Oil pan drain plug leak? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan drain plug leak?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Post Fiend

BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
I am guessing Fastenal has them...or Grainger. I'll have to search around.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Elder User

carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.
I also had a constant seepage from my drain plug, despite trying a couple of different washers. Last oil change, I put a TINY little bit of grey International RTV on the flange of the bolt and maybe the first 2 threads. No leaks. Its such a tiny amount that I don't forsee any issue with a ratchet just ripping it off when I need to remove again.

On that note, I see someone posted previously that they put a bit of BLUE RTV. Don't do that. Although a tiny amount, it could possibly contaminate your oil and cause foaming. Nothing but the special Intrnl/Motorcraft GREY sealnt should touch anything oil related.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:25 PM
It's a Van Gogh

aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I am guessing Fastenal has them...or Grainger. I'll have to search around.
Fumoto comes with a composite washer.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Fumoto comes with a composite washer.
Oh well, if it comes with a washer and everything... LOL

I could also just weld that hole shut and poke a screwdriver through the pan when it's time to change oil. I could probably get about 12-15 changes out of a pan.

That's 3-4 changes a year, so about 5 years before replacing the pan. Hmmm...they're so "close"
Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 AM
Elder User

GEugeneS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercab View Post
I installed a blue colored composition type washer on my original drain plug at my last oil change about a month ago-its dry as a bone now & I've got 2 more in the package!!
I too had a horrible time with the copper washers. And I too got a 3-pak of blue colored soft washers from I can't remember where but probably the local auto parts store, and I haven't had an issue since (about 10 years). I also got a tip on this forum about how to change the washer without losing your new oil. Take a shop-vac and put the hose over the oil-fill pipe. When the vac is on, it will hold the oil from coming out the drain hole while you change or experiment with washers.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEugeneS View Post
I too had a horrible time with the copper washers. And I too got a 3-pak of blue colored soft washers from I can't remember where but probably the local auto parts store, and I haven't had an issue since (about 10 years). I also got a tip on this forum about how to change the washer without losing your new oil. Take a shop-vac and put the hose over the oil-fill pipe. When the vac is on, it will hold the oil from coming out the drain hole while you change or experiment with washers.
That's an interesting and innovative tip, and you didn't fill your shop vac with oil?
Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
That's an interesting and innovative tip, and you didn't fill your shop vac with oil?
Well, I did think about it a little, but it worked fine, and not a drop of oil in the shop vac. All it does is pull just a little vacuum on the oil, enough so bubbles of air are coming into the pan through the drain plug hole rather than the oil coming out. The "seal" between the vac hose and the filler pipe also leaks a lot more air, so it would really be hard to pull oil all the way up from the pan, through the valve cover and into the vac.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Elder User

BTW, I was investigating Fumoto and other things as well, but the shop-vac thing was so easy and simple I was able to try several copper washers at different torques all to no avail, and then went down and got the blue rubber ones.

I got to thinking more about the oil in the pan being pulled up and out the filler tube and it seems it would have to be replaced by something to rise up like that. And since the only thing being "pulled" in is air, it would probably be impossible to pull the oil into the vac that way. Anyway, I got the tip from a fellow user on this forum so at least 2 of us have used it without problems. That original post would be some 10 years old now.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Post Fiend

Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEugeneS View Post
That's exactly how a valve on a heating oil tank gets changed if it goes bad.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Freshman User

donnybrasco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any chance someone would have ordering information on this blue washer for the engine oil drain bolt?

My search keywords must not be right.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnybrasco View Post
Any chance someone would have ordering information on this blue washer for the engine oil drain bolt?

I'd try my local auto parts store, Napa, O'Reilly, AutoZone or whatever.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
That's exactly how a valve on a heating oil tank gets changed if it goes bad.
There you go: an unsolicited testimonial for the shop vac thing.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:53 PM
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnybrasco View Post

Mine looks like this. Make sure to get the right size.

Dorman HELP! 69013 - Drain Plug | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Posting Guru

AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford View Post
Mine looks like this. Make sure to get the right size.

Dorman HELP! 69013 - Drain Plug | O'Reilly Auto Parts
That is a 12mm. Pretty sure ours uses a 14mm but not postive about thread pitch

Dorman HELP! Online - 69016
Old 06-12-2017, 04:35 PM
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
I am referring to the blue washer NOT drain plug. I took my drain plug to parts store to make sure I got correct sized washer for plug. They had several. It was Discount Auto then, now it is Advanced Auto.