Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Sync 3 2.2 Update killed my APIM

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:31 PM
kylenov
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping someone could help me. My gf's 2016 Escape's Sync 3 has been acting up and real laggy lately. Pretty much unusable for Bluetooth and Navigation. I have a couple questions:
- The Escape is out of warranty. Will they still replace and cover the costs of the APIM if that is the problem since it was obviously Ford's fault Sync is screwed up? Maybe that's a stupid question and they won't, but I'm still holding out hope.
- If not, did v2.2 fry the APIM and going back to v1.1 won't do any good? Or can I go back to v1.1 and that will fix it? Since we've had issues, I've master reset the system several times and updated to v3.0, so that's where it's at currently.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by kylenov
I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping someone could help me. My gf's 2016 Escape's Sync 3 has been acting up and real laggy lately. Pretty much unusable for Bluetooth and Navigation. I have a couple questions:
- The Escape is out of warranty. Will they still replace and cover the costs of the APIM if that is the problem since it was obviously Ford's fault Sync is screwed up? Maybe that's a stupid question and they won't, but I'm still holding out hope.
- If not, did v2.2 fry the APIM and going back to v1.1 won't do any good? Or can I go back to v1.1 and that will fix it? Since we've had issues, I've master reset the system several times and updated to v3.0, so that's where it's at currently.

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about the problems you`re having but in order to get this fixed, you`re going to have to come out of pocket for a new APIM and the other cost that`s related to installing and programming it and these can only be programmed by a Ford dealer because each APIM is tied to the VIN#.

I take it she has more than 36K on her Escape or it was purchased sometime between January 1st and the 19th of 2016 and she didn`t purchase a Ford ESP.

The 2.2 update or any update to the SYNC 3 system did "NOT" fry your APIM and going back to an older version will not solve the issues you`re having with the APIM.

My 2016 F150 is doing the same thing and my new APIM has been on order since October of 2018 but i`m still under the Factory warranty.

I`m not sure if your girlfriend wants to go this route but to get around dealing with the SYNC 3 issues, I use Apple CarPlay with my iPhone and the system works flawlessly in my vehicle and I don`t have to deal with constant rebooting or Master Resetting of the SYNC 3 system. I can`t speak on this but perhaps Android Auto users have had this same type of success.

Have a good evening.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:49 PM
kylenov
New User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sorry to hear about the problems you`re having but in order to get this fixed, you`re going to have to come out of pocket for a new APIM and the other cost that`s related to installing and programming it and these can only be programmed by a Ford dealer because each APIM is tied to the VIN#.

I take it she has more than 36K on her Escape or it was purchased sometime between January 1st and the 19th of 2016 and she didn`t purchase a Ford ESP.

The 2.2 update or any update to the SYNC 3 system did "NOT" fry your APIM and going back to an older version will not solve the issues you`re having with the APIM.

My 2016 F150 is doing the same thing and my new APIM has been on order since October of 2018 but i`m still under the Factory warranty.

I`m not sure if your girlfriend wants to go this route but to get around dealing with the SYNC 3 issues, I use Apple CarPlay with my iPhone and the system works flawlessly in my vehicle and I don`t have to deal with constant rebooting or Master Resetting of the SYNC 3 system. I can`t speak on this but perhaps Android Auto users have had this same type of success.

Have a good evening.
Thank you very much for your information. Since we have Android phones, I will try Android Auto and see how that works. And yes the Escape has over 36K miles.

Fry was a poor word choice, as if it was fried, it wouldn't work at all. But what is actually wrong with the APIM? I don't understand that yet. It must be a hardware issue as the fix is to replace it, but what's actually wrong with it and are the new APIMs improved or is there a chance this could happen again? Is this something we could've caused?

Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
Recently purchased a 18 STX replacing our 01 pickup. Don't know what version of SYNC 3 it has and really don't care as long as it does what it's supposed to do.
Are these updates something you do or have done or are they automatic?
Also what is APIM?

Old 01-20-2019, 12:47 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Thank you very much for your information. Since we have Android phones, I will try Android Auto and see how that works. And yes the Escape has over 36K miles.

Fry was a poor word choice, as if it was fried, it wouldn't work at all. But what is actually wrong with the APIM? I don't understand that yet. It must be a hardware issue as the fix is to replace it, but what's actually wrong with it and are the new APIMs improved or is there a chance this could happen again? Is this something we could've caused?
I think it’s a manufacturing issue with particular batches of these APIM’s because these problems don’t seem to be affecting everyone.

