Location (State/Prov):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State/Prov):

Item Condition:

1985 F350 crewcab 4x4 6.9 dsl less than 55,000 miles (AK)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Baradium
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 F350 crewcab 4x4 6.9 dsl less than 55,000 miles (AK)

Year: 1985
Make: Ford
Model: F-350
Price: $5500
Mileage: 53552
Color: White
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): AK
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 4WD & AWD
Color: White
Engine: 6.9L diesel

Trucks is sold

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have too many vehicles so it's time to get of another one. I still call this one "Rescue 6" as it was known while in service. Please note this vehicle is in Alaska! The specific location is Salcha, Alaska. Salcha is outside of Fairbanks in the interior of the state. I wouldn't hesitate to take this truck across North America, but don't be surprised!

1985 F350 crewcab LWB with a utility body on it, approximately 53,500 original miles on a 6.9L Diesel and C6 automatic. 3.54 gears. This truck was a Salcha Rescue (now Salcha Fire and Rescue) rig from new until I got it. Spent its entire life except the last few years in a heated building and the way this department works it generally would get pulled out of the bay by the first responder at the station where it would warm up waiting for others to arrive, so it very rarely if ever went right to heading down the road from starting.

Original paint, still says "Salcha" on the front doors, used to say "Rescue" below that, which was painted over on condition of my acquisition. Decals were removed as well.

Interior is in very good shape, carpet floors with bench seats, only the front seats have shoulder harnesses. Still has wiring for a digital radio as well as the roof mounted antenna. Wiring, switch, and mounts for a light bar are there as well as wiring for siren or PA. The light bar mounts are actually attached to the ladder rack so they do not impinge upon the cab roof. Wired for headlight flashers, but that hasn't worked since before it was pulled out of service (I was responsible for removing the emergency lighting).
Truck has a 550 watt inverter installed under the hood as well as a high idle switch in the dash. The high idle simply uses the same solenoid as the cold high idle so whatever you have one set for will be the other.

Truck has a female plug on the driver's fender to plug an extension cord into directly, but years ago that was changed over to a normal cord out of the grill. I debated changing it back because a fender plug in is pretty convenient. Fully winterized and is the best cold starting diesel I own.

8000 lb warn winch mounted on the front winch bumper works, also has a class III hitch and 7 round trailer connector. Does not have a brake controller. All are original to the truck.

The tool box is also in very good shape and all doors close and can be locked (all keyed the same). Front fuel tank is slow to fill, which is a common problem in this series truck. A common fix is to remove the fuel filler hose and take out the inner hose (it uses a hose within a hose system for venting). Draws from both tanks without issues and all gauges seem to work as they should. Rear tail lights replaced with LEDs. Reverse lights are incandescent. All lights work, there is also an additional interior light overhead in the cab that was installed by the fire dept that is turned on by a switch on the light itself.

Front locking hubs were replaced with brand new Mile Marker hubs right before it came out of service. At the same time all brakes and bearings were replaced and I understand both wheel hubs were replaced as well (FNSB did the work at the borough shop). This all happened because a front wheel bearing went out so the front end was gone through completely. Tires are Cooper Discoverer STs and have plenty of tread although they could use rotating (that's on the list for this week). Of the two spot lights, the passenger side light works, driver's side wire seems to have come loose under the dash where it connects to the fuse panel (the loose wire is the one hooked to the light, not a live wire). This truck also has intermittent wipers, which isn't all that common of an option in this vintage.

The bad: there is some cracked paint on the very front of the passenger side fender (you can see in the picture behind the bumper). There is also a little surface rust on the front of the utility body where gravel kicked up and took some little bits of paint off.

Note that this truck IS an F-350 but it has a TTB twin I-beam front end. Drives and handles like new. I noted that this truck actually has a higher GVWR than my 1990 F350 with a dana 60 front.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive this truck anywhere as is.

I'm willing to talk on the price. There aren't exactly a lot of old IDI trucks with this low of miles or condition to compare to. Truck has been in the interior of Alaska its whole life and has most likely never been exposed to salt. I do have all paperwork with the truck including the original purchase receipt.

Last edited by Baradium; 06-24-2017 at 06:10 PM. Reason: sold