2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer camera mounting on 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:05 AM
rockymtns
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer camera mounting on 5th wheel

Getting ready to mount the trailer camera to the back of my Cougar 36' 5th wheel. Anyone do this yet? Mount camera to back of rear edge or on top of black trim piece? Also I can't decide which is better to run the cable on top or underneath unit. It came with some barbed tabs that look like the would go in plastic sheeting underneath ? Any suggestion appreciated..

Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Merlin053
Senior User
Ran mine underneath and mounted the camera on my bike rack

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,628 Likes on 2,730 Posts
I ran mine over the top, but mine is a TT toy hauler, not a fifth wheel. You might need an extension cable to reach that far. Ford sells one.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM
firefighter7804
Junior User
On my 35 foot 5th wheel, I mounted the camera just under rear window. Routed cable over to roof ladder. Followed down the ladder supports then under rv. Zip tied to propane line that runs all the way to the front. Passed cable up into propane cylinder compartment into center storage/generator compartment which opens up under the 5th wheel overhang. Mounted the TPMS receiver in this compartment. I then had to drill a hole in the front wall to run the cable to the pin box. Couldn't use the same route that the 7 way plug cable was run. Had more cable than needed. Took some time, but I'm happy with the install. All working good.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:22 PM
manowell
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by firefighter7804
I then had to drill a hole in the front wall to run the cable to the pin box. Couldn't use the same route that the 7 way plug cable was run. Had more cable than needed.
This last part is the part that's challenging me. I've looked at is six ways, don't want to pull the panel over the bin box down...

Old 06-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is how it's done on mine... Mine is 34' 5th wheel (36' with the bike rack down) and I had a bout 3 foot of extra cable I coiled up.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
I got this kit in the mail a couple weeks ago. Got busy and just now am researching how to get all connected. Dear Lord! FoMoCo...CONGRATULATIONS! You have successfully made easy, HARD! This kit should have come with a disclaimer that it's not designed for 5th wheels. I have a choice between screwing a dozen and a half screws through my brand new 5th wheels rubber roof or opening the seal on the underside, running the cable to the rear and then running a dozen and a half screws through the exterior paneling of my 5th wheel. I'm about to send it back.

I am coming to the realization that those are the only realistic mounting options. Neither is anything less than a monumental pain in the rear.

Some genius sat in a big conference room and convinced everybody to sign off on a wired camera in the 21st century wireless world. Then I have to have the TPMS sensors installed professionally. Yeah...I'll just drag the 'ol fiver over to Discount Tire or my local Ford dealership.

I am beside myself.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
BTW. Excellent video Johnpsz. Gives me a lot to consider.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Jet, I took the cable over the top of my trailer. There were enough things up there to secure the cable to. I have it secured to the solar panel bracket and then the roof rack. I routed it by a couple other things to keep it a secure as possible.

Like you found, there weren't any great options. I simply picked the least worse option that required as little work on my part that also required the least amount of intrusion into the trailer's skin.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
The least bad option about sums it up. Going to tak some sleuthing to find an acceptable route up to the roof. My other option is to do like the video, use the LP gas line to the rear, come out and run up the rear corner somehow and along the upper rear corner. Thankfully the 5er came with a center high camera mount. If it doesn't match the Ford camera exactly, I can at least use the same holes to screw the ford mount on.

Regarding the ford chord chord working with an aftermarket camera, I'm not aware of any yet. I believe the chord is proprietary.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 AM
rockymtns
Freshman User
camera mountin on 5th wheel

I felt the same way when I opened it. I just ran it like HRTKD did, over the top and wire tied it to vents and antenna base. I used those self sticking wire tie holders to run down the front edge to the hitch assembly.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
A wireless solution would be great, but it would still need power somehow. At least the Ford option doesn't require a tie-in to power.

I have a wireless backup camera on my Titan. It doesn't take much to get interference. My neighbor's baby-cam easily drowns out my backup-cam.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM
isu_deerslayer
New User
Not much of an electrician, but I didnt order the trailer camera and now and having second thoughts. Does anyone know if aftermarket ones can still be plugged in and play without issue? Dont really want to drop $800 on the Ford camera when I can get after market ones for $100. I dont need TPMS as I already have wireless ones.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM
fmf15e
New User
system worked great

I installed the factory camera/TPMS on my 41 ft. 5th wheel toyhauler. I ran the cable through the pinbox and used a fiberglass rod to send a cord and then the cable under the front cover. I ran the cable under the trailer and then up the back ramp about 3 feet for a camera that was about 5 feet from the ground. I ordered some TV wall cable covers to cover the cable running up the back ramp, but have not installed them.
The system worked great and during my 700 mile trip, the TPMS alerted me to a slow leak in one of my 6 tires and I was able to air it up a few times and make it home without incident. The real value was the alert which popped up in the dash indicating low pressure and the ability to monitor the pressure real time.

FM
2017 F350 CCSB Platinum 6.7

Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 PM
rbrockman
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran the cable to plug-in to the in-bed box. The cable is routed through the pin-box, and then down into the front storage area. The TPMS/Camera connections are made within the front storage area. From the front storage area I ran the cables down and under the fifth wheel. One runs to the TPMS sensor box, and the other runs all the way to the rear camera supported every 6" or so by cable ties. I tried mounting the camera at various heights, and ended up mounting it at about 3' high right above the rear bumper. The view is perfect for seeing anything behind the fifth wheel when backing up.