1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 1954 F100 Kustom - On the Road Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
My 1954 F100 Kustom - On the Road Again

I've been a member on the site for a few months now, but haven't posted my truck yet. There have only been some sneak peeks here and there. This is my first classic truck and the members have been extremely helpful. I am finishing up some interior projects, but thought I'd make a proper introduction now that it back on the road. (These are just a few cell phone photos but I hope to take some proper photos soon.)

1954 F100 done in a 1960's traditional Kustom style.
I bought the truck in January 2016 as a driver. I have a never-ending mopar project and wanted something fun to drive in the interim. Well, I think it only got driven once last year! Turns out there were a bunch of things wrong and I've been working to get it back on the road. Just some things I've done include engine work, wiring, brakes, side windows conversion, some paint and body work, tonneau cover, new chrome, door handles, lock, steps, custom gas tank sending unit, custom gas fill, cleaned up the suspension, etc. Let's just say there has been a lot of time and parts involved for something purchased with the intent just to get in and go!

Here are just some of body modifications done:
  • The roof has been chopped 5 inches
  • Shaved driprails, emblems and trim
  • Front bumpers are Chrysler Imperial that I had rechromed
  • Grill that I drilled and had chromed
  • Custom front valence
  • Custom bed and hand-built tailgate
  • Custom running boards
  • Jaguar flip top gas cap
  • Hood reverse hinge kit
  • Molded 1955 Thunderbird tail lights that I modified with LED turn signals
  • 1958 Impala backup lights
  • Full LED conversion inside and out
  • Tribar headlights
  • Solid side windows

The paint is a Hot Rod Flatz midnight blue with darker navy blue scallops. Just had some new pinstriping done. The 15 inch steel wheels were blasted and repainted. I found the hubcaps at a swap meet, took them all apart, polished and hand painted the white squares. Tires are new wide white wall radials from Diamond Back Classics to replace the vintage Firestone bias ply white walls. Suspension is DJM Dream Beams dropped front I-beams with disc brakes. The rear is an 8.8" Ford with DJM flip kit and c-notched. Thrush welded exhaust. Fuel injected 244 ford, custom cold air intake, overdrive transmission, PS, PB, and AC. Designed as a driver with a more traditional look.

The interior is customized as well. I'll post pictures and details when that is completed. I still have to make door sills, kick panels and a headliner.

I'm still looking for a suitable rear bumper. (Looking for suggestions!)

Brian
Upstate NY

Old 06-16-2017, 05:32 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Deleted Post.

Last edited by BTclassics; 06-17-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: I figure I'm in the minority on this forum that like custom trucks.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:57 AM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome truck! I love the bed and tail lights.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Thanks Jake!
The tail lights were a project of last resort. Was having some wiring issues so I finally decided on separate turn signal lights. Instead of adding another housing, I looked for a tail light that already had a backup light but I couldn't find anything with the correct size. Ended up modifying the t-bird lens by adding a turn signal with amber LEDs and clear lens.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:19 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They look great, did you fabricate the housings yourself? I want to French my tail lights into my rear renders, I'm just not sure of my fabrication skills with sheet metal.

Also, where did you get that bed? That thing is sweet

Old 06-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool looking truck, love the retro scallops and pinstriping!

Old 06-17-2017, 04:09 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Hey I really like what you've done. Waiting for more pictures..

Old 06-17-2017, 10:10 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Originally Posted by jakevidrine
They look great, did you fabricate the housings yourself? I want to French my tail lights into my rear renders, I'm just not sure of my fabrication skills with sheet metal.

Also, where did you get that bed? That thing is sweet
Unfortunately I can't take credit for any of the body styling. (I don't have experience with body work beyond minor repairs.) The truck was chopped back in the 1960's, but the builder discovered a lot of body filler and re-did the chop in 2013. He was also the one that fabricated the running boards, bed and tailgate. The rear fenders are F100 but this is what the truck looked like at the start:

Originally Posted by 56panelford
Hey I really like what you've done. Waiting for more pictures..
This was today's project - installed a tach. I was bidding on a vintage Moon full sweep tach (different than the common half-sweep) but it went for a bit more than I wanted to spend. Wanted the black dial with white needle/ numbers to match the ones in the custom Pontiac gauge pods (I'll show those later).

Old 06-18-2017, 01:35 AM
Samson 56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool classic custom hot rod styling. Love the bed details, and the wide whites and wheel covers really pull it all together. Nice job!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice! Got a pic of the engine?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
I see the custom touches on the dash too...very cool..

Old 06-18-2017, 11:38 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Glad to see that you are getting the warts smoothed out...nice looking custom!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Thanks everyone!

I can take a picture of the engine soon. Unfortunately it wasn't detailed when it went in. I've been tempted to pull it, but remind myself it is a driver! I'd love to drop a Coyote or Lightning engine in if the budget would ever allow. I've also been contemplating a paxton supercharger but it would involve at least a battery relocation if not more.

Re: Charlie - slowly! Still some things to iron out.

On to the next project - Finishing up the door panels. May add some interior pinstriping but haven't decided on what yet.

I also built some kick panels out of this plastic/ fiberglass wall panel and will cover with carpet.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:37 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Kick Panel Build

This was my first attempt at making some custom kick panels. Kept them simple with matching carpet.

I used some waterproof wall panel from a home improvement store. It is the same material I had leftover from building the carpeted rear wall panel. It is fairly thin and flexible. If I was mounting speakers, I might choose a different type of material or reinforce the mounting area.

I made cardboard templates first before cutting them out.
I used a heat gun to help form the panels and did some test fitting/ trimming.

Used instabind on the visible edge and then used 3M 90 hi-strength adhesive spray to attach the carpet to the kick panel. On the passenger side I also had to install a grommet for some heater/AC wiring that couldn't be relocated. The driver's side was built to clear the emergency brake pedal.

Attached the panel with some high performance velcro (heat and moisture resistant). I may eventually add some kick panel lights. The bottom of the panel and binding will be finished once I make some aluminum door sills.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turned out really nice..Looking good.

Quick Reply: My 1954 F100 Kustom - On the Road Again