Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Traveling from LA to WI to Northern Saskatchewan to Seattle to LA

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Traveling from LA to WI to Northern Saskatchewan to Seattle to LA

I just completed my first leg of the journey with the 6.9 engine, from LA to Wisc. Overall, the tired engine did well at lower elevations and desert temperatures. Never overheated once.

However, above 8000 ft, it started losing power. I could keep it around 50mph up steep grades, but it was pushing the turbo and EGT's. At some points, it would exceed 1000 deg F.

Above 10,500 ft, I could barely keep the vehicle above 30mph. I crept up the summits in CO while the other cars zipped passed. I could have given the engine maybe another 1/4 throttle, but my EGT's were just above 1000 deg F already and I didn't want to cause long term damage.

I'm hesitant to turn down the fuel screw, because my boost is adequate, getting 8-9psi from my hypermax kit. I blow some black smoke before the turbo spools up, but without the hypermax puff limiter, that's pretty much by design.

Also, my headlight switch is still acting up, making night driving a PITA. I know you guys told me to replace the switch socket, and I bought one before I left LA, but never had the time to put it in. Now it's pretty much a "must-do" fix at this point.

Also, really odd, while in downhill bumper-to-bumper traffic on the foothills of Denver, my van just shut off randomly. I was only going about 10-20mph in traffic, then it just died. I hadn't hit the accellerator in miles due to the hills, and i had it in Low 2 to ease braking. I pulled over, started it, and it died right away. I started it again, gave it lots of throttle, revved it for a minute, the remerged into traffic at 10mph and drove the rest of the way to Wisc without any issues. Maybe it was just an air bubble in the fuel line while traveling down those Denver foothills. My tank was 80% full.

Overall, I'm just glad the freaking Oil-in-Coolant nightmare appears to be finally over. It's awesome to open the radiator cap and see only coolant in there after this long drive.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the update. It's crazy how much elevation can affect things.

Keep us posted along the way and drive safe.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:04 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You might want to look into a relay harness for the headlights, along with the switch connector replacement. You could build one, but being on the road you might be just as well off ordering one, if you can establish a place to have it delivered.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
With my 7.3, the elevation affected it, but never as much as this older 6.9 is. I'm just glad it made it all the way up the mtns. The IDI motto is all about not getting you there fast, but it always gets you there.

As for the headlights, some of the IDI gurus already warned me about the switch and relay idea, but I put it off cuz I was wrapping up for the trip. I was hoping to eek out another roadtrip with the touchy headlights. However, this trip, even with a new headlight switch and new footpedal switch, I'm getting lights 50% of the time. Good thing I have monstrous auxiliary lights, so the main headlights don't really matter, but it would be nice to have high beams in the nightime desert and forests.

I'll see if I can't weasel in some time to rig up the new headlight socket (already have it from a previous order), and maybe get to that relay system. I have a few spare relays in my toolbox, but not much time.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you made it in one piece. So there wasn't nearly as much of an issue with altitude in your 7.3?

I wonder if the 6.9 is just really tired. Did you do a compression check on it? I am a little surprised that you had to slow down that much considering you have 4.10's and a turbo. Do you have a lot of weight in the van?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm curious about a fuel filter being possibly plugged. Retarded timing will result in greatly increased EGTs and lowered power, and reduced fuel pressure will end up retarding timing.

It might be worth throwing a gauge on there somewhere, see if you actually have consistant fuel pressure under load.

Also, if it sounds 'quieter' than it used to, you might need more timing advance.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad you made it with no oil cooler problems this year

Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Macrobb
I'm curious about a fuel filter being possibly plugged. Retarded timing will result in greatly increased EGTs and lowered power, and reduced fuel pressure will end up retarding timing.

It might be worth throwing a gauge on there somewhere, see if you actually have consistant fuel pressure under load.

Also, if it sounds 'quieter' than it used to, you might need more timing advance.

My engine does clatter a lot more than when I left LA. Maybe the timing slipped a bit. I should check the timing some time this week. Overall, the engine is very tired. I'm just hoping to get it across Canada and scoop up a new R&D short block in the beginning of August. Then I can put this spare 6.9 in the garage again.

One thing I did notice, the WVO fuel system smokes a lot less than the Stock diesel system. I don't think the fuel filters are clogged, cuz I changed them only a few thousand miles ago. Plus, I'm running the R&D dual filters on the rail, and my e-pumps don't have any gunk in them on the pre-filters. Maybe it would be cool to set up some pressure gauge on my fuel systems, but where I am right now that's gunna be too hard to rig up. I'll just keep rolling.

MPG is still pretty decent. 15mpg cruising at 65mph with AC blasting. even better MPG if I can keep it at 55mph but that'll never happen.

Anyone know any decent strip clubs in Flin Flon? If not, that city's name is a missed opportunity.