2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Carli Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FGallagher
You are likely feeling the difference in the shock valving. The Carli Coils are reduced rate from the factory so they allow more movement of the axle.

Originally Posted by FmaxTurboSi
No.....cuz I rode with with stock shocks and Carli coils for about 3 months waiting for my shocks to arrive.
Gallagher knows his $h1t, I wouldn't discredit what he is telling you.

I'm guessing the extra couple inches of lift in the front changed the perceived feel and the way the truck handled or its just psychosomatic.

One time my wife called me at work to inform me that my youngest daughter caught lice from a neighbor's kid. My head immediately starting itching for the next 2 days. I was convinced I had lice too but I didn't, once I was cleared the itching stopped.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 AM
1qwktrk
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Joneser5000
Gallagher knows his $h1t, I wouldn't discredit what he is telling you.

I'm guessing the extra couple inches of lift in the front changed the perceived feel and the way the truck handled or its just psychosomatic.

One time my wife called me at work to inform me that my youngest daughter caught lice from a neighbor's kid. My head immediately starting itching for the next 2 days. I was convinced I had lice too but I didn't, once I was cleared the itching stopped.
haha, and +1

There is no way the Carli coils are stiffer then the factory ones. Even visually you can tell, more windings and smaller wire.
Plus carli says so.
The carli coil is a progressive rate coil, uses a smaller dia. wire and nearing the top of the coil they add more windings making the coil spring a softer initial rate in that area by creating more leverage.
The difference you feel with stock shocks and lift coils are more likely due to the position of the stock shock in its travel for normal ride height driving. and a shock less capable of controlling the different rebound energy from the longer coil spring.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by FmaxTurboSi
No.....cuz I rode with with stock shocks and Carli coils for about 3 months waiting for my shocks to arrive.
I did the exact opposite. I put a spacer in and bought my Fox 2.5's while I waited for springs and coils.

I felt the exact same changes as you. Very planted, much more connected feeling with the road. It was firm, but in a really good way. I know the Carli coils have like twice as many winds in them, so I dont doubt what you're saying. I think both things are improvements to the ride, so you are both right imo.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 1qwktrk
haha, and +1

There is no way the Carli coils are stiffer then the factory ones. Even visually you can tell, more windings and smaller wire.
Plus carli says so.
The carli coil is a progressive rate coil, uses a smaller dia. wire and nearing the top of the coil they add more windings making the coil spring a softer initial rate in that area by creating more leverage.
The difference you feel with stock shocks and lift coils are more likely due to the position of the stock shock in its travel for normal ride height driving. and a shock less capable of controlling the different rebound energy from the longer coil spring.
You just described the Carli 4.5" coils. The 2.5" are linear, not progressive.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 PM
FmaxTurboSi
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2.5” springs are linear and are not progressive/variable rate. Thank anyways

And I did have 2.5” shock extensions to make up the difference in the springs height.

Originally Posted by 1qwktrk
haha, and +1

Plus carli says so.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:06 PM
FGallagher
Junior User
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
I did the exact opposite. I put a spacer in and bought my Fox 2.5's while I waited for springs and coils.

I felt the exact same changes as you. Very planted, much more connected feeling with the road. It was firm, but in a really good way. I know the Carli coils have like twice as many winds in them, so I dont doubt what you're saying. I think both things are improvements to the ride, so you are both right imo.
The additional "winds" mean less pitch and lower spring rate. This also means there's a taller free height to allow for the additional travel.

What you felt was from the shocks, the Carli coils will likely soften it up a bit and may add travel. I don't know the solid height of the factory spring but I wonder if, with a 2.5" leveling kit installed, a factory coil will bind before hitting the bump stops.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
The additional "winds" mean less pitch and lower spring rate. This also means there's a taller free height to allow for the additional travel.

