2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

6.2 w/ 4.30 at 80 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:46 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtuser
Thank you again for all of your responses. I think I am going to go ahead and order a Crew Cab, Long Box, XLT Value Package, FX4, with the 4.3's. I feel like the XLT is a pretty good value, it's hard to justify the extra 5k for leather seats. And XLT rebates seem to be better. Once again, thank you for your responses.

Take a look at the premium package....worth it IMO.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Torvvald
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kry226
This is why I don't use trailer tires any more, for any reason. Period. Not because I'm an advocate for towing at high speeds, but because I had a Goodyear Marathon sidewall blow out on a highway on-ramp, well under their 65 mph limit. I am OCD about tires and pressures, so it was a tire failure plain and simple. A bit of research says my experience isn't unique. Good thing it was on my flatbed and only marginally bent the fender. On my travel trailer, it most likely would have been thousands of dollars in damage. LT, E-Rated tires for me.
I hear ya! That's why I've got a TPMS on my trailer tires. Been thinking of changing to LT's but the sidewall thing has me a little worried. We all know what those tires do when turning tight corners and trailer tires have stronger sidewalls than LT's for that very reason. Still....

Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IF you're going to drive at 80 MPH most of the time I don't think it's going to make much difference what the gear ratio is. Your fuel economy is going to suck. I've never been able to figure out why anyone feels compelled to drive at the speed limit or higher based on the speed limit.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:42 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

The maximum speed limit for several western states (including MT) is 80.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_..._United_States

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,626 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Torvvald
Cruisin' at 80 mph in my truck? Not for me. If I wanna go that fast I'll jump in my wife's go-fast car. 65 is a great speed for my truck and my chances of surviving a crash at 65 because of some dumb**** is doing something stupid are substantially better than driving at 80mph. Oh, and if I'm towing my 5th wheel, you'll blow by me as I drive at 55mph to 60mph. Funny that most folks towing trailers and 5'ers never check the speed rating of their trailer tires. A majority are rated at 65mph or less! Just my most humble opinion...
Why not go with "COMMERCIAL GRADE" trailer tires?? One can get them rated for 75-87 MPH; load range G (14 <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym>). Then set your cruise at say 65 and enjoy the ride, knowing that you aren't pushing your tires to the limit!! Personally, I will trust a tire like that much further that a 65 MPH tire at 55 in 100 degree heat.
I can also just about guarantee that my tires at 100 PSI on a 100 degree day are running cooler than your LT tires are at 70 PSI. Just food for thought. And now back to our regularly scheduled program. Thank you, and sorry about the hi-jack

Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 AM
daVincidoc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shortride
IF you're going to drive at 80 MPH most of the time I don't think it's going to make much difference what the gear ratio is. Your fuel economy is going to suck. I've never been able to figure out why anyone feels compelled to drive at the speed limit or higher based on the speed limit.

No one is "compelled" to drive at the speed limit although at times those that feel "compelled" to drive at substantially slower speeds than the speed limit are the true road hazards. When you have open freeway in South Dakota and Montana with almost no traffic and a vehicle that is stable at such speeds, and the driver is accomplished/healthy enough to handle those speeds I am fine with it--hence the higher speed limits in those states. Towing obviously another story.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM
CRSFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by shortride
Left lane "squatters" who go exactly the speed limit, and refuse to move to the right are far worse "offenders" in my book than someone driving 80........

Old 06-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a common "argument" played out by lead foot drivers nowadays that slow drivers are the ones that are road hazards. This is false.

The truth is that too many people simply drive too fast because the vehicle 'feels' comfortable at speed when they don't have any unforeseen things going on in front of them. This is their cardinal mistake: they are driving on a public road where ANYTHING can happen, and not a closed course where uncertainties are reduced.

Ever wonder why uses closed courses when they have the press test out the new Raptors, SDs, and Mustangs? Its because these vehicles can accelerate and handle at much higher speeds than any engineer/physicist would consider safe in actual reality where unexpected obstacles exist.

In the real world, you occasionally encounter things like slower drivers, livestock, wildlife, rocks, tires and other crap that fell out or off of somebody's rig. When lead-foot drivers almost get themselves killed emergency braking because of a slower vehicle, they blame the slow driver when road debris would be even slower. Go figure. Welcome to 20 "its always somebody else's fault" 17.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CRSFX4
Left lane "squatters" who go exactly the speed limit, and refuse to move to the right are far worse "offenders" in my book than someone driving 80........
Agreed. I drive from South Florida to Central Michigan now and again and, let me tell you, the slow drivers who are using the Interstate to go grocery shopping are the biggest hazard on the road. They use the left hand lane because it's smoother and won't move over.

