2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

My review of the BAKflip CS-F1 Tonneau Cover With Integrated Rack.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 AM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My review of the BAKflip CS-F1 Tonneau Cover With Integrated Rack.

As copied from my Amazon review........
Pros
1. Allows you to remove the uprights and racks in less than 3 minutes using one provided tool. (If you do not use the recommended stabilizer kit)
2. Once the uprights (rack system) are removed, what remains looks very much like a normal tonneau cover.
3. The tonneau itself is a MX4 with different rails which means commonality with engineered systems and parts.
4. The tailgate can be opened and closed regardless of cover position.
Cons
1. The tonneau is manufactured by BAK Industries. The rack is manufactured by Prorack.
2. The installation video on their site, does not reflect an addendum (stabilizer kit) that Prorack maintains is essential to use the system.
3. The uprights are steel. The rest of the system save the angled ties are aluminum.
4. When calling for support, the system seemed to me to be the black sheep of the company.

So far, after two camping trips, the system is still working for me. By biggest hang up is its lack of stability when hauling my kayaks. The three boats I had on my two trips weighed roughly 160 lbs. One would assume that the system would make short work of that relatively light weight when compared to capacity. One would be wrong. I spent more time monitoring the excessive lateral movement in fear of a catastrophic failure than I did watching the road. I guess the folks @ Prorack/Bakflip did not take into account the wind loading and side to side movement at highway speeds that this thing is subjected to. I swear this system looks as though it is going to tear itself apart as much as those uprights move back and forth. It is most unnerving.

As this system allowed me to fully utilize my truck bed while in motion, both trips were with the tonneau folded against the rear window of my cab. The adjustable slide lock system used to keep the tonneau firmly wedged against the cab worked well. The actuation of the latches that allow the tonneau to be folded from either side of the truck, are well thought out and well executed. Unfolding the cover is met with a satisfying click each time a section engages with the side rails. My good friend has a Lund tonneau cover that looks much the same. In just about every aspect, the Bakflip is better quality and easier to use.

My favorite trait about the cover is its ability to be stealthy when folded flat. As all of the release handles are on the bottom side of the cover, and most importantly out of most of the elements, the locking tailgate is all that is needed to reasonably secure the contents of the truck bed. There are no cheap locks to corrode on the cover. It is simply well thought out.

Everything was well packaged. They seemed to spend a good amount of time ensuring that no components were damaged as a result of all but the heaviest of shipping abuse. One of the first things I noticed while laying everything out, is that the folks at Bakflip did not do a good job of deburring or removing shavings before they sent the rails to paint. As a result, several prominent areas of the rails had painted on shavings that fell off almost immediately when confronted with a touch. To the casual eye, it is not noticeable. To the automotive enthusiast with a discerning eye, it is borderline embarrassing for such a pricey system.

The most annoying thing to me about the system is the obviously after the fact inclusion of the aforementioned stabilizer kit (if you look at Pro Rac's literature the initial document is dated 6-17-13 the stabilizer kit's revision is dated 7-1-15) . Everything about it reeks "trying to patch a major design flaw". If you ask me, Bakflip is downright misleading as none of the images of the installed product or installation videos reflect this "kit". I doubt the folks at Bakflip are in a hurry to accurately reflect it either. It clearly negates the aesthetics that come with an otherwise clean looking install. Moreover, for most if not all applications, you have to either remove the stake pocket cover (which seriously compromises the water intrusion properties) or drill a hole in the pocket cover.

If you read the Pro Rac guidelines provided on the Bakflip website they call for removing the system when not in use. The inclusion of this stabilizer kit about triples the process. Not only that, the kit which uses a steel strap (stake pocket plates) to tie the kit to the bed will likely gnaw away at the paint. As my bed is aluminum, this further complicates the concern of dissimilar metals in direct contact with each other. This is also the reason I think the guidelines call for the removal when not in use. The uprights are steel while everything else is aluminum. For the person who wants to "set it and forget it", they will likely be dealing with electrolysis in a very short time frame. It is also what I like to call a hardware booger as nothing about the added hardware is aesthetically pleasing to the over all install. Quite frankly, if I would have known about these glaring issues before hand, I most likely would have not ordered this system.

All in all, I am going to keep it as I don't want to deal with the headache of trying to send it back. I would recommend finding a local dealer as there seems to be no price break by ordering from Amazon. To be sure, if I had ordered this system from a local dealer, I'd be getting my 1600 bucks back.

P.S.
To the folks in Backflip's marketing and/or pricing department, you should be ashamed of yourselves. The CS rack "upgrades" prices reflect a "because we can attitude" Your kayak kit is literally less than $50.00 worth of parts retail. What makes you think that it is appropriate to charge 239.00 for the capacity of ONE kayak is beyond me. This represents pure greed in my mind. Your CS load stops are even worse. Four pieces of aluminum angle with 3 holes drilled and a few off the shelf pieces of hardware for $139.98? Just greed, just greed.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:03 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
BakFlip customer service is basically non-existent with any product they sell. They make a nice product so the customers keep coming. They are in a good situation since they hold a couple patents that stop others from competing. Some of the other hard folding cover companies have to pay BakFlip royalties so they are at a disadvantage for now. I guess until the patents expire or someone comes up with a better way, BakFlip can do whatever they want. BakFlip customer service reminds me of this skit,

Old 06-14-2017, 03:40 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
As far as electrolysis due to dissimilar metals what do you think the bed is bolted to the frame with? It has STEEL bolts! Your aluminium hood and doors are bolted on with, you guessed it STEEL fasteners. So I guess in a few years all these parts will be falling off.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:47 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Steel, or stainless steel? Test with a magnet.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the review!

I can't speak for the bed, but Ford has been using aluminum hoods on the F150 for 20 years now. Of all the rusted-out 10th gen F150s we have seen, have you heard anything about hood mounts failing or hoods falling off their respective trucks? I sure haven't.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TJReams
As far as electrolysis due to dissimilar metals what do you think the bed is bolted to the frame with? It has STEEL bolts! Your aluminium hood and doors are bolted on with, you guessed it STEEL fasteners. So I guess in a few years all these parts will be falling off.
Well sir, engineered fasteners with electrolysis taken into account aren't exactly the same thing as a piece of raw metal with a hole in it bridging a flange with absolutely no torque specs given.