Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Will a new Ecoboost meet my needs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Most people do NOT have issues with any of the EB motors. Recalls are literally a way of life in the modern car world. It's not a bad thing, or a quality problem, it's actually a solution and shows the ongoing efforts of all the manufacturers to ensure a good ownership experience. Calling it a huge problem is not accurate. I promise you most EB motors that come through here used neither receive nor need new spark plugs. Condensation is always a problem in tight humid environments, good thing the fix is so easy right?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Man! That's a great find from the very beginnings of the ecoboost era! We had some wicked known drag out fights back then. I was skeptical due to the issues of the 80's but, after opening my mind a bit and reading, learning and absorbing some material, I quickly learned that Ford had addressed these issues from the 80's and more.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and another and another. Going forward from here, I now know where the initial piece of maintenance needs to happen in order to mitigate any misfires. Knowing this info will make future experiences much more pleasurable.

I tried to rep ya brother, I'm currently out of scooby snacks.
Thanks!

I've been meaning to ask this noob question for awhile, but what are 'Reps'? Been on FTE for over a year, and I'm still trying to find my way around here!

Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You have two little green "chiclets", so someone has rep'd you, meaning added to your reputation. That's done by clicking the scales when posting.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Cobra
Why should you as a consumer have to deal with a half baked design? Why do you as a consumer have to change spark plugs at very frequent intervals and drill a 1/16" intercooler weep hole just to make it drive correctly? This makes no sense. It is a faulty design that ford spent numerous years and TSBs on and it still is a huge problem.
And on the old pushrod engines, you were more than happy to change plugs, wires, rotor caps, etc. every 30K miles because it was part of normal operation.

Additionally, if you owned 4x4 trucks and you actually serviced them correctly, you took the time to repack wheel bearings every 30K miles and regrease the spindles and gears in the hubs. Perhaps you changed your oil every 3000 miles in accordance with the owner's guide and you dumped your coolant every 30K as well. Then you packed your ball joints every oil change and packed your U joints every 30K. Do you remember these days sir or are you too young to know what actually owning and operating a truck was like?

What in the hell is your point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Cobra
I don't know anyone that has had a positive 3.5 ecoboost experience.
How is it that I personally know at least 6 EcoBoost owners, and none of them have "problems" with their EcoBoost engines. That, and I know of dozens on this very forum that are not having problems. You must live on a different planet!

Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
93Cobra has about 16 pages of posts most of which are filled with EcoBoost bashing.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I am on another F150 forum and we had a guy over there that got kicked off because of his continuous bashing. However he would pick fights.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
It seems as if he is trying to get numerous posts about EB issues so they will pop up when doing a Google search. He is on a mission and is using this site for his dirty work.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Great, show a 3 year old post. Less than 100 complaints, Ford sells thousands of F150's every day. It is the Best selling vehicle in the US and over 50% are Ecoboost motors. so that is less than 1% of the Production. I am starting to think you are a simply a troll. I scanned your posts and find nothing that contributes.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd bet he's never even touched an EcoBoost or owned a truck.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:03 PM
93Cobra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do your research- the ecoboost is very problematic.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Why would ford continue to build an engine which according to you is so bad, why would they risk having to fix them all? How come there is so many on the road still? You could find enough negative post about every damn engine ever made to make a case that they are horrible so where is your crusade against any of them? Take you crap to the Chevy or dodge forums they would love you.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 AM
93Cobra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is why the engine was redesigned for 17... based on the terrible feedback and lack of longevity. However, in this redesign, they maintained most of the inherent design issues that caused most of the problems. The only thing they really solved was reducing the amount of coking on the backside of the valves.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why would ford continue to build an engine which according to you is so bad, why would they risk having to fix them all?
I don't want to take Cobra's side on any of this but... The Powershift transmission is finally being phased out after 5 years of actual problems. Cycles take awhile to come up with solutions, everything has to meet an EPA and union standard. We, as a society, have elected government to ensure nothing can be fixed quickly. But that being said, there is not an issue with ANY of the EB motors (which are many different families of motors in reality), that come close to the Powershift problems. Most trucks will get to 200k without significant repairs, and that's being proven every day now as the first F150 models with them are 6 years old now.

But to suggest that new generations of motors show an implied problem with the old one, that's foolish too. There was nothing wrong with the flathead for Pete's sake, and the Y blocks had oiling issues if folks even considered skipping an oil change, but at the same time, a well cared for Y block would outlast a flatty and power for the same displacement went up almost 20%.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
If there was a huge issue with EB they could sway the sheep with marketing toward the 5.0 and lower the negative impact. With the trans there wasn't really another option so they did have to ride the storm until a replacement was developed.

EB's main "issue" is one suffered by every intercooled vehicle. Condensation build up happens, there are many ways to deal with it and ford has some issues with managing it, but so has other manufacturers in the past. There are 10's of thousands of EB engines running around the country/world, a handful of people having an issue isn't uncommon.

Quick Reply: Will a new Ecoboost meet my needs?