Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 AM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some paint

Hi Folks,
I have a 1994 F-350, 4 door dually and need to re-paint it.
The factory color on the door sticker was "PB", a Jewel Green (metallic)
Since I try to do everything on a budget, does anyone know where I can get some paint for a DIY project without getting reamed?
I'am thinking the last time I painted one of my vehicles was a 1977 F-100 and it took about a gallon and a half, with a little left over, if my memory is correct....many many years ago.
I have the spray gun and compressor, I just need some " budget paint" but not so cheap that I go to rattle cans etc. lol but not that 1000 dollar a gallon stuff.
I was hoping to paint it myself for 200 dollars or less...is this possible?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by thatdarncat
Hi Folks,
I have a 1994 F-350, 4 door dually and need to re-paint it.
The factory color on the door sticker was "PB", a Jewel Green (metallic)
Since I try to do everything on a budget, does anyone know where I can get some paint for a DIY project without getting reamed?
I'am thinking the last time I painted one of my vehicles was a 1977 F-100 and it took about a gallon and a half, with a little left over, if my memory is correct....many many years ago.
I have the spray gun and compressor, I just need some " budget paint" but not so cheap that I go to rattle cans etc. lol but not that 1000 dollar a gallon stuff.
I was hoping to paint it myself for 200 dollars or less...is this possible?
There are paints out there. Based on your numbers, I guess you are looking for 2 gallons. For under 200, with sand paper, tape and all the other odds and ends that go with painting? I don't really see that happening. However, I am also trying the budget paint job. I ordered primer and paint from a site called AutoPaints4Less. They do a kit which includes a gallon of paint, hardener and reducer ranging from 80 and up. I'm going with their off the shelve stuff which is cheaper than matching colors I believe. I believe the kit will give about 1.5 gallons of sprayable product. So far I've only started shooting the 2k primer. But I really like how it laid down. They also have an Amazon store that you can buy product through. I can let you know after I've shot my color how I feel it laid down and coverage and what not. I'm using a single stage acrylic enamel. I'm also spraying a crew cab long bed (but it's not a dually) so I'm going with a two tone, so I don't have to worry about variations between two different gallons of the same color.

Also interested in other options that people have. It will be the end of the month probably before I spray color as I've a lot of sanding and priming left to do. Good luck with what you find.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:30 AM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it, I will check out that web site!
I dont mind going over a little bit on the extras, I was trying to keep the paint to about 200 dollars. Im hoping to find something close, so I dont have to do door jambs and all the out of the way places.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Cajunj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Paint

go to automotivetouchup.com they sell rattle can and by the pint, quart or gallon and it matches and is good paint for less than I could find anywhere else

Old 05-23-2017, 09:30 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A buddy uses paint from Egypt. I don't know where to buy it.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Go to your local paint supply store.

Pretty much every reputable paint company has a cheaper line

Dupont has Nason
PPG has Shop Line
etc.

ShopLine clear is IIRC $135 for a gallon and quart of sprayable clear(gallon of clear, quart of activator)

Colors carry but typically in the 50-100 a gallon range

So for 2 gallon of each you would be $460

OR you can be a cheap ******* and get some single stage paint that will look like crap from the day you paint it for about $45 a gallon

Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 PM
phoskins
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
...OR you can be a cheap ******* and get some single stage paint that will look like crap from the day you paint it for about $45 a gallon
So harsh.... but the truth hurts.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phoskins
So harsh.... but the truth hurts.
No.

Single stage came on vehicles for years and does hold up and look decent. Half of my truck is painted with Martin senour single stage, other half (driver's side)is sporting it's original 89 paint. It's had 60k miles put on it, slid off the road ( black ice)into a ditch with briars in it. Painted outside with a harbor freight hvlp gun by a guy with no bodywork experience. It's held up fine. You can keep your flaking clear coat.

Attached Images     
Old 05-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Yeah. Single stage paint works so well ALL the auto manufacturers went away from it just to put on s more expensive products. Prime example is my red 97 F350. Was waxed 4 times a year since it was new. It fades to this lovely shade of pink within a month of being waxed. I paint quite a few cars and tractors. And I look at it this way. How much is your vehicle worth? If the vehicle is worth less than the paint, then single stage it. But the if it is worth 4-5 times the cost of paint then it is a no brained, it gets base/clear.

Oh. Here is my pink 97 that is totally getting redone in BASE/CLEAR

Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Yeah. Single stage paint works so well ALL the auto manufacturers went away from it just to put on s more expensive products. Prime example is my red 97 F350. Was waxed 4 times a year since it was new. It fades to this lovely shade of pink within a month of being waxed. I paint quite a few cars and tractors. And I look at it this way. How much is your vehicle worth? If the vehicle is worth less than the paint, then single stage it. But the if it is worth 4-5 times the cost of paint then it is a no brained, it gets base/clear.

Oh. Here is my pink 97 that is totally getting redone in BASE/CLEAR
Just because something is newer does not mean it's any better/ longer lasting. Newer cars have paint issues fairly often. It's a matter of opinion. I take serviceable bearings over unit bearings, coventional over synthetic oil, etc.

You will see a price difference in paints, that's not debatable.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
Just because something is newer does not mean it's any better/ longer lasting. Newer cars have paint issues fairly often. It's a matter of opinion. I take serviceable bearings over unit bearings, coventional over synthetic oil, etc.

You will see a price difference in paints, that's not debatable.
But in this case Clear coat paint IS BETTER. And there is not a chance in hell you will convince me other wise.

As for paint issues, yes, NOTHING is fool proof but base/clear is lightyears ahead of single stage

Unit bearings went into service for their simplicity duty the assembly line process

Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
There are both good and bad points to each type of paint choice. I believe base\Clear is going to run you a lot more than single stage. It the end it really depends on what you use and want the truck for. If it's going to be a show piece, or show quality, then Base\Clear is what you will want, but I believe the differences in color are going to be major between that and what is originally on the truck.

I've seen Dustin's truck in person, and it looks great. I've not seen Brads paint jobs in person, but only online, and they also look great.

I chose single stage acrylic enamel as I only paid about 2500 for my truck 7 years ago, and it's had a long hard life. I'm not trying to make it into an 8 or 10k truck, I just wanted it to be clean enough I can put on a coat of wax and have it be a 'nice old' truck.

Paint carries a lot of opinions, much like oil. Oh and I run synthetic oil in most everything. I've seen the difference between Mobil 1 synthetic and conventional oil during my time as a tech at Mercedes.