Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil pan drain plug leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 11:14 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Oil pan drain plug leak?

I tried a steel with rubber insert washer, but it still leaks. I might have overtightened or something. It seemed good for a while.

Who has a solution for this leak?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2017, 11:23 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
I tried a nylon seal last oil change. still have slight seep. Have a new M14 copper sitting on tool box waiting for next oil change.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I think it works its way down the threads.

I tried a new copper washer, but down the threads, which is why I tried the one with the rubber in the middle.

I didn't really want anything hanging down, else I'd go with one of the Futomo (?) drain valves.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
I had a slow leak on my drain plug for the oil pan when I bought the truck. I thought that was a good time to find out my real world opinion on the Fumoto oil pan valve.

The Fumoto is overpriced and there are other options, but I received it as a gift and it has been great. No leaks, projected flow of oil when draining and can shut off flow and swap out containers easily.

It does dramatically slow down the time it takes to drain the oil, but I am normally not in a hurry those days anyway. A cold beer and I spend some quality time together with a bit of Waylon Jennings playing the background while waiting for the oil to drain.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I change the copper washer every three or four changes but i put some black sealant like for old valve covers, around the inside of the washer at the threads and it seems to work. Don't take much. Put oil and filter in and you done.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Buy a new bolt and copper washer the bolt head does warp believe it or not.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:45 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I had a slow leak on my drain plug for the oil pan when I bought the truck. I thought that was a good time to find out my real world opinion on the Fumoto oil pan valve.

The Fumoto is overpriced and there are other options, but I received it as a gift and it has been great. No leaks, projected flow of oil when draining and can shut off flow and swap out containers easily.

It does dramatically slow down the time it takes to drain the oil, but I am normally not in a hurry those days anyway. A cold beer and I spend some quality time together with a bit of Waylon Jennings playing the background while waiting for the oil to drain.
I think you and I would be great friends. Beer, Waylon, and Fords? The makings of a great friendship.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I think you and I would be great friends. Beer, Waylon, and Fords? The makings of a great friendship.
I agree sir, hopefully our paths will cross one day and the path can pause for a moment for a bit of reflecting.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I think it works its way down the threads.

I tried a new copper washer, but down the threads, which is why I tried the one with the rubber in the middle.

I didn't really want anything hanging down, else I'd go with one of the Futomo (?) drain valves.
Even if it worked its way down the threads a good gasket on the bolt, whether it be copper, nylon, etc. would hold it there.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I installed a blue colored composition type washer on my original drain plug at my last oil change about a month ago-its dry as a bone now & I've got 2 more in the package!!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:06 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I did pick up a variety pack of fiber washers and such. I thought if I could find one that would be tight on the threads, I could use a copper gasket to squash and hold it fast...maybe

I didn't consider a damaged bolt as a possibility.

Sous- do you have the Fumoto 90 deg or straight down, or no nozzle?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I have the straight down port with no nozzle because like you I didn't want anything to have the potential to get caught. The valve sits really quite high and I don't see it ever getting caught on something. I like the valve to be honest.

This is the one I have.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:43 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
I got the Fumoto with the nozzle thinking I'd hook tubing to it then into a container when oil change comes around. Turns out I can just set the gallon oil jug under it with about an inch of clearance. Turn it open, fill jug, rinse and repeat. Makes draining the oil super easy, but like Sous said, slow. Stock 4X4 and tires on mine tho, so if you're lifted or have 37s ymmv. Grab a jug and see where yours sits. As you know stripping that hole out can be very bad, so a Fumoto is a no-brainer to me.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:16 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I agree sir, hopefully our paths will cross one day and the path can pause for a moment for a bit of reflecting.
Agreed...

Originally Posted by Supercab
I installed a blue colored composition type washer on my original drain plug at my last oil change about a month ago-its dry as a bone now & I've got 2 more in the package!!
Where did you find this washer?

Old 06-11-2017, 05:06 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
I have used the same blue colored washer for 15 years. I may replace it at 20 years. Had problems with the copper crush washers at my first oil change, and went with the blue after that without any incidents.

Quick Reply: Oil pan drain plug leak?