1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help - hard starting in middle of cross country trip!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:07 PM
jgrohs54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the results from today are: after plugging it in overnight, it started with no loud noise and no smoke. It did have a slight whisp of some smoke for a few minutes. It was so light, I couldn't tell if it was black or blue.

Towing today is going well. It is pulling like it always does. I'm getting 11 miles to gallon.

I don't have a clamp-on ammeter with me so that will have to wait until I get home. But that is a great idea.

As for the oil I am using, it is amsoil 15W-40 diesel oil. It is a full synthetic. The oil is only about 2,000 miles old. In the last week in a half on this trip, it still looks basically new. No observerable oil leaks and the level has stayed right where it was when I changed it. So I don't think I have an oil issue.

I am almost convinced it is the GPCM module. My plan for tonight is to not plug it in and see what happens tomorrow morning. If the hard start comes back, I'm going to put in the new unit. If not, I'm going to assuse I had lousy fuel and/or fuel filter issues.

Thank you for the help! I will report back with results.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I hate to bring this into the discussion, but it sounds like your glow plugs are working properly, this sounds more like tolerances are getting tight in the injectors. It will do exactly what you are describing. When the oil is think, there isn't enough clearance on the poppet valves, once it warms up for the day, you are all good. Synthetic oil will put off the need for new/rebuilt injectors, but only for a while.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:13 AM
jgrohs54
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HKusp
I hate to bring this into the discussion, but it sounds like your glow plugs are working properly, this sounds more like tolerances are getting tight in the injectors. It will do exactly what you are describing. When the oil is think, there isn't enough clearance on the poppet valves, once it warms up for the day, you are all good. Synthetic oil will put off the need for new/rebuilt injectors, but only for a while.
Whatever is going on is what it is... if injectors then so be it. That said my injectors are only 12 months ~12k miles old. I put in brand new FFD injectors because I didn't want remans. I don't think I am convinced it's an injector issue. I am still leaning GPCM.

So far I had not posted the last two days because I didn't have much too add. I have had 2 "cold" starts since the day I plugged it in with no issue other than a small puff of smoke but it's light enough that it's hard to tell if it's a little white or blue. On "hot" starts I am still getting a small puff of black smoke

I have since continued my trip so all of the starts since my "plugged in" start have been not plugged in but I am in more desert areas so my engine oil has been in the 70-80 range as opposed to 50-60 in Yellowstone.

I'll keep posting when I have more info or if I find a smoking gun. Thanks as always!!

Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Then totally disregard what I said. FFD makes a good product and I doubt that's what's going on. I started reading this thread last week, then jumped in in the middle again and missed the new injectors.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:19 PM
jgrohs54
Freshman User
Just a quick update because I know they can be helpful to others who were in my situation. I have not had any more issues since my trip and the engine has been running well. Maybe changing the fuel filter did something and re-seating the connectors did something. I took back my NAPA GPCM when I got back to VA.

So no smoking or smoking gun at this point. We will see what winter holds this year since that is when I will start needing my glow plug system in tip-top shape.

On a separate note I may have boned my transmission towing during this trip or around town - more on that in some later posts when I get my baby in the shop.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My question is about the temperature. You had problems at 50F. Was it warmer on the other days where seem to start up and run better?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:44 PM
jgrohs54
Freshman User
Yes - it was 45-50F the morning when we got moving but that night there was a freeze warning and we had to disconnect waterlines or risk breaking things. I think the low was around 35. All the other mornings for the rest of the trip were warmer.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
My stancor GPR died 3 years ago and I never replaced it, I only drive in the summer anyways. And I can always jump it with a screw driver in a pinch.

During the summer on a chilling night 40-50 and I start it up, it can be a knarly, but sorts itself out quickly, Smoke and all.

Below , or in the low 40's, I need to jump the relay for 10 seconds, because I just don't want to hear or see it suffer.

in the 30's, It probably won't start at all and just smoke the place out unless I jump it.

But during the summer I only deal with it once or twice. so I am not concerned about replacing.