2005 Ford 5.4L --PLEASE HELP P0345,P0349 I've tried everything!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 AM
astroup1227
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Ford 5.4L --PLEASE HELP P0345,P0349 I've tried everything!

This is a latch ditch effort before I have to sell my beloved F150.
2005 F150 FX4 5.4L 123,000 miles

Bought it used runs and drives great.
One day check engine light for p0345 and p0349 came on.
The truck still runs great except for sometimes stalling at a red light.
No other systems or misfires while driving are present. Drove it around a month before replacing any parts because the light would stay off for days/weeks at a time. Until one day it started coming on as soon as it got up to operating temp and would stall out multiple times.

Parts I've changed:
VCT solenoid-replaced with aftermarket. Didn't seem to help at all. Check engine light came on more frequently and would stall several times on the way to work at a stop.
Cam Sensor-replaced with aftermarket. No change
VCT solenoid-replaced with Ford. Thought it fixed the problem but took a day or two for the light to come back on. Hasn't died on me since replacing with the OE solenoid.
Cam Phaser-replaced with the updated Dorman model. Light stayed off a day or two but came back on.
Cam Sensor-tried another aftermarket just in case the first was defective. Same results.
**By the way when the cam phaser was being replaced I was helping the mechanic and he commented several times about just how clean the engine was. Zero sludge and the original cam phaser looked just fine.

So I've now replaced the VCT solenoid with Ford, cam sensor with aftermarket, and cam phaser with dorman.
I can't understand why it seems to be running better and shutting off less after replacing the VCT with Ford, but not fixing the problem.

What is left to replace?????
I really hate to pay someone to tear apart the whole front timing cover to hope its a timing tensioner. Can a little tensioner really be causing the light to keep coming on? And if so, why did it get really bad but then seem to get better for the past week?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:03 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by astroup1227
This is a latch ditch effort before I have to sell my beloved F150.
2005 F150 FX4 5.4L 123,000 miles

Bought it used runs and drives great.
One day check engine light for p0345 and p0349 came on.
The truck still runs great except for sometimes stalling at a red light.
No other systems or misfires while driving are present. Drove it around a month before replacing any parts because the light would stay off for days/weeks at a time. Until one day it started coming on as soon as it got up to operating temp and would stall out multiple times.

Parts I've changed:
VCT solenoid-replaced with aftermarket. Didn't seem to help at all. Check engine light came on more frequently and would stall several times on the way to work at a stop.
Cam Sensor-replaced with aftermarket. No change
VCT solenoid-replaced with Ford. Thought it fixed the problem but took a day or two for the light to come back on. Hasn't died on me since replacing with the OE solenoid.
Cam Phaser-replaced with the updated Dorman model. Light stayed off a day or two but came back on.
Cam Sensor-tried another aftermarket just in case the first was defective. Same results.
**By the way when the cam phaser was being replaced I was helping the mechanic and he commented several times about just how clean the engine was. Zero sludge and the original cam phaser looked just fine.

So I've now replaced the VCT solenoid with Ford, cam sensor with aftermarket, and cam phaser with dorman.
I can't understand why it seems to be running better and shutting off less after replacing the VCT with Ford, but not fixing the problem.

What is left to replace?????
I really hate to pay someone to tear apart the whole front timing cover to hope its a timing tensioner. Can a little tensioner really be causing the light to keep coming on? And if so, why did it get really bad but then seem to get better for the past week?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Some info suggests that you need to test your alternator, a blown diode may cause interference with the sensors ability to read correctly.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM
astroup1227
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard about that possible cause also but it doesn't make sense to me why that would cause the truck to die and then start right back up without problems.