then. I have also seen the under dash fuse panel go bad. So even if your relays and fuses are good make sure you have power going in to the fuse panel where it should and going out where it should.

If you need diagrams and stuff I can try to dig around for them. I should have them somewhere

Old 06-24-2017, 09:15 AM
VkngRekkr
New User
We hot wired my fuel pump to my glow plug relay, pump kicks on and pressurizes now. Still no WTS light. It came with a TS Performance chip in it. Someone told me if that pops off while the batteries are connected it has a high possibility of frying the ECM. Haha no ****, the under dash fuse panel can go bad? I mean obviously anything can, but that would suck. I've used a test light on all the fuses and they're good. If you have any diagrams sir I would definitely appreciate that. Thank you

Old 06-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Disordinate
New User
alright so its definelty a power issue to the pump. yea iv heard that before also. was never a fan of those chips. yup, seen it more then once. it gets wet and corrodes inside or it fries in certain spots. Thats why id check that power is coming out of it. and roll under the truck tracing the wiring path for some sign of a rub or damage. if you have power out of the fuse panel for the fuel pump but cant find damage in the wiring without tearing the harness apart it would probably be easier to run new wires from the panel to the pump.
Sure, i should be heading to the shop this weekend to grab a few things, ill see if i can find wiring diagrams for you

Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 AM
VkngRekkr
New User
This might help. Totally forgot I rented a code reader a month ago. Plugged it in and it said it can't establish a connection. I think it's my ECM

Old 06-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Disordinate
New User
very well could be. id also check for power at the obd connecter. that is also fused in the under dash fuse panel, same fuse as the cigarette lighter.

im 98% sure thats the right pin-out diagram for your truck

Old 06-24-2017, 10:23 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Pin #16 on ALL vehicles, '96 to present will have power at all times.

Have you checked your PCM power relay? Have you checked all powers and grounds to the PCM? Better yet, if you can "borrow" a known good PCM from another 7.3L truck for testing purposes, to swap in temporarily to see if it starts, that'll tell you very quickly.