2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Carli Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM
brentadams646
Tuned
Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tdc_worm
In the spirit of experimentation, I have been all over the map with 2017 Platinum. Started off with 2.5" Carli springs up front w/ Accutune DSCs. Added a 1" spacer under after a while. Added RA drop brackets after a while. Wanted to go higher, so 4 Linked the front and went to 4" springs, full leaves and Carli Pin Top 4.5" shocks. Everything worked out great, just had to keep going a bit higher to get what I was after. Learned a lot and have a lot of experiences to share....all of this was in pursuit stuffing 38" tires under and keeping the rig low. I will do a build thread as soon as I get them bumpers completed. The rest of the suspension stuff (accutunes, springs, etc can be found the classifieds.
Damn! You can run 40's on the 4.5" Carli with rear replacement leaves and a 3/4" bumper spacer and the correct wheel offset.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 AM
brentadams646
Tuned
Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by bheath26
I am planning on getting the Carli 2.5 pintop for my 2017 f250. I was wondering if anyone had tried the Black Rhino Armory wheels in 17, i've heard they should fit, but have also heard some 17s have clearance issues. Here is the wheel, https://fitment.blackrhinowheels.com...rd&model=F-250 any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
They should fit, there is a guy in a 2017+ Superduty page who's running them.

For anyone who is running 17's, just make sure that they use stick on wheel weights and do not place them in the center of the rear barrel. Make sure that they are installed towards the front and back of the inner barrel.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 AM
tdc_worm
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brentadams646
Damn! You can run 40's on the 4.5" Carli with rear replacement leaves and a 3/4" bumper spacer and the correct wheel offset.
Yup. True. They were figuring out how to skin that cat while I was figuring out how to skin mine. Four major difference between those builds and mine:

1) I am not interested in running mud terrains on a daily driver. The largest, highly reputable all terrain I could find is the 38x13.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
2) I wanted to keep the rig as low as possible. They are sitting at least 1.5" taller than me. Theoretically, the stock tires are 34.1, the new tires are 37.8, so the tires add 1.85" of ride height. The front is 4" of lift and the rear is 2", so the power step at the drivers door is some where around 3" of lift. So the whole rig has gained less than 6" in in net height and less than 5" of entry height.
3) They are running 17x9 wheels. I am running 20x12 wheels. I didn't want to pick up so much sidewall that at comfortable PSIs the handling was impacted.
4) I am tuned and deleted. Without it, I wouldn't consider running 38's, let alone 40's without a re-gear. The added height, and the added weight of those 40s is significant. My Ridge Grapps are the lightest 38s I could find, regardless of MT or AT tread.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 AM
bheath26
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Adaptive Steering

Originally Posted by cocobolo
Hello all...new to the forum. Great forum BTW: Hope you can help me with a problem that's keeping me from fully enjoying my 2017 F250.

Carli Commuter 2.0: STEERING quality issues: NEED HELP.

I purchased my first F250 Diesel. It's a 2017 Lariat WITH ADAPTIVE STEERING. I wanted a quality ride and level as this is just a road queen. After much research, I settled on the Carli Commuter 2.0 package with Fox Shocks all around, Carli track bar, brake lines, shims, stabilizer bar extension, springs. I had the vehicle aligned afterwards and the truck tracks perfectly. The ride quality is fine but the steering is not good once you get over 45-50 mph. You feel disconnected from the tires. You have to turn the wheel quite a bit to go around a curve and you have a bit of play in the wheel. The truck would steer fine with stock height/components, nicely connected with very little turn of the wheel to get the truck to go around a curve and a solid wheel to road feel. A few weeks later I went ahead with my plan to add 35x12.5 with 20" Fuels but I did this AFTER the suspension change. There is no difference between steering quality between the stock tires and the new Nitto A/T's (Terra Grappler); Nitto's are well-balanced and there is no shake/vibration. There's just this disconnected feeling from your steering. After reading some posts, I took it to Ford and had the adaptive steering RESET using their service tool so that it would re-calibrate with the all the mods in place...no noticeable difference.

At this point, I thinking about taking it back to stock as driving this on any type of trip is just work. Thx in advance!
Is there anyone on here thats done a Carli leveling kit with Adaptive steering and not had issues? I"m waiting for mine and now worried about the adaptive steering because I always get the one that its 'the only one they've ever seen do that'. Just wondering if I should expect problems or if Cocobolo just had some bad luck.

And for Cocobolo did you ever get it straightened out and if so what was the fix. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:00 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there anyone on here thats done a Carli leveling kit with Adaptive steering and not had issues? I"m waiting for mine and now worried about the adaptive steering because I always get the one that its 'the only one they've ever seen do that'. Just wondering if I should expect problems or if Cocobolo just had some bad luck.

And for Cocobolo did you ever get it straightened out and if so what was the fix. Thanks.
i have a 2.5” lift with carli’s springs and adaptive steering. I haven’t noticed anything negative. What exactly are the issues?

my lift is a mix match of parts.

But it if you bought a full Carli Kit. Seems they’d be the first I’d call since they designed it.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 PM
RB-F250
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cocobolo
I purchased my first F250 Diesel. It's a 2017 Lariat WITH ADAPTIVE STEERING. I wanted a quality ride and level as this is just a road queen. After much research, I settled on the Carli Commuter 2.0 package with Fox Shocks all around, Carli track bar, brake lines, shims, stabilizer bar extension, springs.
I noted you didn't mention the caster bushings, did you swap those out? Just a shot, but thought I'd ask.

Anyway, I wanted to pop in here with an update of my own. I installed my Carli Backcountry 2.0 kit this past weekend. Smooth install but being relatively inexperienced I took my time, and it took all day but there were a lot of distractions. I will say you absolutely want the help of a friend. But heres my quick thoughts on the install. TLDR I did this, it went well enough.

