Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My fire extinguisher saved my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
I think fire extinguishers should be mandatory in vehicles, like they are in boats. Your very smart to always carry one.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Well this is a timely post. Jason really glad it went as good as it did for you and thanks as always for sharing. My neighbor works for a commercial sprinkler fire system company and he just gave me a couple of extinguishers a few weeks ago. As usual I've procrastinated in putting one of them in the truck, the other is for the shop. I think tomorrow I will work on getting it mounted.
I've been carrying one of those little 2 lb bottles around in the back of the truck for a while but to be honest I don't know if it's even any good doesn't even have a gauge on it. I think these will work much better.

Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2017, 12:35 AM
jackstraw
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for typing it out for us.

Time to replace my never used Extinguisher I am sure.

And (((cold beer)))

Old 06-14-2017, 06:23 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Well this is a timely post. Jason really glad it went as good as it did for you and thanks as always for sharing. My neighbor works for a commercial sprinkler fire system company and he just gave me a couple of extinguishers a few weeks ago. As usual I've procrastinated in putting one of them in the truck, the other is for the shop. I think tomorrow I will work on getting it mounted.
I've been carrying one of those little 2 lb bottles around in the back of the truck for a while but to be honest I don't know if it's even any good doesn't even have a gauge on it. I think these will work much better.
Paul,

If you don't already know, that Halon extinguisher is dangerous. It removes the oxygen in the air in order to extinguish the fire. We have them for the data floor at work. You can become asphyxiated in a room if you don't get out in time. I think an ABC extinguisher would be the one I choose (I do get the free thing though).

Good luck!
Bill

Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
The little disposable extinguishers sometimes have a 'button' on them someplace for testing pressure. You push it in, and if it pops back out - it's still 'good'. This doesn't help the caked powder problem, but you can dispose of any that don't pop back out!!

This is what was in my truck. It's a BC type (with gauge). There are a few of these scattered around our house as well.

A few years ago, I took a couple of 'aged' cheapo extinguishers and did some practice/training with my boys. We lit a bucket of diesel on fire and let boys take turns putting it out. (P.A.S.S. method). We also talked about what level of fire they would even attempt to put out with this type of extinguisher.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kay
Paul, If you don't already know, that Halon extinguisher is dangerous. It removes the oxygen in the air in order to extinguish the fire. We have them for the data floor at work. You can become asphyxiated in a room if you don't get out in time.
For God's sake, Halon has been banned ostensibly because of Ozone depletion. It is probably the best fire extinguishing "stuff" around. Sad. It might be "dangerous" but then, so is FIRE. Try to keep some perspective.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 279 Posts
If you don't already know, that Halon extinguisher is dangerous.

Very true. As a veteran I found that the U.S. Army is replacing their Halon systems. Also, the U.S. Navy would have oxygen canisters and masks in compartments protected by Halon.

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
A few years ago, I took a couple of 'aged' cheapo extinguishers and did some practice/training with my boys.

Good idea. I have a cheapo fire extinguisher that should be replaced. I should teach my daughter how to use it the next time I burn brush on my property.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Paul,

If you don't already know, that Halon extinguisher is dangerous. It removes the oxygen in the air in order to extinguish the fire. We have them for the data floor at work. You can become asphyxiated in a room if you don't get out in time. I think an ABC extinguisher would be the one I choose (I do get the free thing though).

Good luck!
Bill
Bill, Thanks for the warning. Working in aviation I'm familiar with different extinguishing agents and their limitations.

Halon bottles will be in the truck and garage(outside use). The little ABC bottles like Jason's picture in the boat(small enough to store) and kitchen.

I like Jason's idea of a training session with an old bottle. May try it with the little one.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds64
Very true. As a veteran I found that the U.S. Army is replacing their Halon systems.
Not because they want to, but because it's been banned. The Ozone, don'tcha know. But, there is nothing currently available that comes even close to its effectiveness. Aviation is exempt from the ban.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:48 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Help out the inexperienced please. What type and size should I have in my truck? I had something mounted and the bracket broke, stuck it under the seat and my dad accidentally set it off under the seat. That sucked... need something new

Old 06-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Brandon, you want an A,B,C fire extinguisher. That means it's good for all types of combustibles (except metal). I think I am going to order a 5lb for my classic Oldsmobile and whatever truck I buy. Here are some options:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...2%2B4294843673

Last edited by Olds64; 06-15-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Oops...
Old 06-14-2017, 03:56 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Classifications
(A) ordinary combustibles
(B) flammable liquids
(C) electrical equipment
(D) metals

Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Classifications
(A) ordinary combustibles
(B) flammable liquids
(C) electrical equipment
(D) metals

Right you are. I must have fat fingered, or else my mind was shut off.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I just made the move up to ND and had an out of date but still charged 5lb extinguisher my old job gave me when they upgraded. It was in the cab but not SUPER accessible. I need to figure out some way to have it accessible but out of the way in case of something like this. I have seen the trucks in the oil field that have them mounted on the headache racks, but I have neither the desire to have mine exposed to the elements nor a headache rack to mount it on so that is out. Maybe when I get around to making my high lifter jack rack in the bed, I can incorporate a couple quick release mounts for an extinguisher.

Thanks for sharing your story! Hopefully it will save someone else's truck by spreading the word to carry extinguishers in every vehicle.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I had a small extinguisher in my truck whose 'charge' needle had just descended into the 'red zone'. I emptied the extinguisher outdoors, and found that probably 1/3 of the powder was still inside. Not enough gas to expel the powder.

The takeaway is this: if the needle isn't in the green zone, replace it!

Quick Reply: My fire extinguisher saved my truck