Bike rack fail, back of 5th wheel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Bike rack fail, back of 5th wheel

Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Junior User

ForeverFixing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bike rack fail, back of 5th wheel

I had been looking at new bike racks but didn't see one I wanted yet so I kept using my Yakima 4 bike carrier. Now I get to rebuild three bikes. The swivel that lets the rack rotate sideways let loose and the bikes were drug down the highway. It could have been worse but the search will continue. May go to a front hitch and carry them on the front of the truck now. Everything has its problems.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Then you'd have also run over them.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Posting Guru

djousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to all
I contemplated adding a factory optioned bike rack receiver on my Cardinal. Unfortunately, I missed the window in the ordering process, but in hindsight, following some rigs down the road and witnessing how much they bounce, I'm glad I did not. the leverage of the bouncing would look to just about rip apart any traditional bike rack. The only possible exception *might* be one of this style:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...35xt-_-1691038

Where it is a platform style, right off the hitch, vs. a vertical "arm" style rack.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM
New User

Bardeenm1! is starting off with a positive reputation.
I feel your pain. Trashed our bikes last year with the bike rack my wife purchased last year. The worst part was this was about 2 miles from Liberty Harbor RV in the heart of Jersey city as if towing in that environment isn't fun enough!

I ended up modifying that back rack that is fixed to the frame of my 5vr and can be removed with 4 pins or swung up to the back of the camper.

We did get the money for the rack back but no money for our trashed bikes.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Not sure if your trailer frames would work like this. I cut the bumper off mine, made some rails that slide inside the frame rails. This way when I need it I pull two pins and pull it out. When I need to store it the opposite. Works great for me. And very stable. When pulled out there is 6' of the arms left in the frame rails.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Senior User

SecondChance is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SecondChance is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Few bike racks are designed to withstand the dynamic forces generated at the back of a fifth wheel or travel trailer going down the road. We use a Swagman RV bike rack with a 2" square bar that fits the 2" frame-mounted receiver exactly. We are full-timers and my wife drives behind in the Toyota on travel days. 18,000 miles in 22 months - some of it on really bad roads - and my wife says the bikes never move. We have a good travel cover on them and they've never sustained any damage related to being carried on the RV. Now, the bent rear derailleur when she fell over riding the bike is a different story...

Rob
Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 PM
Postmaster

scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
I contemplated adding a factory optioned bike rack receiver on my Cardinal. Unfortunately, I missed the window in the ordering process, but in hindsight, following some rigs down the road and witnessing how much they bounce, I'm glad I did not. the leverage of the bouncing would look to just about rip apart any traditional bike rack. The only possible exception *might* be one of this style:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...35xt-_-1691038

Where it is a platform style, right off the hitch, vs. a vertical "arm" style rack.
That's the style I added to the fifth wheel.
Works great and feels stout.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Posting Guru

djousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to alldjousma is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
That's the style I added to the fifth wheel.
Works great and feels stout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Yep! Both of those look good. Especially the one with the beverage....hahaha. they both are platform style with much less "leverage" than the typical bike rack.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Post Fiend

golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Here is where I carried mine on the 5er.

Name:  IMG_20120603_113235_zpsl2tjeidn.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  200.3 KB
Name:  IMG_20120527_195018-1.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  155.1 KB
Foldable 3 bike rack from DiscountRamps.com
Name:  P1040262.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  80.1 KB
Name:  P1040274.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  86.6 KB
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2017, 04:25 AM
Senior User

burgy is starting off with a positive reputation.
That setup adds a good bit of weight to the pin. Is it noticeable?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 AM
Post Fiend

golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Not at all. It adds maybe 130 pounds. Much better than being on the back. Plus the bikes are in the rear view mirror where you can see them. They barely move. Had been carrying them this way for 6 years until I sold the camper. My partner's daughter still uses the set up.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Junior User

ForeverFixing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Here is where I carried mine on the 5er.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/golfmedik/P1040274.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I sure like the looks of that mount. Did you built it or is it available somewhere?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Elder User

brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFixing View Post
I sure like the looks of that mount. Did you built it or is it available somewhere?
It was made for him or he did it (I forgot). I remember reading the thread about making it and it is on my to do list.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Senior User

garmford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I saw what Monty did and made my own version. It works great.