1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Project Fitty8

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:42 AM
milkstake
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Project Fitty8

hello, new(ish) member, finally just inherated my pop's old truck.

58 Styleside
Shortbed
3 on the tree
2wd

its been sitting in my grandma's warehouse since the early 90's

still in planning stages (and i gotta see if i can get it running)

Back before it got parked, it was having trouble with oil pressure. It would idle fine, but any throttle would drop oil pressure completey. He passed away in the early 90's so we dont know for sure what he had done to try to fix it, my gma says he changed the oil pump, but was never able to locate the correct bearings and the truck has been parked since

Solid Truck, i am excited

pictures coming in a few

Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 AM
milkstake
Senior User

Found it!

Loading up to head back to Colorado from Wyo

cab corners good

surface rust, solid floor

i released the tail gate buckles and cant re clip them (operator error)

Old 06-05-2017, 04:13 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow your truck looks to be in great shape! Probably easier to put back on the road than riding that unicycle in the first photo

Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 PM
dcmania
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had my '59 for 6 months-same colors as yours! Enjoy your truck!

Old 06-07-2017, 07:41 AM
milkstake
Senior User
Well this is my update for my project.....on hold i guess. thanks asphalt company

Old 06-07-2017, 08:03 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice 58!! That is my ideal truck, 57-58, big window shortbed in red/white. If it just had a 3 deuce 312 and overdrive on the 3 speed!

Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM
milkstake
Senior User
So far the run down of what it needs to be road worthy so far.

New Brake Master Cylinder
New Clutch Master Cylinder
New Clutch Slave Cylinder
New Fuel Pump
Clean out Gas Tank (In progress)
New Flex fuel hose from tank to frame
new flex fuel hose from frame to fuel pump
new brakes
new tires/wheels
Leak from Rear Diff
Replace windshield (i have spare)

Possible others
Carb rebuild or new
Starter (maybe)

I havent even attempted to start the truck yet, still trying to get the fuel system restored and collect parts that i need, (wife wont let me spend money on it yet)

This truck is in great shape, just extremely dirty, so dirty that almost every think was ceased until i cleaned it up (choke, e brake, normal brakes, clutch, most of the pull *****)

I was going to attempt to start it after i get the 2 new flex fuel lines, fuel pump, and re install the cleaned out gas tank. and a battery. not sure if the carb is going to be worth a damn after almost 30 years of sitting. Once it finally starts then i can check the other issues, see what the deal with the loss of oil pressure is/was that my grandpa last worked on

heres a few more pics
seat and tank out

starting to clean the rusty gas tank

mechanical fuel pump to be replaced

had to pull the ignition switch to take to locksmith to get a key made. Just had one made for the door hoping they were the same key, but i was wrong

Old 07-07-2017, 08:11 AM
milkstake
Senior User

ID Tag

New Fuel Lines

Tank is back in after being cleaned out

new fuel pump

had the truck started and running. sounded like it had a misfire. checked a wire and it broke, so replaced wires, cap, rotor. Replacement rotor broke right when i tried to turn it over.

i figured i had probably check the plugs too...they seem to be in good shape...right?

flash makes it look better
Probably need new ignition coil as well as new plugs. then ill try to get it started again.

Also something strange happened... the clutch hydraulics were dry. i added fluid a few weeks ago just for whatever reason. the Slave didnt move at all. After i got it started a couple days ago, the clutch was back... Full Pressure and i didnt pump it up or anything. It just works now lol

Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 PM
forgottenfridges
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you find the new fuel lines? Been looking at local stores and no ones been able to help so far.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 PM
milkstake
Senior User
Mac's auto. I paid like 28 bucks with shipping. ****** them up while you can they seem limited

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck_late/catalogsearch/result/?q=Fuel+hose&x=0&y=0

might have to search around a bit

Old 07-07-2017, 11:40 PM
forgottenfridges
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I've been meaning to start asking around some local hydraulic shops and such to just get them custom made. Or I'll just dish out and get the crimping set so I can make them myself. Prefer to have a long term source or learn to do them myself.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:24 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by forgottenfridges
Where did you find the new fuel lines? Been looking at local stores and no ones been able to help so far.
I was wondering the same thing. I had to cobble in barbed fittings and gas hose

Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
That truck is incredibly good shape. I hope you keep it as original as possible since it is so "unmodified" now. Your truck do as you wish.

If the 93K miles is correct that 6 cylinder is likely in need of a rebuild, oil pressure is a good indicator of that (worn main and connecting rod bearings). I doubt the issue is the oil pump. The plugs also look like it was using a good bit of oil (another indication that it needs rebuilt). Rebuilding the engine is not a difficult job.

If you do plan to try to start it, you may want to put some (maybe 1/4 cup each) MMO or ATF down each cylinder and let it soak several days. That will free up any rings that have become stuck while sitting. Leaving it in the oil should help loosen the valves as well. After that check compression and it will further tell the story.

Good luck, hope this is helful.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM
milkstake
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walston
That truck is incredibly good shape. I hope you keep it as original as possible since it is so "unmodified" now. Your truck do as you wish.

If the 93K miles is correct that 6 cylinder is likely in need of a rebuild, oil pressure is a good indicator of that (worn main and connecting rod bearings). I doubt the issue is the oil pump. The plugs also look like it was using a good bit of oil (another indication that it needs rebuilt). Rebuilding the engine is not a difficult job.

If you do plan to try to start it, you may want to put some (maybe 1/4 cup each) MMO or ATF down each cylinder and let it soak several days. That will free up any rings that have become stuck while sitting. Leaving it in the oil should help loosen the valves as well. After that check compression and it will further tell the story.

Good luck, hope this is helful.
thanks for the advice!
the truck actually wants to start and run but I keep getting defective parts. So far new distributor rotor broke almost immediately then I put the old one back in with new cap just to try it out and the old one broke. Cheap distributor cap. Got a replacement one of a better brand and it fires up with starting fluid. Now I'm waiting to get a replacement fuel pump to replace the one I got 4 days ago... So if I can get it fuel I believe it will start and run. Just annoying having bad new parts

Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 PM
milkstake
Senior User
fall update

Made a lot of progress! just in life, not the truck....

I was playing around with the 223 for a bit, but with as many miles as it had before it was parked (with mechanical issues), i just didnt want to dump any money into something i was intending on replacing anyways.

Funds have been tight, but i should be picking up a Crown Vic IFS and i think that will be my starting point. I still need to find a new transmission to pair up with a 302 that i plan on building. I dont plan on doing THAT much to the truck, i just want it a little lower, better suspension, and some 'get up and go'. I may put some power steering and brakes in, but i want this thing to stay vintage-ish. I know some people here love unaltered trucks, but i am only doing what my dad was intended on doing to this truck. I love patina, just not this candy cane color scheme, its not for me.

Can someone enlighten me on what they earned the nickname "Fridge"?

Quick Reply: Project Fitty8