Sponsored by: DP Tuner

To replace injectors or to not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To replace injectors or to not?

I originally posted this in the f250 section by mistake.

Just noticed while performing maintenance on my f250. I have diesel in my coolant reservoir, so time for some new injector cups. Here's my delimma, truck has 370,000 miles and runs absolutely perfect ( unsure if the injectors have ever been changed) . No smoke, no hard starts, no running issues of any kind. Should I replace the injectors while they are out? If so, can I run bigger injectors till I decide to do larger turbo and hpop?

Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If it runs great, run what you have. If you want larger injectors, how big you go will determine if turbo is needed right then. Say you go to a 160/0 single shot, your turbo will be okay till you have money to change it. You will need tunes for a single shot injector of any kind. Go bigger and it will smoke quite a lot till you get more air. HPOP, if it's running right keep it. But with 370K I'd change it to. That's just me. Do the cups ASAP! Don't keep running it that way. If it's just oil it could be your oil cooler.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:15 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Would 160/0 be stage 1 or 1.5? Plan for this truck is injectors gtp38r turbo exhaust 5" and intake. It's just a work truck that pulls my big trailer.

I just changed the oil cooler less than 5000 miles ago because it was cracked. Definatly has fuel in coolant. I suck out the fuel from the coolant tank daily. I don't have another truck to drive currently. Excursion has a blown rear main seal and the transmission is out on my f superduty.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:17 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Are you sure that the rear main seal is bad? One of the most misdiagnosed issues on this engine. It is certainly possible, but other issues can mimic this problem.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:19 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your choice on whether to do injectors or not since the current ones behave well. 160/0's or AC's are Stage 1, 160/30's are Stage 1.5's by most standards.

Also, you could have your existing injectors rebuilt, add capacity and larger nozzles in less than a week for about $1k. Performance Injection Systems (PIS) in FL is a reputable company that will do the work.

Few people on here take the sage advice given by cleatus12r and Pocket when it comes to nozzle size: I didn't initially and it cost me money..."Don't waste your money on 30% nozzles." They don't add much power, don't decrease FIPW, and don't decrease EGT's much over 160/0's. 80% nozzles are the sweet spot to do all three of the aforementioned and they as easily tuned.

80% nozzles are worth about a 200* decrease in EGT's due to the lower FIPW when compared to 160/30's. If you tow heavy, then, you will appreciate the difference immediately.

If a tuner tells you go with 160's or 160/30's, find a different tuner due to the fact that they probably have trouble tuning larger nozzles.

Speaking of tune writers and tuning, there will be a very reliable new addition joining the ranks shortly.

I would not replace my HPOP just yet. Run some logs and let us know how it performs and whose tunes you are running while logging. I listened to some bad advice a few years ago on HPOP replacement. Guess what? My old HPOP is still running strong on yet another 7.3L. Many times, when a HPOP can't maintain pressure it is due to nothing more than poor tuning. PERIOD!

As Bonanza35 stated, do a cup job immediately before you damage internal seals that weren't meant to be saturated with diesel fuel.

_

Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Are you sure that the rear main seal is bad? One of the most misdiagnosed issues on this engine. It is certainly possible, but other issues can mimic this problem.
I removed the inspection cover off the front of the transmission. The rear main seal is pushed out and touching the flywheel. While running it pours oil out of the rear of the engine. Its definatly the seal. Truck has 240,000 miles on it. I've owned it since 60k and have done very little to the engine in repairs.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:02 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
Your choice on whether to do injectors or not since the current ones behave well. 160/0's or AC's are Stage 1, 160/30's are Stage 1.5's by most standards.

Also, you could have your existing injectors rebuilt, add capacity and larger nozzles in less than a week for about $1k. Performance Injection Systems (PIS) in FL is a reputable company that will do the work.

Few people on here take the sage advice given by cleatus12r and Pocket when it comes to nozzle size: I didn't initially and it cost me money..."Don't waste your money on 30% nozzles." They don't add much power, don't decrease FIPW, and don't decrease EGT's much over 160/0's. 80% nozzles are the sweet spot to do all three of the aforementioned and they as easily tuned.

80% nozzles are worth about a 200* decrease in EGT's due to the lower FIPW when compared to 160/30's. If you tow heavy, then, you will appreciate the difference immediately.

If a tuner tells you go with 160's or 160/30's, find a different tuner due to the fact that they probably have trouble tuning larger nozzles.

Speaking of tune writers and tuning, there will be a very reliable new addition joining the ranks shortly.

I would not replace my HPOP just yet. Run some logs and let us know how it performs and whose tunes you are running while logging. I listened to some bad advice a few years ago on HPOP replacement. Guess what? My old HPOP is still running strong on yet another 7.3L. Many times, when a HPOP can't maintain pressure it is due to nothing more than poor tuning. PERIOD!

As Bonanza35 stated, do a cup job immediately before you damage internal seals that weren't meant to be saturated with diesel fuel.

