6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Popped the hot side intercooler tube.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
Nice! Mine didn't come with the o-ring or clamp so I had to reuse the factory ones.
I had to order the factory o-ring and I'll keep the one removed as the spare.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,370 Likes on 4,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
Nice! Mine didn't come with the o-ring or clamp so I had to reuse the factory ones.
Yeah, I was surprised for sure. Nobody was getting them from Rudy's with the set of clip/o ring. My truck only has just over 11.5k miles so I plan on reusing the original factory clip and O ring. Now I have a spare set.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 PM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed my Rudy's kit today, and started making a video until my phone ran out of memory. Then I just wanted to get the project done. Here are the things I found helpful:
1) The picture posted on this thread of the assembled kit, so I knew what the end product would look like.
2) the suggestion to use Windex on the connecting joints and clamps made it so much easier.
3) connecting the metal pipe up top first, then the bottom, and work toward the middle.
4) My problem child was the large clamp that goes on top. Could not get it on. Finally cut one twist out of the spring with a hacksaw, used channel lock pliers to hold the clamp, and was able to get the nut on and tighten it. A clamp that was sized correctly would have made the job much easier. Took me about two hours.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Iceman1777
I installed my Rudy's kit today, and started making a video until my phone ran out of memory. Then I just wanted to get the project done. Here are the things I found helpful:
1) The picture posted on this thread of the assembled kit, so I knew what the end product would look like.
2) the suggestion to use Windex on the connecting joints and clamps made it so much easier.
3) connecting the metal pipe up top first, then the bottom, and work toward the middle.
4) My problem child was the large clamp that goes on top. Could not get it on. Finally cut one twist out of the spring with a hacksaw, used channel lock pliers to hold the clamp, and was able to get the nut on and tighten it. A clamp that was sized correctly would have made the job much easier. Took me about two hours.

I used Windex to get the reducer on the adapter. I was playing around with trying to get that big clamp on...and couldn't do it. I tried taking it apart, tried sliding it up the reducer...I only spent around 15 minutes or so on it. The stock pipe is still in and I don't think I'm gonna get it on before we leave for Kentucky. I want to be able to sort it all out first and have the time...not right before a road trip. I still have to pack my clothes and get my new range bag ready with guns and ammo because Bud's Gun Shop is 5 minutes away from my son's godfather's house.

I think what I'm going to do is buy one of those tire steps so I give my calves a rest because I'll step on the bumper and put my feet in the lower open hole there. Gives the calves a real good pump. That tire step would make the job easier I think for sure.

Because I haven't looked into it just yet, how hard is it to get that clip out to remove the stock pipe from the throttle body? Is there only one way the adapter goes on? Because the machined grooves are not equally spaced around the adapter. I'll found out when I compare it to the stock one.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Yeah, I was surprised for sure. Nobody was getting them from Rudy's with the set of clip/o ring. My truck only has just over 11.5k miles so I plan on reusing the original factory clip and O ring. Now I have a spare set.
Ford Dealer lists the Clip and o-ring for $28 and my Rudy's kit didn't come with either. I purchased just the O-Ring as the clip should be okay. I hope....

Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My Rudy's kit did not come with a new clip or O ring so I reused the old one. The clip easily comes out using a screwdriver to pop it out. One other confusing thing for me: the original pipe has a white notched plastic insert in the flange, right next to the O ring, where it attaches to the throttle body. I couldn't find anyone who talked about that so wasn't sure if I needed to reuse. I ended up NOT digging it out of the old tube figuring the O ring provided the seal. By the way, I think the Ford clamps are much better than the ones supplied with the kit. I used the Ford clamp on the lowest connection.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:43 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I didn't dig the white plastic ring out of the old tube, this holds the o-ring in place in the old design and is not needed in Rudy's install. I had to order a new o-ring and spring clamp because I want to keep 100% of the old pieces in the truck as backups in case I have troubles on the side of the road like Rodney had. My old o-ring, spring clamp, and washed tube sits behind one of my back seats, along with all tools needed to re-install the old part.

Bruce

Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I didn't dig the white plastic ring out of the old tube, this holds the o-ring in place in the old design and is not needed in Rudy's install. I had to order a new o-ring and spring clamp because I want to keep 100% of the old pieces in the truck as backups in case I have troubles on the side of the road like Rodney had. My old o-ring, spring clamp, and washed tube sits behind one of my back seats, along with all tools needed to re-install the old part.

Bruce
I bet you will never use them Bruce! Kinda like how I used to keep a spare turbo clamp for my '05 6.0l and a spare egt sensors for my 2011. It's like murphy knows you are prepared and hits somewhere else....

Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Murphy is an evil b@stard. He probably owns stock on auto parts stores.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Murphy is an evil b@stard. He probably owns stock on auto parts stores.
That's a good one!!!

Old 08-20-2017, 11:03 AM
CR3999!
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The aFe comes with the o-ring but not a clip. I haven't installed it yet. Waiting for cooler weather. Probably November some time. LOL

Old 08-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Iceman1777
My Rudy's kit did not come with a new clip or O ring so I reused the old one. The clip easily comes out using a screwdriver to pop it out. One other confusing thing for me: the original pipe has a white notched plastic insert in the flange, right next to the O ring, where it attaches to the throttle body. I couldn't find anyone who talked about that so wasn't sure if I needed to reuse. I ended up NOT digging it out of the old tube figuring the O ring provided the seal. By the way, I think the Ford clamps are much better than the ones supplied with the kit. I used the Ford clamp on the lowest connection.
Originally Posted by my_crib_too

Bruce

Thanks for that info guys.

My crib...that's a great idea. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

I've read on this thread about using one Ford clamp or so. I may end up ordering a PPE clamp as they are not expensive, look well built and would like to have some around as spares.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Cobrajet1967
New User
My experience with intercooler boots is...ALWAYS replace the clamps anytime you take one apart, you can never get the same torque on a used clamp.and make sure they have enough bite on both tubes. Hope that helps.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
I bet you will never use them Bruce! Kinda like how I used to keep a spare turbo clamp for my '05 6.0l and a spare egt sensors for my 2011. It's like murphy knows you are prepared and hits somewhere else....
I agree 100% in never needing them. I travel to weekend spots around my state almost every non-winter weekend and I was very concerned about having a Rodney moment on the side of the highway, having the old part to re-install but no tools along. Harbor freight and $20 is what piece of mind costs for me. I don't typically travel with tools because I've never needed any.

I now have several thousand miles on my Rudy's kit and everything is still together and working fine. I've stopped checking my clamps daily and believe that it will stay together now.

Bruce

Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Thanks Cobrajet, appreciate your input.

my_crib_too, I definitely live by the rather have and not need theory. That's why I carry concealed everyday. And if that's Murphy knowing I'm prepared and looks elsewhere, I'm good with that.

Good to hear your Rudy's is still rocking...

Great thread, boys...

Last edited by Overkill2; 08-21-2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: add to post

Quick Reply: Popped the hot side intercooler tube.