No, it’s not something you guys caused so don’t think that way. I do hope Ford has found out where the problem is and have addressed it with an improved version and I hope that’s what I get when mine finally arrives.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Destroked 450
Recently purchased a 18 STX replacing our 01 pickup. Don't know what version of SYNC 3 it has and really don't care as long as it does what it's supposed to do.
Are these updates something you do or have done or are they automatic?
Also what is APIM?
If your truck does not have the 8 inch screen, then you have nothing to worry about.

The APIM is the brains of the SYNC 3 System. It controls all the warning chimes in the vehicle, factory navigation, Sirius, Bluetooth, etc, etc.

SYNC 3 updates are sometimes done over WiFi if automatic updates are turned on but most of the time, the updates are done via a download from the Owner.Ford website onto a USB stick and then plug it into one of the USB ports in the vehicle.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Yea it has the big screen but doesn't have navigation, not going to subscribe to Sirius. Bluetooth is new to us in a vehicle, stepson synced our phones to it but we haven't figured out how to use it yet, called the wife and the trucks bluetooth picked it up, she could hear me but I couldn't hear her, guess she didn't hit the right button. It would be ok with me if some of those warning chimes quit working.
Looks like I need to read more in the manual so I can turn off automatic updates and maybe a few other things, also need to learn about for scan in order to disable auto start.
Actually I think it's stuff for my stepson to do, I'm getting to old for all of this new electronic crap.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:10 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
The Bluetooth interface is the best thing since sliced bread. I used the truck's voice interface a few times, but it made too many mistakes. Now when I need to give voice commands, I go through the phone (Google Assistant). Much more accurate, and faster. As far as non-voice controls, the buttons on the steering wheel work very well.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:33 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Yea it has the big screen but doesn't have navigation, not going to subscribe to Sirius. Bluetooth is new to us in a vehicle, stepson synced our phones to it but we haven't figured out how to use it yet, called the wife and the trucks bluetooth picked it up, she could hear me but I couldn't hear her, guess she didn't hit the right button. It would be ok with me if some of those warning chimes quit working.
Looks like I need to read more in the manual so I can turn off automatic updates and maybe a few other things, also need to learn about for scan in order to disable auto start.
Actually I think it's stuff for my stepson to do, I'm getting to old for all of this new electronic crap.
The APIM is a module that’s connected to the back of the actual screen. It also controls the Bluetooth Bluetooth connection as well as your radio.

If you start loosing Bluetooth whereas it just disconnects on it’s own then yes, you have APIM problems.

Just keep an eye on it and anything weird happening with the SYNC 3 system such as laggy response when you hit a button on the screen.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:19 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Ok thanks, I've brought the owners manual in, looks like I've got some reading to do.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM
triniexr
Senior User
Also what is APIM?
The SYNC computer, which Ford calls the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), is housed separately from the head unit, called the Audio Control Module (ACM), and interfaces with all vehicle audio sources as well as the high-speed and medium-speed vehicle CAN-buses.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:30 PM
kylenov
New User
Just took the Escape on a little road trip last weekend and used Android Auto. Worked perfectly. And when switching back to Sync while still connected to Android Auto, all its problems were gone. No lag or anything. Really glad it works, but still seems quite strange to me.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:44 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Just took the Escape on a little road trip last weekend and used Android Auto. Worked perfectly. And when switching back to Sync while still connected to Android Auto, all its problems were gone. No lag or anything. Really glad it works, but still seems quite strange to me.
Glad to hear that Android Auto works for you and yes, when one switches back to SYNC while still connected to the alternative interface, SYNC seems to be working perfectly and I`ve experienced the same thing while using Apple CarPlay and switching back to SYNC but, don`t let SYNC fool you because it`ll soon go back to acting crazy again.

I think Apple CarPlay is so much better than SYNC and it`s what I prefer to use and it`s what i`ll continue to use even after I finally get my new APIM. I just want everything that came stock on my vehicle to work as it should and did when I first purchased it. Nothing more and nothing less.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:30 AM
kylenov
New User
Absolutely. I would do the same if the Escape was still under warranty. If we decide to sell it eventually, we'll have to get the work done as well, which is unfortunate.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:53 PM
Austin Landskroener
I used to believe whole heartdly in Microsoft 🤦‍♂️

Thanks.
I have a 2013 fusion with the basic sync system, in order to cut costs I replaced the module under the dash (I'm not sure where it's located in the escape) I bought one used off of eBay plugged it in and it worked again. However I'm worried about installing the update 🤦‍♂️. I may just live with not reading the song on the dash and hitting the voice control button to go to Bluetooth. I just googled sync module to find out where it was located and pulled the part number off of the module in my car. If it's the same issue I had you should still be able to listen to CDs include media burned like a flash drive.

Quick Reply: Sync 3 2.2 Update killed my APIM