1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Steering/suspension/brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:28 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering/suspension/brakes...

My truck wanders down the road plus the brakes are terrible, and I plan to fix that before I start really using it for anything.
So, I'm planning to replace the front end parts that are worn. Springs, shocks, and bushings.
At the same time while it's apart in going to re-seal the power steering gears, replace the rag joint and the rod ends.
Also fixing the brake system- new cylinders, lines, and hoses along with the 1978 vacuum booster and the exploder master cylinder.
Everything seems pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure on some of the parts. I'm about to put in an order for parts but I wanted to ask you guys for some help to make sure I get the right parts.
Several parts have been swapped out by a PO. My truck is a 69 F250 but lots of the parts are from later vehicles.
First question is on the calipers up front. They are Dayton - marked 2/13/75
Part # appears to be 8971c3318
I can't find any relevant info on Google with this number. What did these come off?
Next question is on the axles. If they are swapped from a later vehicle as well, the bushings will be different than a 69 won't they?
I'm planning to order the 'polygraphite' rebuild kit from PST.
Anything else to watch out for that could be a gotcha?
​​​​​​

Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
On the I beams there will be some engineering numbers on them I can cross over. They will tell me what year span truck they came off of. Sounds like maybe the PO replaced drum front brakes with disc off a Dentside truck. Might still have manual brake master cylinder and brake distribution valve. Should be a disc brake master and a proportioning valve for discs. You might post pics to show if I'm right or not.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:47 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't over look the tie-rod ends and the drag link

Old 06-24-2017, 11:41 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
Don't over look the tie-rod ends and the drag link
The steering gear box is on my bench right now, I've finished up re-sealing it and getting ready to re-install it. It was easier than I thought it would be. Hopefully it will hold up and was worth the time to do rather than buying a rebuilt unit. I've got a new rag joint to go in at the same time but still need to disassemble the original one.
I took out the master cylinder and booster to make everything easier to get to, as I am replacing these parts too. I've fabricated new brake lines to go from the master cylinder down to the distribution block and from there to the front brakes. I'll do the rest of the lines and check out the distribution block after the steering is back together.
I'm planning to replace the bushings at the spindles when I do the calipers and rotors and + the I-beam bushings, but I'm trying to keep it to one or two things at a time to avoid overwhelming myself and to spread out the cost.

I was wondering about those steering joints but don't know a lot about them. Is there a good way to check the drag link and tie rods while it's apart, before I reinstall the steering gear?

​​​​​​

Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
On the I beams there will be some engineering numbers on them I can cross over. They will tell me what year span truck they came off of. Sounds like maybe the PO replaced drum front brakes with disc off a Dentside truck. Might still have manual brake master cylinder and brake distribution valve. Should be a disc brake master and a proportioning valve for discs. You might post pics to show if I'm right or not.
I'll have to look for those axle numbers in the morning. From what I understand, they could be original in a 69 F250.

Here's the master cylinder that was on it. It looks like a disc MC as the reservoirs are not the same size for the front and back.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:56 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
On the tie-rods/drag link, my preferred way to check is with a helper ( before it's taken apart) to rock the steering wheel and look for movement at the connection points. If it is taken apart, grab the connection bolt. If it's loose or has tight spots (hitch in the giddy up) replace them.
Good thinking in NOT getting too spread out. Good luck on the gear box! I tried to do one years ago and messed it up like a soup sandwich.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
the axle number near where the shock is perched appears to be
C9TA-8-A2 followed by what looks like maybe a sideways 'zero' or 'O'.

Here's the distribution valve that's on it:
the part# for this appears to be
N O8TA-2B257-S
Is this for discs on the front and drums on the back?

Old 06-26-2017, 04:36 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
I've got the distribution block taken apart. I found the rebuild kit for and it's not expensive, but I want to be sure it's the correct distribution block for my application before I go any farther with it.

Edit:
I found a post by numberdummy from almost ten years ago (!) which clarified this:

ID number: C8TA-2B257-S / Ford part number: C8TZ-2B257-G .. Brake Differential Proportioning Valve

Fits: 1968/72 F250 2WD & F350 with disc brakes

So I'll go ahead and order the rebuild kit from muscle car research.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The brake valve in your photo is a pressure differential valve. If you have factory front discs on your F250, there'll be a stand-alone metering valve attached to the front crossmember going to the front discs.

There wasn't any proportioning function going to the rear drums on the factory F250/F350 optional front disc brake trucks. Proportioning didn't come into being on the trucks until '74.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
The brake valve in your photo is a pressure differential valve. If you have factory front discs on your F250, there'll be a stand-alone metering valve attached to the front crossmember going to the front discs.

There wasn't any proportioning function going to the rear drums on the factory F250/F350 optional front disc brake trucks. Proportioning didn't come into being on the trucks until '74.
yes, I'm seeing the valve on the crossmember. I had thought it was just a 't'. This setup should work fine with the dual diaphragm booster and Explorer MC then, right?

I was looking at this booster on the auction site:
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=201601559454
Will this fit? I have one of each style of Bell housing.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:51 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Personally, I think the factory Bendix booster/mounting brackets/plastic dust boot are a better choice (dual diaphragm booster p/n 54-73112). It's actually engineered to be a direct fit to the firewall.

'68-'72 dual diaphragm (non-bellcrank bracket) boosters will have an adjustable input rod between the brake pedal and the back of the booster. Dentside versions of this booster don't have an adjustable input rod. I have the Dentside version in my '69 F100 from a '75 F350.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Thanks Ultraranger. I've got the booster you recommended and an Explorer M/C on the way. I've got most of my hard lines ready except for the one going from the distribution block back to the rear axle - one 25' roll of brake line was not enough.
I'm glad I'm going through them all though, these were hanging out on my truck:

Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
You'll need the booster-to-firewall mounting brackets and the plastic dust boot, like the ones pictured here.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Yep. That's all factory Bumpside parts. I just wanted to make sure your PO didn't start out with a Drum brake truck and put on a newer system. Which would have been fine if All parts were replaced. Now you know what you got.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM
SteveJH
Senior User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
You'll need the booster-to-firewall mounting brackets and the plastic dust boot, like the ones pictured here.

those are the same brackets on my truck originally-

My booster and MC are here. I have a question. The MC has this port where I expected the front brake line to plug in. The spot for the front brake line is on the other side. What is this port and can I just plug it with a fat short bolt?

Quick Reply: Steering/suspension/brakes...