We placed jacks behind the control arm on the frame, but If I had to do it again I'd probably choose forward of the wheels on that bit of frame there, the truck was absolutely lowering a bit when we took pressure off the front axle to lower it. We had a third jack and placed it up front. I wasn't worried about the truck tipping forward, but it was unnerving. Also jack the truck up a bit higher then you think you might need, we really had to put that front axle on the ground to get the new springs in.

Brakes, this was actually really easy. I bought some new dot fluid. Get a 13mm line wrench. I torqued the banjo bolt to 26 lbs, I found that # and 35 lbs torque on this forum somewhere - a well calibrated arm told me 26 lb was plenty. I then took tygon tubing and ran it into a bottle with some hydraulic fluid opened the bleed port and pumped away. If you're winding what this looks like watch this chris fix video. Brakes do legitimately feel better then they did before.

Undo everything and lower that front axle! Do release your differential vent tube, I ripped about 1 cm off mine because "it was too hard to remove," I had plenty of length left to just pop it back on, but you know live and learn. When installing the bump stop drop brackets it really felt like the divers side was starting to strip while bolting it on before I got to 18lbs. So keep an eye on that. I decided to leave it at good enough.

Caster bushings were also easy, I sprayed some Pb blaster on there the day before, (do this to the top shock bolt too while you're there) then a few good whacks to the knuckle with a hammer followed by liberal pry application. Absolutely leave the castle nut on a bit, that sucker shoots off. Tapping the new one in is easy, you can't really mess this up.

Lub the metal sleeve for your new rear shocks before putting it into the rubber bushing, they give you two different ones but on the 2018 + truck the bolt only fits in one of these, so use that one.

Lastly the track bar. Did this all with the truck on the ground. I popped the lower ball joint out with a jack, way easier then using puller tool. For the length (37 and 5/16) you can measure edge to edge of each eye rather then center to center, they're the same size, just make sure your referencing the same edge. I don't have a torque that goes to 406 lbs, so I went to 250 lbs with some bonus ugha-chugas from an impact. Probably a good 1/6 of a turn on the nut will get you from there.

Adjust your drag link after driving the truck for a bit to let the suspension settle. I torqued to collar to 41 lbs.

Trucks driving great. It's doesn't ride any worse, and it looks cool which is mostly why I did this so I'm happy. I'm pretty sure I don't need an alignment, but maybe I'll do one for the heck of it anyway.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 PM
bheath26
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wicked 2018

i have a 2.5” lift with carli’s springs and adaptive steering. I haven’t noticed anything negative. What exactly are the issues?

my lift is a mix match of parts.

But it if you bought a full Carli Kit. Seems they’d be the first I’d call since they designed it.
I have no issues cuz I haven't installed it yet, I was referring to Coco's issues and a few others I've heard with adaptive steering and lifts.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
I have no issues cuz I haven't installed it yet, I was referring to Coco's issues and a few others I've heard with adaptive steering and lifts.
I guess even Coco isn't clear on the issue - seems like a very personal relative measurement he is explaining, not a truly described issue, even the dealership "reset" it and sent him on his way saying its fine.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:13 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Add me to the list of guys that have ordered a Carli PinTop 2.5" and haven't even taken possession of my truck yet. Ford tracking says i should see it on the 2nd of November. I am crossing my fingers.

I also have some wheels sitting in my garage and a bumper on its way from ADD. I am just a little excited.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:18 AM
claf
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This is a great thread about some great products but I have a really naive question.

The stock wheels on my platinum apparently have a +40mm offset. When you all are talking about wheels with +0 or +1, do you mean +1 relative to stock or in an absolute sense? Going to a wheel sold as a "0 offset" means the wheels are shifted out 40mm then, right? Is that how you avoid rubbing the sway bar?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 AM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by claf
This is a great thread about some great products but I have a really naive question.

The stock wheels on my platinum apparently have a +40mm offset. When you all are talking about wheels with +0 or +1, do you mean +1 relative to stock or in an absolute sense? Going to a wheel sold as a "0 offset" means the wheels are shifted out 40mm then, right? Is that how you avoid rubbing the sway bar?
yes, going from +40mm to 0 will shift the wheel out - that doesn't necessarily meant it won't rub, but most certainly will help. Pends on tire width, diameter, lift, radius arms, etc.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:35 PM
seabass152
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam

ihave 37x11.5 r20 and a 2 inch bds level. There is 2.25 steering wheel rotations to full lock. I get a full 2 rotations before hitting the radius arm. Test it out and see if that is enough for you. Works fine for me and I live in a city environment
What are the wheel specs?

Old 10-23-2018, 02:47 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by seabass152
What are the wheel specs?
I believe he's running the stock 20's, so 20x8 +40

Old 11-04-2018, 08:18 AM
FlyinAg
Senior User
Hey y'all,

Carli mentions that their bump stops are "high clearance" to keep them clear of the springs. Seems like the bump stops aren't close enough to be an issue. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Hey Tricon (your PM box is full BTW) how did you mount your reservoirs? From your pics it looks like on the frame, but is there a bracket you made or bought? I see Carli makes one that loops over the coil isolator, but I think I like they way you have it better.

Also, any resolution to the adaptive steering issue mentioned above? And has anyone else experienced any issues? Did you have to do anything after the list was installed with the adaptive steering?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 AM
BIGDOG1974
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wicked 2018
Finally got everything on an aligned.

2018 F350 Platinum LB
2.5" Fox Shocks with DSC
Lewis Built Adjustable Track Bar
Lewis Built Adjustable Radius Arms