I'll go by them, cut in close on them and give them a little blast on the horn in doing so.

Hogging the left lane is one of the most dangerous things a person can do on the Interstate. Very dangerous.

There's a reason for the law that says you should only use the left lane for passing.

It saves lives.

And if driving 80 MPH frightens you? Stay home.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,626 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Hey All:

This is my first post but I have watching this forum for a while and it has sure been helpful, so thank you. I am getting ready to place and order on a new super duty and I am really struggling with what gears to get in the 6.2. I know this topic has been beat to death, and I have read every comment I can find, but I am looking for some specific feedback as to what your experience is at 80 MPH with each gear set.

In Montana our Interstate speed limit is 80MPH and while I would prefer the 4.3 rear end for towing, mountain and town driving, I am concerned the mileage drop could be significant at 80. The vehicle will be used as a daily driver, will tow with it probably 10 times a year (max weight of 10,000), and will also be used as the family rig. For our empty trips on the interstate at 80 mph will the 4.3's reduce our mileage by much from the 3.73's? I'm not worried about a galloon difference but I don't want to be running at 10 miles a gallon on unloaded trips across our big state with the family. Really struggling between the 3.73 and 4.3 decision.

Oh and I am looking at a 250 so I can get the G transmission, which people seem to be liking better in the 6.2. Thanks in advance for your help. I really wish more dealers would carry a 4.3 on the lot so they could be compared!
Above is the topic at hand, and I think the OP has probably left the scene.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:19 AM
chickfisher69
Junior User
I had a 2010 f350 diesel dully, didn't need the dully any more so I bought I a 2016 f 250 gas and the constant high rpm for any acceleration drove me nuts and the 8-10 mpg was even worse traded it in and went back to the power and 15-18 mpg of the diesel . I will never go back to a gas . It had a 3.73 rear axle

Old 06-25-2017, 03:18 PM
INeomfd
New User
Hey All:

This is my first post but I have watching this forum for a while and it has sure been helpful, so thank you. I am getting ready to place and order on a new super duty and I am really struggling with what gears to get in the 6.2. I know this topic has been beat to death, and I have read every comment I can find, but I am looking for some specific feedback as to what your experience is at 80 MPH with each gear set.

In Montana our Interstate speed limit is 80MPH and while I would prefer the 4.3 rear end for towing, mountain and town driving, I am concerned the mileage drop could be significant at 80. The vehicle will be used as a daily driver, will tow with it probably 10 times a year (max weight of 10,000), and will also be used as the family rig. For our empty trips on the interstate at 80 mph will the 4.3's reduce our mileage by much from the 3.73's? I'm not worried about a galloon difference but I don't want to be running at 10 miles a gallon on unloaded trips across our big state with the family. Really struggling between the 3.73 and 4.3 decision.

Oh and I am looking at a 250 so I can get the G transmission, which people seem to be liking better in the 6.2. Thanks in advance for your help. I really wish more dealers would carry a 4.3 on the lot so they could be compared!
I'm rolling with a 6.2 4.3. I've never ran the 3.73 but I've had no issues with the 4.3 in heavy winds and grades up to 5% so far. I've been in these conditions unloaded and with my 13k lb travel trailer. At 80 mph unloaded I'm running roughly 11-12 mpg and loaded with 13k I'm looking at 6-8 mpg depending on the grade and wind.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Barbero
Senior User
Red face Seat Comfort

Thank you again for all of your responses. I think I am going to go ahead and order a Crew Cab, Long Box, XLT Value Package, FX4, with the 4.3's. I feel like the XLT is a pretty good value, it's hard to justify the extra 5k for leather seats. And XLT rebates seem to be better. Once again, thank you for your responses.
You must not be married I had a Lariat package all optioned out just they way I wanted, then the dealer had my wife sit in a Platinum.... Those seats are nice. Our "compromise" was "letting" me get the King Ranch... Same quality seats, slightly lower price...

Old 11-05-2017, 12:59 PM
yelwinger
New User
In my 15 6.2 3.73 at 70 was under 2000 rpm with my new less than 1000 mile with 6.2 and 4.30 at 70 is over 2000 rpm I am getting about 1 mile per gallon better with 17 over the 15 running the same way to work and such. I have only pulled our 38ft fifth wheel about 4 miles from house to storage but what a big difference. Cant wait until next year I think the 17 will run circles around the 15,