6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Huge suspension upgrade! Rides like a 1/2 Ton now!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:42 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginther
Just an update.

So yesterday I tuned the ride a little by messing with the adjustable Rancho RX9000XL shocks and the Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate air bags.

I had been running about 10 psi in the bags. I dropped that to zero.

Front shocks were at 9 - turned them down to 6
Rear shocks were are 8 - turned them down to 3

Lowered tire pressure to 50psi all around. Was at 65. (May go back up in front - feels a little soft/sloppy that low.)

WOW! What a difference!

The hangers already made a difference, even with my truck still set to the stiff / towing settings.

Dropping things back down to a more normal stiffness, they really shine.

I'm really diggin them so far.
Thanks for the two posts you made as I have air bags and the replacement stableload wedges too. Still on stock shocks for my 2014 F350 though. I just recently swapped out the wedges for the stock overload pads to soften the rear a little. It's so easy to change them that I'll reinstall before doing heavier towing. Been curious if these shackles would work well with the air bags, and you've answered that question.

I'd recommend caution when lowering your bags to zero. That's no recommended so you don't stress or rip the bags if your suspension travels a lot. I only run mine down to about 3lbs, which is as low as they recommend.llll

Old 09-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Toledo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never heard of these.. now I'm debating if i should buy shocks(bilstein/fox/rancho9000xl)all around or the shackles... I'm in a 2017 f250 cc... opinions????

Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My take is the Sulastics now and Bilsteins in 40-60,000 miles. The shackles improve the ride and shocks the control.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toledo
never heard of these.. now I'm debating if i should buy shocks(bilstein/fox/rancho9000xl)all around or the shackles... I'm in a 2017 f250 cc... opinions????
Just got my Rancho 9000's put on that I bought off CabinDoc, still tuning them in, I had the fronts on about 5 or 7, and it was like a bouncy Cadillac ride... the wave just kept going.. lol

I would get the sulastics now as that did make quite a difference for the sharp impulses, like if you run over a curb and drop off it, you basically dont feel it, Made quite a difference running over speed bumps also.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got back from my 1st trip with the trailer and the Sulastics. Before the Sulastics were installed with the trailer attached and the Thunderbird in it the truck and trailer were dead level. With the Sulastics the trailer dips forward and the truck dips back. Not a lot, also the ride with the trailer is a bit "bouncier". If you tow often you might consider going up a model - using the -HDs. For me this isn't a big deal, I only tow 5 - 8 times a year.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Just got back from my 1st trip with the trailer and the Sulastics. Before the Sulastics were installed with the trailer attached and the Thunderbird in it the truck and trailer were dead level. With the Sulastics the trailer dips forward and the truck dips back. Not a lot, also the ride with the trailer is a bit "bouncier". If you tow often you might consider going up a model - using the -HDs. For me this isn't a big deal, I only tow 5 - 8 times a year.
You can adjust the leveling.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
You can adjust the leveling.
Is there a link to someplace that shows you how to do that? I looked at what came with the kit and didn't see anything. Is this something that can be done relatively easily? I would only be interested in doing that when I tow my trailer. Without the trailer it's perfect.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
While I am now towing a fifth wheel, when I towed a travel trailer, I had an Equalizer WDH and could adjust it up and down as well as adjust the tension bars. You will have to make adjustments with what you have or get a WDH that allows for adjustments.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM
GregWork
Junior User
I put these on a while ago.
The Sulastic tames the harshness about 40% (the wife noticed) [$400]
Then I upgraded to Fox 2.0 shocks all around, got rid of another 50% harshness [$500] (everybody happy with the combo ride now ... except that bloody harmonic frame oscillation ('the Super Duty Hop') in the CCLB at hwy speed on concrete joints)
Then I installed the 16-0087 TSB damper...only reduced The Hop by about 10% [$500...wasted]

Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GregWork
I put these on a while ago.
The Sulastic tames the harshness about 40% (the wife noticed) [$400]
Then I upgraded to Fox 2.0 shocks all around, got rid of another 50% harshness [$500] (everybody happy with the combo ride now ... except that bloody harmonic frame oscillation ('the Super Duty Hop') in the CCLB at hwy speed on concrete joints)
Then I installed the 16-0087 TSB damper...only reduced The Hop by about 10% [$500...wasted]
This is great to hear, I have been on fence for fox 2.0 shocks, this may have just kicked me off

Old 09-25-2017, 12:02 PM
harleyfordman
New User
I just installed the sulastic shackles in my 15 250, wow what a difference.
I had the rancho 9000 series in my 05 250 and was a big improvement.

These shackles really improved my stock set up with 70k on stock shocks. Drove from San Antonio to Los Alamos and back..all I can say is they live up to the claims.

Ride felt like a car, not a truck. I already have the rancho 9000s for this truck, but wanted to see if the sulastics really do what they claim before installing.
My opinion is yes, and I would highly recommend.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:24 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Glad to see so interest and use of these.

ordering mine today.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Installed some Bilstein 5100s a little over a month ago, and took a week to gauge their improvement on my ride. Then I installed the Sulastic shackles so I could see what their improvement was. Both changes were a definite improvement. Each took the bite out of the bumps and smoothed abrupt changes like those when you turn into parking lots off a main road. The overall ride was improved like others have said too. So I'm very happy to have made both changes.

As for the impact on the 45mph vibration/wheel-hop, that's been harder to eliminate. I actually went lighter on the air pressure in the tires before I installed the Bilsteins. 55 in the rear and 52 up front. That drop in pressure moved the vibration down to 42mph, and it was just as bad as before. In fact, some times I felt the hop was worse....like it hit a harmonic that was amplified. I ran that way for a couple weeks while outside air temps ran from below freezing up to days when it was in the mid-60s. I wanted to make sure I gave it all a fair chance, but it continued. So today I decided to bump rear tire pressures up to 75 the front alone. I only changed the rear since that's where the vibration comes from and because I thought that maybe the softer rear tires were amplifying the vibration. Big improvement! When I feel the vibration now, it's at 45mph again, but it's much reduced. Sometimes I accelerate smoothly through 45 without even feeling it. I think the Bilsteins and Sulastic shackles are now given a chance to smooth things out since the rear tires aren't soft and acting like yet another dampening rate.

As an additional note, I also have air bags, and they are only at about 3lbs since I'm running empty. As such, the rear of my truck has leaf springs, shocks, air bags, and Sulastic shackles, which all have to work together. No surprise there will be a sweet spot, and I will play more to see if I can find an even better combination of tire air pressure and air bag pressure. However, I won't increase the air bags much because they'll just make the ride stiff.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:48 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
great update

Old 02-15-2018, 03:58 PM
Maj Dad
Freshman User
Just ordered a set online from Sulastic, but the discount code no longer works - $420.50 delivered. Still think it's a great idea for my 250 4x4 since I have back issues, and the thing can beat me to tears sometimes. Can't wait! Love this site and all the great info from you guys - thanks from the bottom of my little black 3-chambered heart...

Quick Reply: Huge suspension upgrade! Rides like a 1/2 Ton now!