the best subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:39 PM
chris69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best subwoofers

i have a 78 f-150. i dont hae much room for subs. i can have up to a 12" sub but that is as big as i can go. or i can put 2 12s in. i was thinking of 2 kicker solo baric l7 10's. would those be good. what are your opinions. i wat bass that people can hear from 1-3 blocks away. what are the best subs that fit my truck. will the 2 l7 10s do it.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Tempe
Senior User
the best subwoofers

• 1) Welcome to the foum
  • 2) There is no best subwoofer
  • 3) Look into Elemental Designs or Image Dynamics
  • 4) You do NOT want people hearing you "from 1-3 blocks away"

I'm not trying to be bossy or tell you what to do. The only one who can make that decision for you is either yourself or Officer Jones from the local PD. However, blasting your system in a residential area (you did say blocks) bothers people living there. What's worse is that it gives all of us honest guys in this hobby a bad name. I hesitate to tell people that I am addicted to car audio. People usually associate me with troublesome teens that enjoy waking up the neighbors at 2 am.

Again, I'm not trying to tell you what to do; I'm just stating my opinion. I don't want to be the one who gives you a bad impression of this forum. This is a great place to hang and talk about car audio...

Again, look into the ED or IDQ subs

Tempe

Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 AM
luvdeftonz
Senior User
the best subwoofers

"Best" is too vague. You have to take a few things into consideration...

One, amount of space you want to give up. Don't get a 12L7 is you don't have room for a pretty big box.

Two, the amount of power you have available. Don't get a W7 if you only have 250 watts available.

Three, how much you want to spend (not just on the subs, but the amp(s) to power it, the wires/cables used to install it, the box itself, possibly a new alt, extra/better battery...). Super subs are out of the question if you only have a $500 budget for everything listed above.

All three of the above need to be answered, along with your total budget. A short list of what are considered to be the best subs (not in any order):

Elemental Designs A series
Adire Audio Brahma
Resonant Engineering XXX
JL W7
Image Dynamics IDMAX
Orion H2
MTX 9500
Stereo Integrity Magnum D2

All vary greatly in price and availability. To echo what Tempe said up above, boom responsibly. Just like you don't want some weirdo blasting his country music (or whatever music you don't like...just an example ), don't blast your music. In a truck, a single "super" 12. properly installed, should be enough to cause permanent hearing damage....

with the windows up!

Old 09-04-2003, 07:43 AM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
the best subwoofers

don't blast your music. In a truck, a single "super" 12. properly installed, should be enough to cause permanent hearing damage....
Whaaaatttt? I can't hear you with that bell ringing. Your gonna have to speak up louded.... Huh? Whacha say?

Old 09-04-2003, 02:14 PM
_GEEZER_
Senior User
the best subwoofers

Well, I'd say he'll have a hell of a time trying to fit a w7, HCCA, Brahma,ED A, or any of the afforementioned woofers in there. Isn't the gas tank behind the seat in those things, anyway?

You could always put one of 'em in the front seat, riding shotgun!

Old 09-04-2003, 02:19 PM
luvdeftonz
Senior User
the best subwoofers

Heh, geezer, I'm assuming it's an ext. cab. If it's reg. cab, scratch off the super subs and drop down a level..where IDQ's, Type R's, ED K's, Comp VR's, are a bit more easily "squished" in. Or, you can fiberglass an enclosure on the trans. hump between the dash and seat. Invert install...I've seen it done, and pix to prove it

Old 09-04-2003, 07:15 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
the best subwoofers

i love to wake up neighbors with my 4 comp vr 12's ported

Old 09-08-2003, 03:41 PM
smcdonn
Freshman User
the best subwoofers

well I had two 10 L7's in my dodge with a crossfire bmf1000d amp and it was by far the best sounding system I have heard to date. I ran sealed boxes and had a kicker 25.4 midrange pushing alpine 3ways all the way around. if you can afford two 10 L7's with a QUALITY amp, go that direction. Oh and to top it off, even with sealed boxes I placed 2nd at a few competition's dbing 146.3. Thats not bad for 2 tens that are sealed

Old 09-10-2003, 10:43 PM
badtoyzrule
New User
the best subwoofers

Originally posted by Tempe
  • 1) Welcome to the foum
  • 2) There is no best subwoofer
  • 3) Look into Elemental Designs or Image Dynamics
  • 4) You do NOT want people hearing you "from 1-3 blocks away"

I'm not trying to be bossy or tell you what to do. The only one who can make that decision for you is either yourself or Officer Jones from the local PD. However, blasting your system in a residential area (you did say blocks) bothers people living there. What's worse is that it gives all of us honest guys in this hobby a bad name. I hesitate to tell people that I am addicted to car audio. People usually associate me with troublesome teens that enjoy waking up the neighbors at 2 am.

