Paint Scratched In Transit To Dealer - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017 Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Scratched In Transit To Dealer

Old 06-18-2017, 02:07 PM
New User

Wes Hightower is starting off with a positive reputation.
Paint Scratched In Transit To Dealer

First post here guys. My 2017 F250 KR SRW arrived on the lot from another dealer so I went there today (Sunday) when nobody was around and scoured it over. Everything looks as advertised except for a nice half inch gouge on the front caribou brown bumper paint underside below the tow hook. Not noticeable unless you get on your knees like I did but there none the less.

Question is, when I pick the truck up on Tuesday what's the best course of action IF the dealer doesn't catch this. Obviously it was scratched in shipment and it's unacceptable but stuff happens. I'm hoping the dealership owns up to it and makes it right but you never know. has anyone had a similar problem and how did you handle it?

I have a case like this on my first Harley and the dealership got me a new fender no questions asked.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Elder User

cyncwby has a very good reputation on FTE.cyncwby has a very good reputation on FTE.cyncwby has a very good reputation on FTE.
I know it pisses you off when you see your brand new truck with a small scratch but at that location not a big deal. As you say....stuff happens, a 1/2" scratch is really nothing, they can take a "touch up" paint applicator that you can buy at the parts counter and fix it.

I would definately bring it to their attention but I wouldn't expect them to repaint the entire bumper. Probably wouldn't come out as good as the factory finish anyway........Good luck
Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM
New User

Thanks, yeah, I don't expect a repaint but I'm curious what the reaction will be if they don't catch it. If they balk at it, that will be a clue as to what future warranty repairs might be like. I'll update the site with the results.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Senior User

das_16 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Well when mine arrived I had two blems on the paint one on the fuel tank door another on the bottom rear of the cab on the caribou. Both got repainted at the dealer no issues.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Senior User

Boilermaker374 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a similar issue with a spot center driver door.. That I didn't see at delivery.. raining that day... didn't notice it till detailing a couple days later... Long story short.. Ford denied warranty claim so the dealer stepped up to the plate and fixed it.... If it's something that you can't live with be shure to tell them about it BEFORE YOU DRIVE OFF THE LOT..More than likely just needs a touch up... My dealer had a touch up guy that came around once a week.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:32 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker374 View Post
If it's something that you can't live with be shure to tell them about it BEFORE YOU DRIVE OFF THE LOT..More than likely just needs a touch up... My dealer had a touch up guy that came around once a week.
Being it's really out of sight I can live with it. I won't allow them to blow it off as it's not supposed to be scratched. I'm just curious how they'll handle it. I'm glad I went up there today and spent a good half hour checking it out with nobody around distracting me or maybe I wouldn't have caught it. I know the front end will take a beating over time but I want to be the first one to scratch it not some guy on the train.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Elder User

k7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to beholdk7lvo is a splendid one to behold
Before I ever saw my truck, my sales rep told me that the front bumper had a small dent in it and that a new bumper would be ordered...

The dent is about above and about 6" to the right of the license plate frame.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:16 PM
New User

Now that's a noticeable dent for sure. My gouge is at least out of sight sort of. The guys that work the trains and other handlers probably don't give a damn if you do this all day every day.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Postmaster

UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
Definitely bring it to their attention. Put the ball in their court to make it right. If it's a big deal to you and they won't fix it, accept it or walk away from it.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:56 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA33 View Post
Definitely bring it to their attention. Put the ball in their court to make it right. If it's a big deal to you and they won't fix it, accept it or walk away from it.
I'm not signing a thing until I get the verdict in writing. You just never know about dealerships. Seems trivial a little scrape on a 65K truck but the scrape wasn't on the build sheet so it's not supposed to be there.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant futureraytasch has a brilliant future
Call it to their attention. I would email the sales person now. Tell him of the flaw and that you expect it to be fixed before you pick the truck up on Tue.
Leave him a voice mail as well.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Freshman User

CRSFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most dealers I have dealt with would take care of something like that, no problem. Particularly if you point it out before delivery. They do worry about the survey that Ford sends so I doubt it will be an issue for.

On a side note, I own a '15 Mustang GT too and belong to a Mustang forum. You should see comments from GT350 owners about people not touching their cars before delivery or freaking out because a car has 4 or 5 miles on it when it arrives.....funny stuff.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 PM
New User

Borderstaff is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found a scratch on the tailgate of my new 2017 F350 when I picked it up. In lieu of painting the tailgate I offered a suggestion of the dealer buying me some Weather tech front and rear floor mats. They agreed and had the mats mailed to me within 5 days. I still have the scratch but was able to buff it out somewhat and I can live with it. They also provided a new bottle of correct touch up paint for me to use if I decided to.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 PM
New User

kho6658 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have that and many other small scratches that were found during our pre-inspection. My sales guy took pictures and asked me to schedule a time to bring it back for everything to be taken care of. I took it back and they washed it and found more things that needed to be fixed. Even a rock chip on the top of the hood that needed the truck to go back to paint. Just point out any issues to your dealer and they will take care of it.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSFX4 View Post
Most dealers I have dealt with would take care of something like that, no problem. Particularly if you point it out before delivery. They do worry about the survey that Ford sends so I doubt it will be an issue for.

On a side note, I own a '15 Mustang GT too and belong to a Mustang forum. You should see comments from GT350 owners about people not touching their cars before delivery or freaking out because a car has 4 or 5 miles on it when it arrives.....funny stuff.
My truck had 5 miles on it but it had to be transferred to my dealer. They wanted $400 to transport it 90 miles or no charge if they sent someone to drive it to the dealership. I'd rather have the 5 miles but couldn't justify the money for shipping. The truck has 95 miles on it I just hope the driver didn't red line it on the way there.

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >