AC plugs won't power laptop - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

AC plugs won't power laptop

Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Senior User

The Ace of Spades is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
AC plugs won't power laptop

Just wondering if anyone else has tried to power a laptop off either AC outlet? I can charge a cell phone off of them, but that's it so far. What gives?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Post Fiend

KubotaOrange76 has a great reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a great reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a great reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a great reputation on FTE.KubotaOrange76 has a great reputation on FTE.
Might as well not have them as far as im concerned, i havent been able to power more than a phone charger, no drill batteries, no laptop nothing
Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Elder User

SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Exclamation

I suspect the inverter's AC output is a "modified square wave" (MSW) rather than a true (or pure) sine wave like you get from AC wall outlets at home of from a high-quality TSW inverter. Some chargers (and other devices) aren't really compatible with MSW.

Check the laptop charger instructions and/or labeling, and try another "simple" load, such as a regular ol' 75W light bulb.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Tim

RugbyRef is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RugbyRef is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
I suspect the inverter's AC output is a "modified square wave" (MSW) rather than a true (or pure) sine wave...
I believe you are correct. I read this somewhere else when I was having the same issue with my (now sold) '15 F350.

Tim
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Senior User

Seastacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
I run my work lap top on mine all the time (Older HP Elite Book). I have a new one coming. If I have issues there I will report back if there is some compatibility issue with the new charger.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Senior User

Nimrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
I suspect the inverter's AC output is a "modified square wave" (MSW) rather than a true (or pure) sine wave like you get from AC wall outlets at home of from a high-quality TSW inverter. Some chargers (and other devices) aren't really compatible with MSW.

Check the laptop charger instructions and/or labeling, and try another "simple" load, such as a regular ol' 75W light bulb.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
This sounds plausible. I came to the conclusion it doesn't play well with smart chargers.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Postmaster

HRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud of
I pulled the UPS out of my office and tried to run it on the 120v AC in my F-350. No joy. So far, the ability to run only certain things isn't a huge problem. But if I find I need that power then I'll look into changing the inverter.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Elder User

k7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I pulled the UPS out of my office and tried to run it on the 120v AC in my F-350. No joy. So far, the ability to run only certain things isn't a huge problem. But if I find I need that power then I'll look into changing the inverter.
The 360* camera system uses the inverter. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with a better inverter, but stranger things have happened....
Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Senior User

manowell is starting off with a positive reputation.
I haven't had any issues charging camera or quadcopter batteries, or laptops. I want to put a meter on it now, though.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Posting Guru

fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.
manowell, what quadcopter do you have? My AC plugs won't charge my DJI Phantom batteries at all.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:32 PM
Post Fiend

troverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to behold
Ford has the most powerful inverter currently available, at 400W. So if it doesn't work, a RAM or GM won't work either.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Posting Guru

bushpilot has a very good reputation on FTE.bushpilot has a very good reputation on FTE.bushpilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
everyone understands the outlets only work when the truck is running correct?

I have no problem using, and charging my MacBook pro's (85w) using the AC outlets.
Laptop chargers consume less than 100w these days...and they do NOT need a purse sine wave inverter.

laptops (and even flat screen TV's) have their own internal/charger power supplies which condition the power....modified sine wave inverters work fine.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Elder User

EightySecond is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EightySecond is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine wouldn't run my laptop either, I was thinking there was something wrong with my receptacles in the truck but now it just appears to be some sort of crap design.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Posting Guru

fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.fordmantpw has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Ford has the most powerful inverter currently available, at 400W. So if it doesn't work, a RAM or GM won't work either.
It has to do with the QUALITY of the power, not the QUANTITY. Voltage plays a part too. If the voltage isn't high enough, many things simply won't work.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Posting Guru

bushpilot has a very good reputation on FTE.bushpilot has a very good reputation on FTE.bushpilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
ok for those having issues, have you measured the voltage coming out of the outlet?