Again, I'm not trying to tell you what to do; I'm just stating my opinion. I don't want to be the one who gives you a bad impression of this forum. This is a great place to hang and talk about car audio...

Again, look into the ED or IDQ subs

Tempe

Ok, I'm new so I don't know anybody here, but I am 16 fixing to be 17 and I quote you because I agree with what you are saying about blasting in a residential neighborhood, it DOES bother people living there (I had to learn that about my neighborhood the hard way dealing with the Police) but I disagree with your statement about us "troublesome teens" because I resent that remark in the fact that I am a teen and I DO blast my radio, but not around subdivisions or anything, more or less at competition and with my friends. Teens can be honest about it to and yes I understand that most of us aren't but you can't put all of us into one category. As far as the subs go, I agree with the brands that they have put up for you but I also suggest that you look beyond what you see because I have 2 Q-Power 12 inch 1500W RMS subs running each off of their own 1500W Punch Power amps and I have had to replace the back windshield and back windows in my Ford F-250 Diesel XLT with plexiglass because they shattered. I aso agree that if your funds are limited to like $500 don't go out looking for some bad *** subs because you aren't going to be able to buy all the other equipment needed to push them. PEACE!

Old 09-11-2003, 03:35 PM
smokey6309028
Senior User
the best subwoofers

If your looking for loud bass on the cheap, L5's would work ok. If you want something clean and loud, look into Elemental A's or O's, as well as JLW3, Crystal CMP, Image Dynamics IDQ/IDMAX.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:26 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the best subwoofers

[*]4) You do NOT want people hearing you "from 1-3 blocks away"

Tempe [/B][/QUOTE]

why not ?
make sure you wire in a amp kill switch intantly kill the subs and and not the radio kept me from getting pulled over. do not tint your windows if you pull behind somebody with tinted windows and a cop is coming to stop about two or three vehicles back hit it and when he gets out of his car hit the kill switch turn the radio to country he will walk right by you and ticket the guy ahead of you with the tinted windows. A friend got a way with it all the time the louder it is and clean sounding the less likly you'll know where its coming from ie you have a hard time getting busted unless your the only vehicle on the road or you do a drive by.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:19 AM
luvdeftonz
Senior User
the best subwoofers

Originally posted by nogo73
[*]4) You do NOT want people hearing you "from 1-3 blocks away"

Tempe
why not ?
make sure you wire in a amp kill switch intantly kill the subs and and not the radio kept me from getting pulled over. do not tint your windows if you pull behind somebody with tinted windows and a cop is coming to stop about two or three vehicles back hit it and when he gets out of his car hit the kill switch turn the radio to country he will walk right by you and ticket the guy ahead of you with the tinted windows. A friend got a way with it all the time the louder it is and clean sounding the less likly you'll know where its coming from ie you have a hard time getting busted unless your the only vehicle on the road or you do a drive by. [/B][/QUOTE]

Avoiding the cops isn't what Tempe and I are referring to. Ramming your music down unsuspecting strangers throats is f'in rude! Straight out. I'm not mincing words, here. It's inconsiderate, selfish, and shows that the person cranking it is an attention starved child. My current system could outbump 90% of the daily drivers on the street today. Yet, you can't hear my music unless you're in the cabin of my truck.

I digress...

Old 09-12-2003, 03:36 AM
old_man_van264
Junior User
the best subwoofers

i have a question for this thread, is a boss 800 watt amp and two mtx road thunders a good setup. my brother has a freind who does comp installs and he can hook me up with that for two hundred bucks. which seems cheap to me. and ive heard that combo before in his car, it sounded ok but his car has sound matting in the rear seat so the sound kinda gets blocked. it would be going into a van so the subs would be open and sound much cleaner, but if they are sounding crappy i will hear it more that if it was in a car, so any opinions would be helpful.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Tempe
Senior User
the best subwoofers

luvdeftonz, have a beer on me

old_man_van264, you can do SOOOOOO much better for the money. I bet I can find you something better!

Pick a subwoofer size (8-15) based on your available room and musical preferences. Then pick one of those amps. The Vibe 230 should put out just enough power for one of those Quatro subs.

If you have any questions about the products I recommended lemme know

Tempe

Old 09-13-2003, 12:19 AM
old_man_van264
Junior User
the best subwoofers

i think thats pretty cheap for competition quality subs, comp boss 800 watt amp and a hand built sub box. but if i can get better for 200 dollars. and i definitly need more power than 230 watts. i want more like 1000 watts, and three 12's. im eventually gonna get the three twelves behind the bench, and two tens behing the front seats. and a tv between them. and i want a second amp to push the two tens. but this is just my starting point. and the prices you put up. im guessing twelves would cost about 60 dollars a peice, then a premade box, then three of those amps would end up costing me 900 dollars. are those subs that much better? cuase i thought mtx was a really good sub

Quick Reply: the best subwoofers