SWEET 88 ECONOLINE - COUPLE QUESTIONS - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

SWEET 88 ECONOLINE - COUPLE QUESTIONS

Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
VanGuySteve is starting off with a positive reputation.
SWEET 88 ECONOLINE - COUPLE QUESTIONS

After 5 years or so searching off and on we finally purchased a van. 1988 Econoline 150. She is pretty sweet. Drove her over 200 miles home over some of the baddest mountains on the east coast. No issues at all like riding a new one.

I am looking for replacement lights. The vertical one between the two big side windows. Anyone know what these are called or where I can find them? Also am looking for a repair manual on this. Thx .

Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 PM
vacuumbed
Senior User
vacuumbed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great find, beautiful van! They don't make them like they used to.

Those are called opera lights. Search for them on eBay, you can get them in LEDs now. For a repair manual, search for Chiltons

Old 06-13-2017, 12:04 AM
annaleigh
Posting Guru
annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.
Great looking van! What company did the conversion?
I want to get mine as shiny as yours!!

They are called Opera lights
https://www.google.com/search?q=van+...w=1152&bih=611

Here is an electrical-vacuum trouble shooting manual you will find very useful $1 more then the cheapest one listed but looks much better.
Original 1988 Ford Econoline Wiring Diagram EVTM Manual 88 | eBay

FORD 1988 Bronco, Econoline, F150-F350 & Super Duty Pick Up Truck Shop Manual CD
FORD 1988 Bronco, Econoline, F150-F350 & Super Duty Pick Up Truck Shop Manual CD

I also have one of these
1988 Ford Econoline Van Wiring Diagram E150 E250 E350 Club Wagon Electrical OEM
1988 Ford Econoline Van Wiring Diagram E150 E250 E350 Club Wagon Electrical OEM | eBay

The only thing you wont have is the layout book from the conversion company but most of the 88 Ford conversion vans I have seen have fairly simple wiring for the interior.

I just saw Vacuumbed's post. He mentioned LEDs,, I am going to change all of my interior lights to leds and add a second battery in the future. I think room can be made on the left fender well.. My 85 had a second battery there...

Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
WoW thx. I also plan to go all LED's . Will be removing the rear captain's chairs too. and the bed and doing a bigger bed and cabinets I think. The Conversion on this one was done by Matco Tools. That's what the dash plaque says anyways.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 PM
annaleigh
Posting Guru
annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.
Matco Tools would be a tool company.. The raised roof looks like mine and it is a Marklll conversion which is out of business now.
Some things you need to look at close is any signs of rust or the beginnings of rust at the trim and rain gutter around the raised roof.. Also i found a small place under the door seal on the passenger side which I am fixing now. Those little places left alone will become big problems later...
I was checking out the door seals and found a small spot under the seal. There was a calking used on the metal seams and then painted over. I chiped back the calk to revile this..
Name:  WP_20170611_003.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  335.0 KB

When i cleaned it all up it didn't look so bad but in a couple of years it would have been

So if you are going to keep it long term, and it sounds like you are... check those little things out...

are you going to convert it to a camper? That is what I want to do with mine..

Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
Yeah I'm planning on converting it for sure.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User

This is the door that's the worst shape. Not too bad really.
The rest look about the same as this one here .

Old 06-13-2017, 05:49 PM
annaleigh
Posting Guru
they dont look too bad at all. i just learned something today while i was looking my doors over.. While I wish my side and rear doors had pop out windows, they are fixed windows. I noticed the fixed window doors looked great on the bottom. The roll down windows are designed so that water that enters the inside of the door around the window seals, will drain out the bottom through the drain holes. The bottom of the doors have a seam sealer or bondo around that lower seam and then is painted over from the factory. As the bondo/sealer gets old it cracks, the water that runs out the drian holes gets into the crack and down into the seam.. Over time it rusts like we have and even worse if left alone..

this is my temporary repair. When i replace the door gaskets I will probably remove all the bondo/sealer and re do it... i made a mistake and used Rustoleum primer which I later learned is often not compatable with the auto body paint even though it says Automotive primer... I was told it will work for now but if the van is ever repainted that I would have to remove the Rustoleum primer to be on the safe side.. IF I had to do it over again I would have consulted the local paint and body supply store..
Name:  WP_20170613_004.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  270.2 KB

Here is an example of how the bondo/sealer cracks.
Name:  WP_20170613_005.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  253.8 KB

Show us some pics of the inside too! and be sure and post pics as you go along with your conversion..
Are you going to strip out all the interior or try to use what you have? I removed one of my interior window trims to look for a leak and learned mine does have house type insulation in the walls so i may leave mine...

Old 06-14-2017, 12:51 AM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
Planning to go with what I have to start with. Doesn't seem to let much heat in.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 AM
wiskeyVI
Senior User
wiskeyVI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great looking rig! That body style is my favorite.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:04 AM
annaleigh
Posting Guru
I want to leave my walls alone too so here is some info that hopefully will help you out for mounting to the wall.
This is the framing measurements for a 1988 138 wheel base. My van has the narrow windows between the framing. Your windows are wider then mine so I don't know if they cut the framing or not but you can measure and see..

Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 AM
wiskeyVI
Senior User
wiskeyVI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very nice!

Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Annaleigh how the heck do you find this stuff??
impressed.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:17 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
Annaleigh how the heck do you find this stuff??
impressed.
Seriously.....

Old 06-15-2017, 07:35 AM
annaleigh
Posting Guru
I couldn't find it. So with the help of VnnerDude who gave me the measurements from his 89 van and along with some very modified pics from a manual , I made them...
I returned the favor and give him the location of the ECM!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...asurement.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SWEET 88 ECONOLINE - COUPLE QUESTIONS

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.