What you felt was from the shocks, the Carli coils will likely soften it up a bit and may add travel. I don't know the solid height of the factory spring but I wonder if, with a 2.5" leveling kit installed, a factory coil will bind before hitting the bump stops.
I was agreeing with you. I know that the shocks made a huge difference. I still dont have the Carli coils in yet. Waiting for my deaver pack to finish being made so I can go pick it up. The difference in the stock Rancho pieces of sh it and the Fox 2.5's made me laugh out loud the first time I drove it...

Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 PM
FGallagher
Junior User
I know, I was elaborating, lol! You're going to be a happy camper when you get the coils & Deavers on. Why'd you go custom on the Deavers?

Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
I know, I was elaborating, lol! You're going to be a happy camper when you get the coils & Deavers on. Why'd you go custom on the Deavers?
I have a bunch of friends in the Baja scene. They get me stuff super cheap direct from manufacturers and I wanted a different height than what Carli offered.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 PM
jhirschhorn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently looking at getting the 2.5 system since the truck already sits tall, but haven't quite decided on the backcountry or commuter system. Are the radius arms really needed for this kind of lift. $1300 is lot since i don't know what they'll do to improve the suspension. Any insight is appreciated

Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 PM
Furiously
New User
I have the ReadyLift 2.5 Leveling kit with Fox 2.0 shocks I added on to match the trucks new height and give it a better ride. If I ordered just the Carli springs from Carli, how much difference would I notice over the stock spring and the ReadyLift spacer?

Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 PM
FGallagher
Junior User
Originally Posted by jhirschhorn
I'm currently looking at getting the 2.5 system since the truck already sits tall, but haven't quite decided on the backcountry or commuter system. Are the radius arms really needed for this kind of lift. $1300 is lot since i don't know what they'll do to improve the suspension. Any insight is appreciated
I've had the radius arms on my 06 (2.5" lift) and 16 (4.5"). The main reason for the radius arms is the 1/2" of tire clearance allowing 37" tires and 5.5" of backspacing on the wheels. Without them, you need to run 5" backspace for 37" tires which leads to excessive trimming on the 2.5" lift.

Also, they correct 1.2° of cater at the arm mount rather than relying on a caster shim.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 PM
FGallagher
Junior User
Originally Posted by Furiously
I have the ReadyLift 2.5 Leveling kit with Fox 2.0 shocks I added on to match the trucks new height and give it a better ride. If I ordered just the Carli springs from Carli, how much difference would I notice over the stock spring and the ReadyLift spacer?
Lower spring rate, more travel, both good things. The Carli kit has custom tuned shocks (tuned by seat of the pants feel, not guesses on weight, shock dyno, etc.), that's a huge difference. Try the coils first as you already have the shocks. If you're not happy, swap the shocks.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Furiously
New User
Lower spring rate, more travel, both good things. The Carli kit has custom tuned shocks (tuned by seat of the pants feel, not guesses on weight, shock dyno, etc.), that's a huge difference. Try the coils first as you already have the shocks. If you're not happy, swap the shocks.
Thank you for the info FGallagher! By time I found out about Carli, I already had this kit installed. Wish I had known the differences.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 PM
FGallagher
Junior User
Originally Posted by Furiously
Thank you for the info FGallagher! By time I found out about Carli, I already had this kit installed. Wish I had known the differences.
Cool part is, if you pull off the whole kit (Spacers, shocks, track bar bracket, etc.) it's worth something to someone and you can sell it to recoup the cost. I hear you, though. Buying twice sucks. Back in the Days of learning suspension, I had a 2006 Mega-Cab Dodge. My progression:

2.5" Leveling Kit - Dealer Installed
3" KORE Kit with Pure Performance Track bar and control Arms.
6" Superlift
6" Superlift upgraded to Thuren's King shocks
Death-wobbled
Scrap it all and spent over $10K on a 6" Carli with Ball Joints, 08.5+ steering upgrade and new Toyo's. Never had another issue and was comfortable putting my wife behind the wheel again.

TL;DR: I like to waste money, learn from my mistakes.

Quick Reply: Carli Suspension