Fan blower motor lower than usual flow out of vents - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Fan blower motor lower than usual flow out of vents

Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Senior User

krifenbu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.krifenbu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fan blower motor lower than usual flow out of vents

I am having trouble with my AC in my 2004 Expedition with manual AC controls . To the beginning:

About 3 or 4 years ago I noticed the AC wasn't working as good as it used to, like not blowing cold enough. So I put a can of Freon in it and all seemed better.

Went on a trip to New Orleans last year. Air flow was not blowing out very good. Each setting on the fan speed works, but each seemed to be one speed slower than it should (I don't drive the truck much anymore). Wife said she felt water drip on her feet in the passenger side of truck. Then it seemed like there was almost no air flow from the vents. Turned it on high and had almost no flow and after a few minutes, smelled burning (at this point I thought the blower motor or resistor was bad), so turned it back to low. I could put on defrost or floor and the flow was still low but the air did change to the setting.

Now I figured the evaporator froze up and I had burned up the blower motor. Rear air still flowed nice cool air at normal speeds so we redirected those to the front and survived.

Stopped for fuel and water was dripping from near front tire area so drain shouldn't be plugged.

Later it started blowing good again, but still seems to be one speed slower for each setting. Got the truck home and never messed with it.

This year I was planning on going on a trip, so I looked at it some. I pulled the blower motor and then turned it on. It had lots of air flow and was hard to hold onto at full speed. Each setting made a difference in speed. Put it back in and noticed when turning from cool to warm I seem to lose one speed there. Temps did change correctly though.

Now when you put it on 1 fan speed there is barely any flow from the dash. I always thought on 1 it had a small breeze coming from there.

Searched for a while and thought maybe there was a restriction. Took a picture of evaporator and didn't see too much crud on it.

Gave up and put it all back together. Took a trip this year and same thing. Drips on floor, almost no air flow in the front and after a while, it came back to "normal".

Now wife says no play time with my other trucks until it is fixed, so I am here looking for advice. Blend door problem, evaporator problem, blower problem, restriction after the evaporator? I had read some about some foam keeping a blend door from fully working but I am not sure that is my exact problem. The actuator under the dash on the driver side seems to move the arms for the blend doors with each setting change on the *****. Even if the AC is over charged, the blower problem is still there on vent setting.

I am not excided about ripping the dash out of this thing if it doesn't fix my problem.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin
Old 06-18-2017, 08:10 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Do you have access to a bore scope? I would get a better look
at both sides of the evaporator coil. I'll see about digging up
the 2004 Ex AC pinpoint testing PDFs for you and posting them.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Senior User

krifenbu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.krifenbu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Do you have access to a bore scope? I would get a better look at both sides of the evaporator coil. I'll see about digging up
the 2004 Ex AC pinpoint testing PDFs for you and posting them.
I actually bought one of the cheap harbor freight cameras, but I couldn't get it to work good enough to see up in there.

But have no fear my daughter decided to spend father's day with me and we pulled out the dash.

Green arrow is pointing to the foam that others may have said comes loose. It is supposed to be on the back side of the door it is hung on.

I am still trying to decide if I will try to put the foam back in or leave it out.

This post had a few dozen views without any comments, so I decided to go ahead and pull the dash out. I plan on opening the plenum to make sure there isn't something else inside.

I actually have one of the workshop DVDs. I had forgotten about it but I bought it back in 2006 or 2007. We used it for the step by step teardown. We didn't know what we were doing, so to this point is almost 4 hours.

Thank you for your support Yahiko.

Kevin
Old 06-19-2017, 01:37 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
You might also want to check the other door for the same thing.
You might be able to stick it back on but no telling if it will stay.

Always nice when a girl wants to help turn a wrench.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Since you have it opened this far, you might as well go ahead and open up the covers and inspect/clean the evaporator and the drain.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Posting Guru

Skauber is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, clean the evaporator and the heater core while you're in there. If this one has the plenum which allows for installing that Ford aftermarket cabin filter kit, then perhaps you could look into that as well. It's never gonna be an easier time to install that than it is now when everything is open. If I could install that in my 2005, I would do it instantly to save on later AC cleaning.