2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Change your own oil, don't trust anyone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Change your own oil, don't trust anyone!

For years I would pay for someone to change my oil. It seemed easier to not have to deal with it and sometimes it was even cheaper than I could buy the materials to do it myself.
Now here are a few reasons why I will never again let anyone change my oil. (not even for free)
#1 It takes too long, my dealership is 45 minutes away and everytime I've went in for a simple oil change I end up spending 2 hours waiting. Then another 45 minutes back home. It takes me less than 30 minutes to do it myself.
#2 Who's actually changing your oil? Do you think just because your at the Ford dealership that an ASE gold certified technician is changing your oil? Nope, it's the kid who just started. That is an entry level position that most of the time requires no experience. Trust me I did it in when I was in high school.
#3 Are you really getting that full synthetic oil that you asked for and the proper weight? You'll never know. Most places have their oil in bulk, it comes out of a pump so even if your watching you have no clue what is going in your truck.
I took a new vehicle in for its 1st (complimentary) oil change once, and the dealership put 5w30 in when it calls for 5w20, maybe not a big deal to some but I was not happy!
#4 Mistakes will be made, trust me through the years I had issues with my oil changes more often than not. I've had oil caps left off multiple times, oil filters not on tight enough, wrong oil, oil stains inside vehicle, and they can never seem to get the oil level correct on the dip stick, it's either too low or too much, (this drives my crazy).
#5 Piece of mind, when I do it it's done right, and I know it.

These are just a few reasons i change my own oil, I'm interested in hearing others thoughts and experiences.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM
malbanese45
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't agree more with above statement. With the possible exception of lug nut torque, there's not a single more important thing than the oil.

"Never let the monkey play with your banana "

Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I have for the most part changed my own oil since my first car in high school. It is simple to do and still something you can do yourself. I have been fortunate enough to always have a place to change it. Until I bought my own house I used my parent's garage. Over the years the used oil drop off place has changed, but I always find a place to take it.

The following is off topic, but along the same lines of self sufficiency.
I have a few minimum tasks I told my 15yo he must master if he wants to drive: changing oil, changing a flat tire, jumping a dead battery, and driving a stick. There are others but these are the minimum. The last one is a must. A manual transmission is a car jacker/thief prevention tool.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 AM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
For years I would pay for someone to change my oil. It seemed easier to not have to deal with it and sometimes it was even cheaper than I could buy the materials to do it myself.
Now here are a few reasons why I will never again let anyone change my oil. (not even for free)
#1 It takes too long, my dealership is 45 minutes away and everytime I've went in for a simple oil change I end up spending 2 hours waiting. Then another 45 minutes back home. It takes me less than 30 minutes to do it myself.
#2 Who's actually changing your oil? Do you think just because your at the Ford dealership that an ASE gold certified technician it's changing your oil? Nope, it's the kid who just started. That is an entry level position that most of the time requires no experience. Trust me I did it in when I was in high school.
#3 Are you really getting that full synthetic oil that you asked for and the proper weight? You'll never know. Most places have their oil in bulk, it comes out of a pump so even if your watching you have no clue what is going in your truck.
I took a new vehicle in for its 1st (complimentary) oil change once, and the dealership put 5w30 in when it calls for 5w20, maybe not a big deal to some but I was not happy!
#4 Mistakes will be made, trust me through the years I had issues with my oil changes more often than not. I've had oil caps left off multiple times, oil filters not on tight enough, wrong oil, oil stains inside vehicle, and they can never seem to get the oil level correct on the dip stick, it's either too low or too much, (this drives my crazy).
#5 Piece of mind, when I do it it's done right, and I know it.

These are just a few reasons i change my own oil, I'm interested in hearing others thoughts and experiences.

I trust others to change my oil. No, not just any center, only ones I have a relationship with. Your point #4. Yep. No one, and I mean no one is perfect. Not even you. Mistakes can happen, even to the highly seasoned and educated technician. Oil change issue, how hard can it be one says. Probably the most basic vehicle maintenance. Still stuff happens. Please don't take offense as I mean no malice. I understand your thought process and it is one many adhere to. I am not saying it is wrong, it is not.

Sam

Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by SESWIM
I trust others to change my oil. No, not just any center, only ones I have a relationship with. Your point #4. Yep. No one, and I mean no one is perfect. Not even you. Mistakes can happen, even to the highly seasoned and educated technician. Oil change issue, how hard can it be one says. Probably the most basic vehicle maintenance. Still stuff happens. Please don't take offense as I mean no malice. I understand your thought process and it is one many adhere to. I am not saying it is wrong, it is not.

Sam
No offense taken, and your absolutely right about no one being perfect, I don't claim to be. However I haven't made many errors changing my oil over the years, (can't say the same for others). And if I do make a mistake then I can't be upset with anybody except myself.
I guarantee you that nobody cares about my truck as much as I do.
This is based off my experiences only, therefore I will no longer trust anyone to change my oil.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Blue6.2;17275572]
I guarantee you that nobody cares about my truck as much as I do.

And that is a fact that one can not refute.

Sam

Old 06-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by JeepPuller

The following is off topic, but along the same lines of self sufficiency.
I have a few minimum tasks I told my 15yo he must master if he wants to drive: changing oil, changing a flat tire, jumping a dead battery, and driving a stick. There are others but these are the minimum. The last one is a must. A manual transmission is a car jacker/thief prevention tool.
That is how I was raised. Those simple skills will be with him the rest of his life and will always be appreciated.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Bansai
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd probably still do my own, but honestly, I just can't be trusted to return the used oil in a timely manner. I had 8 gallons of it in my garage at the beginning of spring time this year. Some of that used oil was 5+ years old. I actually enjoy doing my own oil changes, if I could come up with a better solution for the used oil, I'd still be doing them. Maybe I should build an oil fired stove or something...

Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's an awfully lot of complacency and laziness these days at a lot of places that pay minimum wages for sometimes skilled labor. Unfortunately I have to depend on my dealership if I want to continue to get free oil changes for life.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by shortride
Unfortunately I have to depend on my dealership if I want to continue to get free oil changes for life.
This is understandable, definitely an exception.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bansai
I'd probably still do my own, but honestly, I just can't be trusted to return the used oil in a timely manner. I had 8 gallons of it in my garage at the beginning of spring time this year. Some of that used oil was 5+ years old. I actually enjoy doing my own oil changes, if I could come up with a better solution for the used oil, I'd still be doing them. Maybe I should build an oil fired stove or something...
Lol, I've been there, I've accumulated several gallons in the past myself, I've since had to discipline myself to dispose of it after each oil change, I just make this part of my routine now.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:17 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use a 5 gallon container for used oil. The max ant. the auto parts store will take at one time. Keeps private repair shops from dumping large quantities on them.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Driver's Ed in High School had a stick shift Rambler we had to drive in order to pass. Lucky one of my uncles had a '53 Belair Chevy with a standard tranny and let me practice on it. Changing oil...grease jobs and most of my parents work on their cars were done by me and my brother. In the mid 60's both of us had cars we raced so it wasn't uncommon for my Dad to chew us out for changing clutches..camshafts...manifolds and carbs in his garage and leaving the floor dirty!! The driver's ed teacher was also my baseball coach and he made everyone trace the gasoline from the pump and what it end's up doing through the vehicle and back out the exhaust. Most people have no idea what takes place! I have a 16 yr old grandson that I showed him how to check tire pressure..oil and coolant level and he still won't do it on a weekly basis. These young-un's are something else!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:30 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Bansai
Used motor oil has $ value, small quantities, not so much. These places that will take used oil get paid for it. I've had luck putting it on CL. One guy said he would take all I could accumulate. He was firing a small aluminum foundry with it. At the time, I was accumulating what came out of four vehicles and a couple tractors, not much but he was glad to get it, five-ten gal at a time.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
Lol, I've been there, I've accumulated several gallons in the past myself, I've since had to discipline myself to dispose of it after each oil change, I just make this part of my routine now.
When I worked at a Texaco fuel terminal years ago we would dump used oil into a slop tank that later would be pumped into a bunker c tank and be used for ship fuel! Lots of people burned waste oil or used it for termite treatment or killing weeds.

Quick Reply: Change your own oil, don't trust anyone!