Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water Pumps in 2017??

Old 06-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Water Pumps in 2017??

Guess I'm going to have to remove my water pump, which there is no problem with one more time so I can address the leak at the top where the pump goes aganst the front cover.......I did this about 5 years ago for the same reason and installed an AIRTEX pump which everyone said who supplied the pumps to Ford originally.....

I have replaced my pump twice since the original, same problems with both.....

I have never used any sealer, silicone, permatex ANYTHING......

May be thats my problem......this time I'm going to unless you guys say no....

I've lived with this stupid leak for 5 years now and just tired of it.....

So, where do I get my LAST pump-by LAST I mean one that will last me for a couple hundred thousand miles???

The last Airtex that I installed I got a seal right from International for it and used that.......

I dunno.....Thanks for any & all suggestions guys!!

Old 06-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
I had the same problem. Finally went with a super thin line of black like what I use on the thermostat. Worked great!

Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never used any sealant, and I have an Airtex on my own truck and several others. I do use a torque wrench to install the pump bolts. I seem to remember the spec being 18 ft./lbs. Never had one leak at the front cover mating surface.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Thanks guys. I figure if I'm going to remove the pump I might as well replace it with another new one.....

Folks are saying that RiffRaff is the best bet for an OEM unit, though they say they don't have any Ford part numbers or logo on them.....

So, What do I do for a pump? Airtex again?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

I ran through two Airtex pumps. My OEM lasted 180,000 with gold coolant and all the casting sand before my first complete flush. The best I get out of the Airtex is maybe 75,000 running ELC with complete flushes. I went with NAPA this time. Time will tell how it compares. Side by side and weight, they are identical.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the one from riffraff an international pump. I replaced mine last year and I can't remember. I also torqued mine with no sealant and have had no issues.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can say i will never buy off brand water pumps any more. I have a thread which id have to dig for explaining my issues. Nedless to say i was getting mine from napa, car quest, and advance. I was getting 15k to 50k out of them. One lasted 10k. I have flushed the system 2x during replacements, replaced fan fan clutch pulley and t-stat. Im also running a coolant filter which gets changed every 20k once a year.
Finally went with a OEM pump and got about 85k on it so far. I compared the oem with several pumps i went with via photos and weight. Major difference in weight and castings.
I learned my lesson with that alone with power steering pumps and other things. Nedless to say I'm an oem guy. The little extra in price is well worth the headaches of tearing something back apart, returning it and re installing something again only to repeat that process over again.

OEM ALL THE WAY !!!!!

Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm running a GMB unit on mine (also what the previous owner installed on it back in 06) and so far have had good luck with it. Lifetime warranty so worst case it gets replaced for free.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 268Fords
Isn't the one from riffraff an international pump. I replaced mine last year and I can't remember. I also torqued mine with no sealant and have had no issues.
I don't think so, ot is being said that they are made in China and have no part numbers or Ford logo on them....

May be RiffRaff is having them made.....

Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just checked Clay's site, states OEM new. Not rebuilt or re-manufactured.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:44 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
My guess is Riffraff has found work around for the OEM pump. I know they have gone direct to the manufacturer on other items so I would guess that is what they are doing on this one. I have one on my Excursion for about the last 5 or 6 years and haven't had an issue.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Just checked Clay's site, states OEM new. Not rebuilt or re-manufactured.
I've seen this too.but also have read that they have no Ford logo or part numbers on them like the originals did......

Certainly no offense to Clay, but this is the last pump that I personally going to replace on mine and I expect it to last over 200k miles.....

Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
I had the same problem. Finally went with a super thin line of black like what I use on the thermostat. Worked great!
Where did you put the black? and by that where on the contact points of the pump? and what "black" did you use? Thanks!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:31 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

As late as 2012 folks are saying that Airtex was the original manufacturer to Ford at least for the pumps, thats what 99% of everyone here at the FTE was saying 10 years ago as well.

Which water pump? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Old 06-17-2017, 08:19 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by Supercab
Where did you put the black? and by that where on the contact points of the pump? and what "black" did you use? Thanks!
Around the edge of the entire oring. It appeared the groove the oring fits in was not accurately cut, so the oring was sitting a little deeper in areas. We used black high temp rtv.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Pumps in 2017??