1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

What is up with my new tires?

Old 08-08-2017, 05:50 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Thanks for the replies! Sorry for the delayed response but I went back to Discount tire and they told me they don't use bead sealer. What is showing comes from the excess "flash" on the bead seat from the tire molding process. This is apparently normal and since I'm not losing air, not a problem.
I still don't believe this is normal but I'm probably paranoid.
I have NEVER, in my 50 years around vehicles seen this before!
This said, its NOT normal!

We have a Discount Tire here in town that employs High School kids that have NO clue how to mount tires.

They have severely damaged/destroyed the bead on SEVERAL tires that I personally know about including mine and a few friends.

You should contact Michelin directly and show them your pictures and tell them who installed your tires.

I would DEMAND a brand new set of tires mounted by a true tire pro at Discount's expense.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:41 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
I would DEMAND a brand new set of tires mounted by a true tire pro at Discount's expense.
I'd want to know what it is before doing anything.
just have them pop the bead and look

PS , just got 2 LTX installed for 372.00 total

Old 08-09-2017, 07:57 AM
Zoidberg
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updated update

Thanks for all of your suggestions and time folks!
I contacted Michelin again and they recommended getting a second look. I called the first shop they suggested said they wouldn't do an inspection (but they sell Michelins???) so I called the second shop. I asked if I needed an appointment, they said they only do walk-ins for those.
I show up an hour later and they were too busy to get me in a bay but a tech came out and too a look. He was positive it was bead sealer, probably a lot was used because my wheels were rusty. Both the tire sales lady and the tech said everybody uses at least a little bead sealer to help seat the tire.
Since nobody wants to take a tire off, Mr. Bibendum will be stuck inside for several thousand more miles.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 AM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reality of the situation finally settles on Mr Bib.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:38 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SO much for customer serive in the new milenium. I'm in customer service myself and I do my level best to make things right for my customers, even though I've been called on the carpet by higher ups for going too far but what do they expect? Screw the custormer one time for a large amount of money? Forget about return/repeat customers? WDF runamok.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:50 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 165 Likes on 152 Posts
Over the years I guess people have become more transient and most companies feel they can just replace a customer.
Just like the word FREE...
Years ago I had Sprint for cell service. After my contract ran out and I was paying month to month.
One day I received a call from Sprint telling me what a good customer I had been and they wanted to reward me with a free phone.
I said: GREAT!
The guy said: Ok then I will sign you up for a new 2 year contract.
I said: No I don't want a contract, I just want the FREE phone you told me I would receive for being a good customer.
The guy said: Oh no, you have to sign a contract to get the free phone.
I ask: What is your definition of FREE?
His definition still included signing a contract and I hung up on him!

I have a set of Good Year Wrangler LT tires on my var right now and will never put another set back on any of my cars. I will never get thew mileage out of them and they are already showing sings of slight dry rot cracking after 2 years..