Bike rack fail, back of 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ForeverFixing
I sure like the looks of that mount. Did you built it or is it available somewhere?
I made it out of an old 12" section of an old 10" I-beam. Cut it on a 22* angle, flipped it over, cut one of the flanges off, welded a Harbor freight receiver on the top. Wasn't quite high enough for my liking due to my low profile tool box being so close, so I added another receiver with stock 1/2" x 2" steel as the riser.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Awhile back I was thinking about a ladder rack for bikes. we did decided against it.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:41 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My Swagman XP 4-bike works great on the back of my 5th wheel. I used the wimpy 1.25" hitch that my RV came with (plus 2" adapter) and made brackets to also attach it to the square bumper - very strong. The bracket I made was from a 24" T316 stainless steel bar I bought from Amazon.

Be sure to get the non-hinged bike rack; the hinged versions aren't RV-rated.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Jboog
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Yakima's aren't rated for use on the back of a camper. We had to buy a RV specific bike rack and they aren't easy to find.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jboog
The Yakima's aren't rated for use on the back of a camper. We had to buy a RV specific bike rack and they aren't easy to find.
Swagman has several racks that are "RV rated." Ours has been traveling around the country with two comfort bikes on it for about 20K miles, now. My wife follows behind in the Toyota on travel days and says the bikes don't wiggle our bounce at all.

Rob

Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Are you sure or is Yakima just falsely using these images?
https://www.yakima.com/longhaul
https://www.yakima.com/roadtrip

To be honest if the bike rack has a 2" receiver how does it know if it's atteched to an RV, Pickup or car? Now if your useing a bikerack that has less than a 2" bar than you just might be asking for trouble unless you vehicle is a blacktop queen.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Jboog
New User
Every Yakima I read the instructions on said not for use on the back of an RV even though there's lots of pictures of them. I haven't looked in 2 years, so they may have a new model. Google the model and check the manual to be sure. I checked with my wife and ours is Swagman too, same as Rob. We had to buy it in the web because no local stores carried it.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When we upgraded our 5th wheel a couple years back, we lost or ability to carry a bike rack on the back. The bumper wasn't rated to carry any loads. This spring when we upgraded the tow vehicle I put a front receiver on the truck. Should have done it years ago. Now I got a place to put a bike rack, cargo carrier, or step to get my stumpy butt into the engine bay.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Every Yakima I read the instructions on said not for use on the back of an RV even though there's lots of pictures of them. I haven't looked in 2 years, so they may have a new model. Google the model and check the manual to be sure. I checked with my wife and ours is Swagman too, same as Rob. We had to buy it in the web because no local stores carried it.
Uhm... attached link...
The LongHaul is a bike rack designed, built, and thoroughly tested to stand up to the long miles and rigorous demands of RV and travel-trailer use. Durable, stable and secure, the LongHaul carries four bikes with ease in the SuperCush ZipStrip™ cradles. The LongHaul is easy on and off, includes folding arms and a built-in bottle opener. Exceptional security is built in with a full SKS security package that locks your bikes to the rack and the rack to the vehicle.

The RoadTrip is an RV approved bike rackdesigned, built, and thoroughly tested to stand up to the long miles and rigorous demands of RV and travel-trailer use.

Now I don't use these I have Thule carrier but when someone states that a certain brand isnt recommended you should be certain and not state or insinuate it as fact. 2 years is along time and it only took literally 1 minute with Yakima search.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Jboog
New User
Originally Posted by scraprat
Uhm... attached link...
The LongHaul is a bike rack designed, built, and thoroughly tested to stand up to the long miles and rigorous demands of RV and travel-trailer use. Durable, stable and secure, the LongHaul carries four bikes with ease in the SuperCush ZipStrip™ cradles. The LongHaul is easy on and off, includes folding arms and a built-in bottle opener. Exceptional security is built in with a full SKS security package that locks your bikes to the rack and the rack to the vehicle.

The RoadTrip is an RV approved bike rackdesigned, built, and thoroughly tested to stand up to the long miles and rigorous demands of RV and travel-trailer use.

Now I don't use these I have Thule carrier but when someone states that a certain brand isnt recommended you should be certain and not state or insinuate it as fact. 2 years is along time and it only took literally 1 minute with Yakima search.

No need to be a jerk. I caveated my response with when I looked at them. It's amazing just how rude people can be when hiding beta computer or phone.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:26 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
No need to be a jerk. I caveated my response with when I looked at them. It's amazing just how rude people can be when hiding beta computer or phone.
No, I can be just as blunt or rude if someone gives false advice even in person.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Jboog
New User
Uhm... attached link...

No, I can be just as blunt or rude if someone gives false advice even in person.
My experience isn't false advice. Maybe you should get your crap together before trying to be the Internet police. But hey, thanks for reminding me why I hate forums. People have to see just how rude they can be just to make themselves feel better.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
My deepest apologizes

Last edited by Stewart_H; 08-04-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Post edited for brevity, and to remove trollish language
Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
We keep our bikes inside the 5th wheel. 3 full size bikes and one 20" kids bike. I bought 4 of the bike fork mounts below and mounted them to the plywood that the makes up the kitchen table benches. I can fit all 4 bikes on top of the kitchen table when it is broken down. When we are using the kitchen table I just flip the plywood over for the benches and the fork mounts go down in the storage below the benches. Works great and the bikes are safe inside the camper.

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not going to help on the higher end trailers but I had the same issue with bike racks on the back of my mid range 5th with a standard box bumper. Seen some of those front mounts and like them alot but I went with a redneck solution. I've been good since using a good high quality bike rack that doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles . Had it welded to one of those bolt on recievers for the square bumper and to take the bounce out, I use ratchet straps from the bikes and the rack to each side of the bumper at the frame and just check the tightness at each fuel stop. Not high end but works very well.

Quick Reply: Bike rack fail, back of 5th wheel