Anything for REAL fuel mileage gains - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Presented by the all-new Yokohama
Presented by the all-new Yokohama

Anything for REAL fuel mileage gains

Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 PM
New User

cmscat50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anything for REAL fuel mileage gains

I just bought my first Ford truck. I've now owned Chevy, Dodge, and Ford. I believe I stumbled across a huge thread somewhere on this site regarding mileage, but can't find it now.

Is anyone doing anything that really works for increased fuel mileage. My truck is the 17 3.5 eco XLT super crew. I've done the air filter thing in the past. It probably only introduced more sand to my engines. Tire pressure, synthetic fluids, etc. I've done it all. I'd like to know if there's something pretty common that actually works to eek out that extra bit of efficiency.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Vehicle manufacturers have to meet federal CAFE standards and the rest of it, including pollution emission standards. If there was anything simple they could do to increase mileage they'd be doing it already, and they are.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Senior User

rmccbride is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best trick is to slow down.. And it's a free mod.... Just hard for some to do..
Old 06-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Senior User

TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.
Back in the 70's one of the truck magazines did a real world fuel mileage test. They tried with a bed cover, with a topper cap, sealed the bed and cab together with duct tape. The best and biggest gain was simply folding in the rear view mirrors. the second best thing was slowing to 50 MPH. This was while the speed limit was a nation wide 55 mph!
I Promise you the same is still true.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Supposedly, several cars of the 60s and 70s era got better fuel mileage at speeds greater than 55 mph, because of the gearing and/or engine RPM. This was pointed out during the debates leading to legislating a federal 55mph speed limit mandate but it didn't do any good.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Posting Guru

brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.
Your foot. and dont get in a hurry.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Senior User

TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Supposedly, several cars of the 60s and 70s era got better fuel mileage at speeds greater than 55 mph, because of the gearing and/or engine RPM. This was pointed out during the debates leading to legislating a federal 55mph speed limit mandate but it didn't do any good.
This was actually false. I had a 67 Mustang coupe, 70 Mustang Mach 1 Fastback and a 65 Ford pickup, during the 70's. Everyone of them got better mileage by slowing down. All 3 had V8 engines.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Post Fiend

Well, that's 3 ... A lot of people swore up and down they got better fuel mileage at higher speeds because of the gearing.

Not saying this was true for all vehicles.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Elder User

function12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loose weight and draft.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Senior User

AbitaPro is starting off with a positive reputation.
You bought an ECO - BOOST engine, a good engine but two different concepts. For ECO part to work, tear everything out of your truck except your seat and seat belt and of course air bags, remove the bed and fold in the mirrors, then the key, put an egg on your accelerator pedal under your foot! If you break the egg, ECO test is over!

Now for boost, make certain everyone and everything is buckled down and strapped in tight, then drive normally, or mash the gas and get the boost!

Eco-boost is sort of like an amusement park roller coaster! The best of both worlds!
Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Senior User

Delta Echo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJReams View Post
Back in the 70's one of the truck magazines did a real world fuel mileage test. They tried with a bed cover, with a topper cap, sealed the bed and cab together with duct tape. The best and biggest gain was simply folding in the rear view mirrors. the second best thing was slowing to 50 MPH. This was while the speed limit was a nation wide 55 mph!
I Promise you the same is still true.
I had a 2000 Chevy pickup with a hardcover on the bed, but I don't think those even existed in the 70s. The mileage gain from the hard cover was impressive. But I got tired of removing it whenever I needed to haul something taller.

O.P.: keep tires inflated properly, and don't drive at highway speeds with windows open.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Senior User

pikapp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccbride View Post
Best trick is to slow down.. And it's a free mod.... Just hard for some to do..
So true. Last year, took a 60 mile trip on two lane, speed limit was 55 and got near 28 mpg. Doing 67-68 on highway, best I get is 23-24. Still good.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Senior User

Delta Echo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJReams View Post
This was actually false. I had a 67 Mustang coupe, 70 Mustang Mach 1 Fastback and a 65 Ford pickup, during the 70's. Everyone of them got better mileage by slowing down. All 3 had V8 engines.
It's not false. There are some vehicles that get better mileage at 65 than at 55, because the engine efficiency at it's 65 mph engine speed was better than at 55, enough to overcome the extra aerodynamic drag (or at least break even). It absolutely does happen, but those cases are more the exception than the rule (especially today, with greatly improved fuel systems and 10 speed transmissions). Engine efficiency is not linear through the entire range of RPM, largely due to scavenging effect (improved flow). Or in other words, more fuel is turning to work, instead of being wasted. In a best case scenario today, you might turn 40% of the energy in fuel into work (usually closer to 30%), and the rest is wasted. That is far higher than it was a few decades ago, but it still varies a lot based on engine speed and other factors.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Senior User

Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mythbusters did a few fuel saving tests.

Drafting another vehicle helped. Free

Slowing down works. Free

For trucks, the tailgate replaced with a net was better than a tonneaua cover. I'm not sure if it's relevant with the newest truck designs. Tailgate down hurt fuel mileage.

Putting large dimples on the body, like those on a golfball was quite helpful. They covered the vehicle with a layer of clay and scooped out the dimples.

Race cars use belly pans underneath. You could try it with 1/8" plastic sheet.

Clean cars get better mileage than dirty ones, according to Mythbusters.

Driving at a steady speed and anticipating slowdowns helps. Free.

That's all I can think of right now.

Practically speaking, driving conservatively or buying a fuel efficient vehicle is probably the easiest way to get good mileage.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:24 AM
Post Fiend

Drafting works, but some people claim that then, the drafter takes a bit of a hit on his mileage.