_
Excellent advice.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:24 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
So my options from P.I.S. are high output AD injectors, 160/30 tow master, or 175/80 street master injectors. Can the 3 of these sets be run on a stock turbo? I understand I will be needing a new tune on my TS chip.

If a turbo is required would The PowerMax XS-POWER :
GTP38R Turbocharger that's $617 on eBay acceptable?

Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
With that many miles on the original injectors, it really doesn't make sense to just change the cups and put the old injectors back in.

Are the tunes free for your TS chip? If not, I would ditch that tuner altogether and get a Hydra chip. There are free and aftermarket tunes available, and you don't pay for upgrades. I have Gearhead tunes on a Hydra chip, and if I wanted to to injectors today, I get free tune upgrades. If I add a turbo in six months, I get a new set of free tunes. If I get different injectors a year from now... free tunes. The hydra chip can pay for itself many times over this way.

I would NOT ignore the advice to skip 0% or 30% nozzles and instead go right to 80% nozzles. I am glad I heeded this advice myself.

I would also ONLY go with NEW injectors. Problems with aftermarket remans are well-documented here and in other forums. You may get lucky and get a set that run for another 370k, but you might not. Going with new injectors will dramatically lessen your chances of having problems. There are quite a few good threads in here on why, but I don't have them bookmarked.

You can run larger injectors with the stock turbo and stock HPOP, you just won't be able to take full advantage of them. Your stock HPOP is probably good for slightly larger injectors, but that very much has to do with tuning.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I will say this...AC code injectors (160/0) can be found at a parts counter. So if you're on the road an have an issue, you can source a replacement without much pain.

I have 160/30 in my truck. Would I like an 80% nozzle. Probably...am I going to yank out what I have and change? No.

Maybe, with hindsight being 20/20 and all, a set of AC injectors would have been fine.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:22 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
I will say this...AC code injectors (160/0) can be found at a parts counter. So if you're on the road an have an issue, you can source a replacement without much pain.
How many places in the country exist that keep AC code injectors stocked behind the counter? You're usually able to get one in a day or two but you can get an aftermarket injector shipped in the same amount of time. I don't really see this as a significant advantage over aftermarket injectors.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002exPSD
So my options from P.I.S. are high output AD injectors, 160/30 tow master, or 175/80 street master injectors. Can the 3 of these sets be run on a stock turbo? I understand I will be needing a new tune on my TS chip.

If a turbo is required would The PowerMax XS-POWER :
GTP38R Turbocharger that's $617 on eBay acceptable?
P.I.S. has many more options than those that are listed on their website.
They will build 160/80's for you if you request them etc. Give them a call.

If you want to remove a significant portion of the unknown from remanned injectors, simply have your own rebuilt. This is exactly what I plan to do with the new addition to my stable.

Based upon what I am being told, I would wait on purchasing a different tuner. There will be a NEW platform available hopefully within a month that was not available when most of us bought our HYDRA's. If it does not materialize, then buy the HYDRA. I have been a Gearhead (GH) fan for a few years and have friends that have been loyal for 8-10 years. Having stated this, it seems that some problematic tunes are being emailed from GH recently. Even considering this, GH tunes are far better than anything else on the market currently....as in before next month. If you decide to upgrade injectors before the NEW hardware is available, then have Gearhead write two tunes for them: a daily driver and a heavy tow tune to get you by until the NEW tune writer makes his tunes available.

I don't know anything about that turbocharger. If you are looking for an inexpensive upgrade, I would consider the GTP38R upgrade that is on the RiffRaff site for $592. Clay sells good quality parts.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
P.I.S. has many more options than those that are listed on their website.

They will build 160/80's for you if you request them etc. Give them a call.

If you want to remove a significant portion of the unknown from remanned injectors, simply have your own rebuilt. This is exactly what I plan to do with the new addition to my stable.

Based upon what I am being told, I would wait on purchasing a different tuner. There will be a NEW platform available hopefully within a month that was not available when most of us bought our HYDRA's. If it does not materialize, then buy the HYDRA. I have been a Gearhead (GH) fan for a few years and have friends that have been loyal for 8-10 years. Having stated this, it seems that some problematic tunes are being emailed from GH recently. Even considering this, GH tunes are far better than anything else on the market currently....as in before next month. If you decide to upgrade injectors before the NEW hardware is available, then have Gearhead write two tunes for them: a daily driver and a heavy tow tune to get you by until the NEW tune writer makes his tunes available.

More great advice here.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:10 AM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Any opinions on the rosewood AD stage 2 with 80% over nozzles? It's a split shot injector and not a bad price.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:37 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Rosewood for the win, always...JMO. I wouldn't touch anything else other than new Alliants. Tuning, welllllllllllllll, hmmmmmmmm....there is only one I would go with at this point after getting wonky crap from vendors that either would not fix or did not know how to fix....either way=bad tunes=very crappy running truck.

Quick Reply: To replace injectors or to not?