Oil pan drain plug leak? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan drain plug leak?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Senior User

johnsps250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This one looks like it will work, always had good luck with stuff from McMaster Carr.

I've always had to replace the copper washer after a couple changes or it would drip. Next time I change the oil I plan to give this a try.

Link
Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know how much actually weeps out when I drive but there's always one drop clinging onto my drain bolt whenever I look under there.

This is timely since I am replacing injectors so I just ordered some (you have to order a minimum of 5). I didn't like the fact that you can't estimate shipping so see if it's going to be cost effective (you can call their customer service line though).

I like the Fumoto but I would always be worried of catching it on something and ripping it out (especially off-roading). Whether true or not I would always have that concern. So to get 5 of them for 1/2 the price of the Fumoto it's worth a shot.

Hopefully this is the solution to my issue. Thanks for the recommendation johnsps250. Reps sent!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Post Fiend

Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
Kind of odd that nearly every other fluid fitting on the engine has an o-ring seal, but not the drain plug . . .
Old 06-14-2017, 10:07 PM
Posting Guru

countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Oh well, if it comes with a washer and everything... LOL

I could also just weld that hole shut and poke a screwdriver through the pan when it's time to change oil. I could probably get about 12-15 changes out of a pan.

That's 3-4 changes a year, so about 5 years before replacing the pan. Hmmm...they're so "close"
LOL.....
I should look closer, mine is leaking but I thought that it was coming from my rear main seal. I changed the washer on the drain plug, but when the leak continued I assumed it was my rear main seal and not the plug. After reading this thread I need to take a closer look.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Post Fiend

BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
Kind of odd that nearly every other fluid fitting on the engine has an o-ring seal, but not the drain plug . . .
I have thought the same, but wonder if it is because it is taken in and out so often? I know o-rings don't typically do well being removed multiple times.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Posting Guru

crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.
I got tired of the Ford washer & put the GM 6.2/6.5 Diesel aluminum washer with, looks like high heat silicone bonded in center,I had a handful left from My GM diesel days,been using them for years on several applications,never had one leak even when reused several times.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by crop harvester View Post
I got tired of the Ford washer & put the GM 6.2/6.5 Diesel aluminum washer with, looks like high heat silicone bonded in center,I had a handful left from My GM diesel days,been using them for years on several applications,never had one leak even when reused several times.
Got a part number, pic?

After all the time and money I put into the top end to stop leaks, it's crazy to see oil spots on the ground

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycar View Post
LOL.....
I should look closer, mine is leaking but I thought that it was coming from my rear main seal. I changed the washer on the drain plug, but when the leak continued I assumed it was my rear main seal and not the plug. After reading this thread I need to take a closer look.
I sprayed and wiped the sides of the pan with brake cleaner, including the bottom down and around the plug.

When the plug was wet, but I could go all the way around the pan and feel dry, I put the gold star on the plug

There is one bolt in the pan that leaks a bit, too. I plan to pull it out, squeeze a little Permatex ultra-black into the hole (maybe into the surrounding gasket surface 1/8" or so around the hole), coat the bolt with the same, and reinstall and give it time to sit and cure before driving.

Might not get it all, but should really slow it down. As I mentioned above, I can still get a dry pan after sitting a while, but after driving and such for a bit, it's wet there.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Post Fiend

Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I have thought the same, but wonder if it is because it is taken in and out so often? I know o-rings don't typically do well being removed multiple times.
True, but at least they're cheap
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Posting Guru

crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Got a part number, pic?

After all the time and money I put into the top end to stop leaks, it's crazy to see oil spots on the ground

Thanks!
Sorry,I don't get on here as often during Harvest hours,GM p/n 14090908 it was used on 6.2 & 6.5 GM diesels I had both at one time,used these washers on several Ford & GM applications.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:58 PM
It's a Van Gogh

aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Quote:
There is one bolt in the pan that leaks a bit, too. I plan to pull it out, squeeze a little Permatex ultra-black into the hole (maybe into the surrounding gasket surface 1/8" or so around the hole), coat the bolt with the same, and reinstall and give it time to sit and cure before driving.
I tried that once on another vehicle and ended up with a stuck bolt. It sheared off next time I was in there. I'd recommend some RTV around the head of the bolt, but not on the threads, and not in the hole.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Polkamatic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
I tried that once on another vehicle and ended up with a stuck bolt. It sheared off next time I was in there. I'd recommend some RTV around the head of the bolt, but not on the threads, and not in the hole.
Noted. Thanks for the warning
Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Polkamatic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crop harvester View Post
Sorry,I don't get on here as often during Harvest hours,GM p/n 14090908 it was used on 6.2 & 6.5 GM diesels I had both at one time,used these washers on several Ford & GM applications.
Thanks! I now have 3 in my console
Old 07-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Polkamatic Poster

Success!

Looks like the new gasket/seal did the trick

It was much tighter and I had to push and thread it on the bolt all the way before reinstalling the drain plug.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Postmaster

Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Agreed...

Where did you find this washer?
Bennett Auto Supply......I wish I still had the package with the part number for you.....