Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

To replace injectors or to not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim advised me against the single shots because of the tuning difficulties. I was told that that's why he offers the 80% split shots. He said he's been doing this for 12 years and most people have a very difficult time tuning single shot injectors and end up buying his 80% split shots instead. I explained to him I was going to use a very reputable tuner like dp tuner, power hungry, etc. His response to me was get ready to pull your chip out 5-7 times and ship it back to get re tuned. I was very surprised with his responses. I'm not knocking Jim but it's news to me about these issues with single shots. After talking with P.I.S. and Jody at dp tuner I'm told that tuning isn't an issue.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:37 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I don't think there is a tuner out there that would recommend an edited (or upgraded) tune whenever an aftermarket HPOP or a 38R is added.

Stewart
I always thought no matter what upgrade you did you had to get your chip retuned. My mistake. Lack of knowledge. That's why I was asking questions like that while talking to Jody.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:42 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002exPSD
Jim advised me against the single shots because of the tuning difficulties. I was told that that's why he offers the 80% split shots. He said he's been doing this for 12 years and most people have a very difficult time tuning single shot injectors and end up buying his 80% split shots instead.
I really, really, really, doubt that's true. I don't buy for one second that "most people have a difficult time tuning single shot injectors" simply because so many people here, including myself, have no problems running single shot injectors with out-of-the-box tunes.

I explained to him I was going to use a very reputable tuner like dp tuner, power hungry, etc. His response to me was get ready to pull your chip out 5-7 times and ship it back to get re tuned.
You can put new tunes on a PHP chip with a laptop and the USB cable (which is included with the tuner). I don't know what this nonsense is about shipping your tuner back and forth. Do people still buy hardware that works this way? I bet they still own betamax VCRs too.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
I was telling Jim I was going to run a TS performance chip. There isn't a way (that I know of) to do email tunes on it.
I didn't decide on the dp tuner till after I talked to Jody.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
I know I will be getting new 160/80 single shot injectors because of their reputation for a great towing and everyday injector.

I already purchased the Hydra through GearHead, so I will have my tune emailed to me and load them myself.

Sit back, have a nice cool beverage of your choice and weigh your options. It is your money, time and truck.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:18 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that I understand what Jim meant exactly based upon two things. One of them being the TS chip with the other being rather obvious.

If I were in Jim's shoes and understood the limitations that the OP built for himself, I would probably recommend the exact same thing.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
I think that I understand what Jim meant exactly based upon two things. One of them being the TS chip with the other being rather obvious.

If I were in Jim's shoes and understood the limitations that the OP built for himself, I would probably recommend the exact same thing.
Except Jim wasn't thinking about the oil side of the 80% splits.

Jim suggests who to tune the 80% splits....because they dang sure won't perform correctly on stock split tuning.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
So here's the list of goodies I've gotten so far. Man this stuff is expensive.

DP F6 tuner custom tunes
+8 deep trans pan

Is there anything else I should do while I'm working on it?
Well, you should talk to two people about the two items I left.

Tugly, about how DP handled his tuning, and Mark K about his thoughts on the deeper trans pan. (Hint, he thinks it a waste)

Old 06-06-2017, 08:50 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
I need the deep trans pan for the transmission temp sensor fitting. It's a derale stamped steel pan. They are cheap.

I'm sure dp tuning is a lot better than the TS chip I have. Must be way better than the edge cts I had on my excursion that fried my pcm, bcm, key sensor ring in steering column, and my ficm.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I need the deep trans pan for the transmission temp sensor fitting. It's a derale stamped steel pan. They are cheap.
Not if you get the "standard" trans temp sensor 99% use that gets installed in the service port on the side of the transmission, which also gives a more accurate temp reading.

Save your money on that derale pan.

Stewart

Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I'm sure dp tuning is a lot better than the TS chip I have. Must be way better than the edge cts I had on my excursion that fried my pcm, bcm, key sensor ring in steering column, and my ficm.
Don't confuse the hardware for the software.

DP tuning is the software provider for the hardware. The F5, F6, TS chip, Hydra, etc are all hardware items that the tuning is downloaded onto.

Stewart

Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Didn't know about that port. I was told I had to either tap a port in the stock pan or buy a pan that had a port.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:14 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
I don't know what angle Jim is shooting here but this is completely false.

My truck runs great with single shots and I only got one set of tunes from gearhead.

It does idle a little rougher though. It shakes the cab at red lights a little more than stock injectors but that's why split shots were developed (as I understand it) - to smooth out the idle.
Sorry, but "shaking at idle" is not "running great". I for one care a lot about how my truck idles. It tells me a lot. Most guys don't seem to care as long as their truck screams from one red light to the next or tows like a banshee. I like mine to tow well, but it needs to be pleasant to sit in as well. This describes my tunes form GH. It had plenty of power, but coming down off of a pull or idling equaled an absolute pig of a truck.

I'd say Jim has been in it long enough to know of what he speaks. I'd take his word as the final say. Unless you can give me singles and have it idling baby-butt smooth as well running like a raped ape, no thanks. To each his own though.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:32 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Name:  trans-sender4lg_zps0f52dfc1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  31.8 KB

Here's the location.

Stewart

Old 06-07-2017, 10:53 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a trans temp gauge with the stock pan. Use the access port on the side like Stewart says.

There's a reason the PHP Hydra keeps getting recommended.

Quick Reply: To replace injectors or to not?