Truck built, now what - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck built, now what

Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Junior User

tp431 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck built, now what

My window sticker indicates the truck was built 5/31 and ETIS validates that - with "no water wading equip"
it is a 350, so COTUS has never shown any info... so, how do I figure the next step, being in transit.. and on what train? TIA as always!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 AM
Junior User

Lacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine left the factory May 11th. Its still in Montana last my dealer checked? I ordered at the dealer March 21st,so its been a 10 plus week wait. Truck is hopefully heading to Washington State soon. Delivery Date is June 8-14th.Cheers.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Elder User

Johnpsz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp431 View Post
My window sticker indicates the truck was built 5/31 and ETIS validates that - with "no water wading equip"
it is a 350, so COTUS has never shown any info... so, how do I figure the next step, being in transit.. and on what train? TIA as always!!!
The first step I do is find the final destination (e.g. Delaware, Florida, Washington, and etc.), you know where you live so that part is easy.

If you are in the Northwest and Northern Mountain region west of the Mississippi, then it is guaranteed to be on a BNSF railways train. A few of us have access to BNSF railway's to track the train. Different locations have different trains, and if your dealership is good, when they give you the shipping detail update they have access to what train it's on and so forth.

There are a few older threads on rail tracking east of the Mississippi, and not sure if those members are still active here, but I know myself and a few others can trans BNSF trains.

Then since I have a little "hacker blood" in me, I also squeeze out a little more details on the transport truck companies, and have found a back door into getting the delivery receipts for a couple of them. So I know when the truck actually lands at those dealerships. (this part is a little time consuming though)

If you don't feel like tracking it to you, then skip all the above, lol.

Then after it gets to the dealership they may need a day or 2 to get it PDI'd (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and install thins like your antennae, wheel center caps and so forth, plus give it a bath or maybe detail before you get it.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Senior User

dlauffenburger is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck delivery ETA has changed three times now, so I asked my sales rep to run a "Vehicle Visibility/History Report" and he said they do not have that ability.

Is there a way for me to run the report or is this something only a knowledgeable dealer can run?

My History report says "Passing to CSX" but there isn't a Railcar number, so I can't try the railcar tracking listed elsewhere on the forum.

TIA,
Dave
Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Elder User

Johnpsz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlauffenburger View Post
My truck delivery ETA has changed three times now, so I asked my sales rep to run a "Vehicle Visibility/History Report" and he said they do not have that ability.

Is there a way for me to run the report or is this something only a knowledgeable dealer can run?

My History report says "Passing to CSX" but there isn't a Railcar number, so I can't try the railcar tracking listed elsewhere on the forum.

TIA,
Dave
Dave,

That is a dealer only system, and they DO have that ability, but sometime depending on dealership politics, so only the sales manager and above at my dealership could look at it. so your salesman may not be aware, or not willing to bother the manager.

Odd they say passing to CSX as CSX picks up from KY and should stay on CSX the whole time for you.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Senior User

dlauffenburger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpsz View Post
Dave,

That is a dealer only system, and they DO have that ability, but sometime depending on dealership politics, so only the sales manager and above at my dealership could look at it. so your salesman may not be aware, or not willing to bother the manager.

Odd they say passing to CSX as CSX picks up from KY and should stay on CSX the whole time for you.
John,

Thanks for the clarification, I thought as much. My salesman seems like a nice guy but the dealership as a whole doesn't seem to be up on the Ford websites. I asked about COTUS and ETIS when I ordered and he had a dazed look on his face and told me he didn't know what they were and seemed a little embarrassed when I explained.

The only reports I have been able to get from them are the Vehicle Status Reports, and that is where it says "Passing (CSX Transportation)" in the Secondary Status block. I was a surprised it was going by train, KY plant is only 7 hrs from me.

Thanks again for the info, I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Dave
Old 06-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpsz View Post
The first step I do is find the final destination (e.g. Delaware, Florida, Washington, and etc.), you know where you live so that part is easy.

If you are in the Northwest and Northern Mountain region west of the Mississippi, then it is guaranteed to be on a BNSF railways train. A few of us have access to BNSF railway's to track the train. Different locations have different trains, and if your dealership is good, when they give you the shipping detail update they have access to what train it's on and so forth.

