SWB or LWB - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

SWB or LWB

Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Senior User

dlcorbett is starting off with a positive reputation.
SWB or LWB

After looking through the forum, (old posts) and trying to do the money math i think its also worthwhile to get owners thoughts. What are peoples experiences with the two different wheelbases? What are the pros and cons of the two? Is their anyone who would want to reverse their decision? Sorry if this post seems redundant.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Elder User

glockholiday is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the EL and think the short version would be unusable for me. Cant even fit a load of groceries behind the 3rd row. At least for my family of 5.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:41 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
If you often use the 3rd row for people, you should probably consider the EL. Even if you only use 2 rows, consider how much stuff you will usually carry while you have 4 people in the vehicle.

The EL can carry 4x8 sheets of stuff behind the front seat, which might be a consideration.

On the other hand, consider where you have to park the Expy; if you have an 18 foot deep garage spot, the EL ain't gonna fit...

George
Old 06-22-2017, 03:27 PM
New User

NevadaGeo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I come to the Expedition from driving F-150s for years. I have the SWB and really enjoy the turning radius. I sometimes use my Expy for geologic field work off road, so it makes sense for me.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Senior User

dlcorbett is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is the range btw the 2 that much greater? My nav now on thoughtful cruising(65ish) will do about 500 miles. I think the extra length kinda intimidates the wife.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:38 AM
Freshman User

hank_2010 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a regular and I wish it was the EL. I find that I constantly need that extra bit of space when I load something into the back. Not to mention as stated above, with the 3rd row seats up there is basically no cargo space behind them. The next one I buy will be an EL for sure!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcorbett View Post
Is the range btw the 2 that much greater? My nav now on thoughtful cruising(65ish) will do about 500 miles. I think the extra length kinda intimidates the wife.
If your wife is gonna be driving it and parking it at the mall/grocery store, etc, the extra length will make it tougher. When we had one of our full size vans, my wife was "hit by a parked car" once...

On range I think the regular length holds 28 gallons and the EL 33ish. My bladder will give out long before I use up 28 gallons.

George
Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Elder User

jh225 is starting off with a positive reputation.
EL

People in the front seats.
People in the 2nd row seats
300lbs of dogs in the rear cargo area with cage panel between 2nd row and rear cargo

Try doing that in the standard model.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Elder User

Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.
We've been looking at the EL's, and comparing them to the standard length. For us, I think we'll go EL. We have 4 labrador retrievers that take up a LOT of rear cargo space, and that's with the 3rd row seat folded down, lol.

I hear you on the bladder thing George, hahaha.