General Automotive Discussion
View Poll Results: Would you pay a dealer markup on a vehicle like the new Raptor?
Yes
0%
No
100.00%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Dealership marups - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Patrick R.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question of the Week: Dealership marups - Yay or Nay?

For our newest Question of the Week, we want to know if ever have paid or ever would pay a big dealership markup on a hot, new model?

For example, when the 2017 Ford F150 Raptor first hit dealerships, some places were adding $5,000-$30,000 on top of the MSRP due to the demand.

So, have you paid an upcharge like this in the past, or would you in the future, for the right vehicle?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Never, nope, no.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:44 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't pay an "upcharge" on any new vehicle. Especially since it's probably been driven around as a "demo" by the dealerships' owners or members of the owner's families who have management positions at the dealerships. Back to in 2006, The wife and I tried to by a new 06 Chevy Impala SS at one dealership. I noticed as I test drove the car it had 7,500 miles on it. Yes 7,500 on a "new" car. When it came time for the negotiation, they quoted me sticker price right at the jump. I said "Hold it, your trying to sell me a used car at sticker price? They said, " It's not a used car!" . I said "How in the hell is a car with 7,500 miles NOT a used car? Their response "Technically it's not used. It has not been titled yet".
We walked and bought one at a smaller dealership, with almost no miles on it. Like a new car is supposed to have.

Sorry I am so cynical. I have seen new cars being driven around by the dealership folks, and they seem to having a little too much fun especially with the sportier, performance models.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hooler1
Personally, I wouldn't pay an "upcharge" on any new vehicle. Especially since it's probably been driven around as a "demo" by the dealerships' owners or members of the owner's families who have management positions at the dealerships. Back to in 2006, The wife and I tried to by a new 06 Chevy Impala SS at one dealership. I noticed as I test drove the car it had 7,500 miles on it. Yes 7,500 on a "new" car. When it came time for the negotiation, they quoted me sticker price right at the jump. I said "Hold it, your trying to sell me a used car at sticker price? They said, " It's not a used car!" . I said "How in the hell is a car with 7,500 miles NOT a used car? Their response "Technically it's not used. It has not been titled yet".
We walked and bought one at a smaller dealership, with almost no miles on it. Like a new car is supposed to have.

Sorry I am so cynical. I have seen new cars being driven around by the dealership folks, and they seem to having a little too much fun especially with the sportier, performance models.
It depends on the state but my son works at a dealership. He's aware of all the BS they need to toss at customers but generally somewhere around the 1500 mile mark makes it a used vehicle. Again, every state/place is different but he makes more money selling a used car than he does selling a new one. He was thrilled to be able to sell a 2017 as a used vehicle last week. In any case, walking away like you did is the best way to deal with clowns like that.

As far as the OP question goes. No. No and No

Old 06-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Resto Guy
Mountain Pass
I worked at a Chrysler stealership many years ago. Cars that people were willing to pay above MSRP and lining up to buy before delivery: Viper, Prowler, and the much hyped and sought after PT Cruiser.
I doubt any of those buyers are now thinking it was a wise move.

Pay over sticker for ANY pick up truck? Nope.