There are a few older threads on rail tracking east of the Mississippi, and not sure if those members are still active here, but I know myself and a few others can trans BNSF trains.

Then since I have a little "hacker blood" in me, I also squeeze out a little more details on the transport truck companies, and have found a back door into getting the delivery receipts for a couple of them. So I know when the truck actually lands at those dealerships. (this part is a little time consuming though)

If you don't feel like tracking it to you, then skip all the above, lol.

Then after it gets to the dealership they may need a day or 2 to get it PDI'd (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and install thins like your antennae, wheel center caps and so forth, plus give it a bath or maybe detail before you get it.

Thanks John!

Today my window sticker date changed from 5/31 to 6/7 - so, it's in transit now, right (or at least getting ready to load)?
Have you got any idea what railway Louisiana bound vehicles would be on? My dealer is not a whole lot of help...
Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Senior User

Bansai is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Thanks John!

Today my window sticker date changed from 5/31 to 6/7 - so, it's in transit now, right (or at least getting ready to load)?
Have you got any idea what railway Louisiana bound vehicles would be on? My dealer is not a whole lot of help...
If you go here (doesn't require a login) https://www.bnsf.com/ship-with-bnsf/...ing-locations/

and select 'finished vehicles' from the drop down, you'll get a map that shows you everywhere BNSF ships our trucks to. The map also shows the other Class 1 railroads that service your area. Often there is more than 1.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansai View Post
If you go here (doesn't require a login) https://www.bnsf.com/ship-with-bnsf/...ing-locations/

and select 'finished vehicles' from the drop down, you'll get a map that shows you everywhere BNSF ships our trucks to. The map also shows the other Class 1 railroads that service your area. Often there is more than 1.

The orange route comes right through Shreveport LA.... so if I register and login, can I stick in my VIN and track it?

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Senior User

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way anymore. Pre-9-11 it did. Now you need to be an 'authorized' user... i.e. customer... with a business partnership with BNSF to have access to their tools. The dealer and Ford corporate have that relationship with BNSF, 99% of us do not. My company orders a lot of goods via rail, and built large chunks of America's railroads so I was able to get in that way. In a couple weeks, I'll probably never login again. It is nice getting updates everytime the truck passes through a ghost town somewhere in Kansas. I think my 250 has seen more of the country than I have and it has maybe 4 miles on it
Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Senior User

nbayless36 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
The orange route comes right through Shreveport LA.... so if I register and login, can I stick in my VIN and track it?

Thank you!
I talked to the sales manager today, my salesman no longer works there... anyway he found my truck 2 hrs away in Jeff City!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbayless36 View Post
I talked to the sales manager today, my salesman no longer works there... anyway he found my truck 2 hrs away in Jeff City!
That's terrific!! Hoping you've got it by now!!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way anymore. Pre-9-11 it did. Now you need to be an 'authorized' user... i.e. customer... with a business partnership with BNSF to have access to their tools. The dealer and Ford corporate have that relationship with BNSF, 99% of us do not. My company orders a lot of goods via rail, and built large chunks of America's railroads so I was able to get in that way. In a couple weeks, I'll probably never login again. It is nice getting updates everytime the truck passes through a ghost town somewhere in Kansas. I think my 250 has seen more of the country than I have and it has maybe 4 miles on it
Thanks for your insight! I will have to see if John will help look for it 😉
Old 06-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Thanks for your insight! I will have to see if John will help look for it 😉
If you want to PM me your vin number (I don't think I have it) I'm happy to check BNSF for it. I think John has slightly more access than I do.. he was able to see that my VIN was in their system before it started moving on the rails. My access allows me to see detailed tracking info once the truck is actually in BNSF's possession. But if your truck is on a BNSF train, I can pull the details for you. Probably best to PM me so I don't miss it.

Regards,
Mark
Old 06-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Junior User

Quote:
If you want to PM me your vin number (I don't think I have it) I'm happy to check BNSF for it. I think John has slightly more access than I do.. he was able to see that my VIN was in their system before it started moving on the rails. My access allows me to see detailed tracking info once the truck is actually in BNSF's possession. But if your truck is on a BNSF train, I can pull the details for you. Probably best to PM me so I don't miss it.

Regards,
Mark
Thank you!!! I PMed you, at least I hope ... trying to work on an iPhone and it's definitely smarter than me!

Again, thank you!
Tina