Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorting 1995 Bronco - code 157, 172, 542, 628

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 PM
grumpin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure on the changing fluid levels, that's odd. Hopefully someone jumps in.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 PM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
While replacing the fuel pressure regulator I noticed a metal plug in a hose behind the engine.

Name:  WEvN5hs.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  386.3 KB

It looks like someone removed the emissions system. It looks like the cut hose is just above the check valve that goes to the engine. I can not find any indication of a connection to the exhaust, so I am guessing it was removed when the cats were cut off. I also found a yellow vacuum hose with a screw in it as a cap. Aren't there two vacuum hoses that connect to the combination valve?

I am not to worried about all of this except I am getting exhaust through the HVAC. If there is a problem with how the system was disabled it could cause exhaust to build up at the back of the engine and possibly get sucked into the HVAC system. What should I check for? Could there be a problem with the check valve on the engine side or even a leak in the rubber hose leading from it that is now plugged?

Saturday I should have time to remove the inner fender liners and get a better view.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
What would the correct size serpentine belt be with the air pump removed?

Old 07-29-2017, 12:18 AM
grumpin
Senior User
Originally Posted by SleeprLegend
What would the correct size serpentine belt be with the air pump removed?
I would think you will have to measure it. I don't remember measuring one before, I would try string around everything, mark it and lay it out straight to measure it.

Maybe someone has a better way of measuring it.

Man, it's a shame someone hacked up your emissions!

Old 07-30-2017, 01:10 PM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
Anyone trying to get at the metal air tube that goes into the heads needs to use the trans tunnel access panel to get to it. It really was not that bad once I got in there. It looks like the rubber hose with the plug in it does not have any holes, but I am still going to flip the part around so the flat side is against the openings in the heads and use some gasket maker. This should finalize the removal of the emissions system.

While getting in there I believe I found my exhaust leak into the cab problem. The access panel was not even sealed at the top. I was able to stick my fingers in there and pull the panel up. What is the proper adhesive for this panel?

My goal for this truck is to be able to drive with the rear window down and having no exhaust smell. My current plan is to replace the chopped up exhaust with shorty headers, new cat and cat back performance exhaust. Should I reinstall the emissions system for a cleaner exhaust? Would reinstalling the emissions system after the new exhaust is installed require more than welding a connection for the air tube? Should I go ahead and get an exhaust with this connection and just cap it until I decide?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:07 PM
grumpin
Senior User
I get the exhaust smell in the cab with the rear window down. I don't think it'll be easy to get around that.

The emissions on my 92 bronco are fine. (My 86 F250 is a different story!) I would say get it back to normal. Especially if you end up somewhere that requires it to license your Bronco.

It'll be nice when you get caught up!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 PM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by grumpin
I get the exhaust smell in the cab with the rear window down. I don't think it'll be easy to get around that.

The emissions on my 92 bronco are fine. (My 86 F250 is a different story!) I would say get it back to normal. Especially if you end up somewhere that requires it to license your Bronco.

It'll be nice when you get caught up!
Has anyone tried exiting the exhaust in front of the back tire? That should help with the concentration of exhaust getting in the back window while driving, but I worry it will allow the exhaust to get in the passenger window while sitting still.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 PM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
I found the problem. Where the metal pipe that goes from the heads to the check valve connects to the heads was not sealed or secured properly. This allowed the emissions gasses to get in the engine bay right before the transmission tunnel. When the person improperly reinstalled the pipe they also did not seal the access panel in the tunnel. This combination is what was causing the nasty exhaust smell in the cab. It also appears to have been causing some operating issues with the engine because now she runs much stronger. There is almost no exhaust smell when driving with all the windows down, and absolutely none when the windows are closed. She also holds 80mph much easier, with little downshifting. I have yet to run a KOER, but I am hopeful this will clear the 311R code.

While I was in there I noticed a rubber hose with a plastic body clip in it as a cap. Does anyone know what this hose is?
Name:  xGEHumJ.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  856.1 KB

Thanks for all the help on this!

Now on to the exhaust, suspension, steering, brakes, etc., etc., etc.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:55 PM
grumpin
Senior User
That's great! Any idea where that hose goes? A vent maybe, for the tranny or fuel tank? And obviously your exhaust smell was much worse than what you get with the rear window down.

Last edited by grumpin; 08-02-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 PM
SleeprLegend
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by grumpin
That's great! Any idea where that hose goes? A vent maybe, for the tranny or fuel tank? And obviously your exhaust smell was much worse than what you get with the rear window down.
I couldn't get my head in there far enough to see where it goes. I was wondering if it could be the missing hose from the air system to the cat. Whatever it is I don't like the idea of a plastic body clip as a cap. This makes me hope it is the air hose because then I don't have to worry about it because it is not connected at the other end.

I drove it for an hour today with city driving (ATL) and interstate. She ran like a champ except for some transmission slippage towards the end of the interstate run. There was no exhaust smell with the windows up, but the sealant used on the access panel is nearly as bad. At least that one will go away with time. With the windows down there was some exhaust, but the levels have reduced dramatically and you smell it less often. Hopefully after the exhaust system is installed it will be nearly non existent. If that doesn't work I will probably reinstall the air system.