Adventure in toyland

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:10 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Adventure in toyland

I bought and picked up a 48 Mercury M68 recently and part of the deal included the pictured as of yet not properly identified piece of metal.

This is what I know about it.
Its yellow and has been shot a few times.
Theres a Model A frame that comes with it.
It has a round metal tire mount on the frame.
The frame has a hand crank hole and elliptical front springs.
Its a Touring car
I have a 59A running motor and transmission to go into it and have a MG front and rear suspension for it.

I can make it into what ever I want as its well rotted floor board wise and I've got nothing better to do with it.
For $900cdn I got this truck and the body shell, truck runs and the hydraulics work, would make a good toy hauler and light landscaping truck.

Opinions, ideas and information are welcome. Thank you

Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
The touring body is a mid '20's Overland, made by ******. I have one like it....the giveaway is the fuel tank in the firewall. They had an ID tag on the seat frame, drivers side.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:57 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Thank you Tinman, I've been doing the google search for about 3 weeks and haven't come across the exact body but I was also thinking it was a Ford Touring car. Right now theres only open air under the drivers seat so I'm guessing that what ever this becomes will be classified as a home built up here.

Thanks for the fast response.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:34 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm assuming the truck is an F-3 or Canadian equivalent? Are the wheels "widowmakers" or some other variant?

Nice haul.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Truck is a 48 Mercury M68 with a running 59A in it and has a tilt deck, will hopefully be the toy hauler. The flat head will wind up in the Overland, and the transmission will be modern so that its more streetable. There was a MG suspension in the deal and I'll see if it'll fit and work in the frame. Thats as far as the planning has gotten as I'm looking at doing a move that will get me set up garage with 220 power and a newly renovated house and its only 500' from my place. I'd be the first tenant and the house is on this neighborhoods version of **** hill, basically a new house with garage..

PS Those are 17" widow makers, will be selling them cheap, lol.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Picked up the Overland frame today

Elliptical springs are a bit different, might find something to use them on. Seeing the frame rails with the channel facing out is outright strange, wondering if I can swap them left for right and put in new cross members. Still don't know what I'll be doing with it.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:45 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Got bored and had some time on my hands so the frame got stripped down, this thing is about 11' long now and I doubt if it weighs 100 lbs, should make a good flat headed hot rod.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
SO!, its been a while, the curse of semi retirement is that theres to much work to do to be retired. With luck I'll be moving next month into a house with a double garage so that I have a decent work area for my projects. Now that you brought up the topic of projects, its time to get to the toy. I haven't had time to work on it, but what I have done is to get it into a recognizeable piece of metal.

I picked up some 5" lights for it and a steering wheel for my 78 F350 dually work truck

Decided that some day I might need some wheels for the car

These are 15" x 6.5" true spoke with the knock off adapters and mounting kit, this isn't a high power hotrod so I'll be sticking with the MG suspension for now so they should work quite well. Speaking of not being a hotrod, I bought a 53, 255 motor for it, I'd show you a picture of it but its wrapped up and tied to the headache rack of my truck. Motor came with a points style and pertronics distributor plus a new in the box fuel pump. to make sure no one gets any hotrod ideas I bought this for it.

Haven't worked on the car yet but I've spent $2100 on it in the last month, can't hardly wait for the retirement to kick in again so that I can go back to being a lazy assed car putterer.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:34 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That would be the easiest frame ever to box

Old 09-21-2017, 01:59 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
It sure is a small frame and light too WB3 the rails are the size of dressed 2 x 3s and the whole thing is probably under 100 pounds. Should be interesting what it looks like once the suspension, engine mounts and cross members are in. Am going to make a table to build up the frame on. Still don't know what the end run on it will be but I want to build it up to about 170 to 200 HP so that it doesn't get to squirrely when it gets driven.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:23 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
So, the Overland is the first tenant in the shop.

This is set up just to produce ideas, I picked up a 255 Mercury motor from the guy that sold me the Fenten and it came with a few extra parts like a Pertronix distributor, points distributor, fuel pump and another solenoid.
Right now I'm busy doing fence and gate repairs on the new place, the last job of the season, moving and creating another cash flow system that'll keep me closer to home. In other words projects are on hold until sometime in November.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:38 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
We will be holding our breath in anticipation of these two projects. I bet the Overland will be a blast to drive. And those MG wheels really look the part. Talk about a one of a kind 'Heinz 57' hot rod... I love what you are doing.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:55 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Thanks Gary, the only set plan is to keep this thing traditional and to here the rumble of a flathead, the rear seat tin might become a yard swing.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Did you get the rearend with the Overland? The late teens Overlands had the transmission attached to the rear axle. The gear shift moved through notches like some two cylinder JD tractors.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:39 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
The only parts that I got with the car was the body shell and frame 52henry. There is a steering column, spare tire mounting ring and some elliptical leaf springs. Don't know if it will work for sure but I'm thinking about cutting the MG springs, making spring pockets and mounting the cut down springs elliptically with a set of coil over shocks on the rear axle.

Quick Reply: Adventure in toyland