1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Help Convince Me Not to Get a New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 AM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Convince Me Not to Get a New Truck

So I have a 95 F250 ECLB 4x4. 7.3 with the E4OD and just turned 230k. 4.10s with LS. Trans was rebuilt about a year ago by previous owner.

I love the truck and have been trying to get one for about 5 years. Finally did back in December and I have been using it hard since. I own a small excavation and grading company and work for myself. I tow a tractor and a 16ft trailer regularly. Sometimes really heavy loads of dirt or gravel in a dump trailer. I use the truck and it does me right most of the time.

Its a beast and it seems I've gotten off a lot better than others when it comes to these trucks. The previous owners took really great care of it. They always got it fixed when it wasn't running right and kept up with maintenance. It's got rust in the fenders but overall is sound. It has overload springs that I've only gotten close to a couple times.

Several small upgrades have already been done. It has a TS 6 chip with stock tunes, 3" down pipe and 3" straight pipe with 4" tip. Has an intake and superduty trans cooler. Basic stuff but glad it's already done. Gonna put a 6637 filter soon.

I'm looking to build this truck into an extremely reliable dedicated heavy hauler. Still needs to be able to be driven daily. I'm looking to invest in this truck as a business decision, instead of buying something newer that is way more expensive and is bound to fail anyway. Might as well start with a truck I know is in good condition and hasn't let me down.

The setup I'm putting together in my head is as follows:
-Baby Swamp 150 injectors, send in my TS 6 for free reburn from Swamp OR Rosewood Stage 1s
-T-500 HPOP
-Homemade E-Fuel using Bosch pump
-Super Duty Intercooler and pipes
-Possibly Superduty G38R turbo?
-4" Straight Pipe

I don't much about Turbo or injector tuning so thats where I'm looking for advice. My setup is for Mild-Heavy (relatively speaking) and taking it to the beach or other trips up to possibly 8 hours. Don't need anything crazy and definitely don't need to blow smoke all over anybody. This is my business truck and needs to not be some crazy super boosted pull truck. But need better acceleration for merging and towing.

Is the G38R a good setup for Baby Swamps and mild tunes?

Old 05-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Overall 230K isn't much on these rigs. If it was well taken care of and you like it .. most important, if it's paid for .. throwing a couple grand in it is not a bad investment. At that mileage your would be looking at injectors anyway or at least rebuilt ones. Of course there are always the unknown such a suspension, brakes and other items that might need attention down the line.

I'll let others chime in on turbo's as that is not my area of expertise. Of course a set of gauges to monitor engine parameters, such as EGT is a must when upgrading. If you are handy and can do most of the work yourself that makes a big difference in overall cost.

Be advised though some of the mods can take days if not weeks to get the rig back on the road again, depending on your skill set and how many friends are available.

Bottom line is how much do you like the truck compared to purchasing something a bit newer with some of the modifications already incorporated via the manufacturer.