6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 6.0 hard start/no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 PM
gonnasellit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 6.0 hard start/no start

I have searched this and several other forums and can't seem to find anything similar to the problems I am having. Sorry if it's there somewhere and I just can't find it. This is my first post here in over 10 years. Truck has performed flawlessly during that time period. Early build 2003 CC SB 4wd King Ranch truck 94,000 miles I purchased new in 2003. Good batteries. Bone stock except for superchips tune.

First sign of trouble:
Two weeks ago CEL came on, P2285 Injector Control Pressure Circuit Low, as soon as truck was started after sitting unused for about a month. Bought new sensor, haven't installed it yet (early model sensor located under turbo on rear of engine and a real pain to change). Truck still started fine and ran fine. Dreading the ICP sensor install, I continued to drive the truck. Drove truck 5 miles to get tractor fuel. Got fuel, started truck and drove away. Got 200ft and truck died. I changed secondary filter under hood, turned key on and let pump cycle about 4 times. Truck started. Cleared codes. No longer have CEL. Drove 5 miles home, shut truck off and no start.

Troubleshooting:
Changed primary filter under truck. Really cruddy (probably 80,000 mi on it). I cleaned inside filter housing thoroughly. I had to cycle pump KOEO about 6 times before it started. Shut off and immediately tried to start. No start. Ran pump KOEO about 30 seconds. Started. Shut off and same result. I then drove truck 4 miles driving both normal and WOT. No problems, no smoke, no CEL, ran perfectly normal. Shut off, no start until cycling pump KOEO for about 30 seconds. No codes set.

I then removed cap from secondary filter and checked for trash. Fuel and bowl were clean. I did notice fuel drained completely from bowl in about 5 minutes. Anyone know if this is normal? I reinstalled filter and put pressure gauge on housing.

Fuel pressure readings:
KOEO 55psi after about 3 seconds. Engine running 55psi. Turn key off and pressure instantly drops to 25psi, then bleeds off to zero over about a 3 minute time period. Does this seem normal?

Questions:
Could the clogged fuel filters cause the p2285 code to set?
Could the HPOP system have developed a leak and cause these symptoms?
Could an injector leak cause these symptoms and engine still run ok?

Action Plan:
Install new ICP sensor.
Do bubble test to check for injector compression leak.
Install Blue Spring mod. Waiting on parts.
Possibly buy scanner which will read HPOP output etc. Any recommendations here?

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should try next or anything I may have overlooked please reply!

Last edited by gonnasellit; 05-24-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: ommision
Old 05-24-2017, 02:53 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Fuel bowl draining shouldn't be your issue.

Fuel pressure dropping quickly after you shut down the engine is not a problem either.

55 psig KOEO is probably going to be low at hard throttle. Updating the fuel pressure regulator spring and seals (blue spring) is highly recommended.

P2285 means that the ICP and/or its connector is a high priority to inspect or change. I would change out the harness and the sensor (and definitely change the harness if it is oil soaked - which is common).

Getting the scan tool is very important also. We can help pinpoint a sensor issue or a true low pressure issue with ICP psi, ICP volts, and IPR % duty cycle readings when cranking (when you are experiencing the no-start).

An injector or low fuel pump pressure shouldn't set the P2285, but you can do damage w/ low fuel pressure. 80k on the primary fuel filter is too long! Change both at 15k miles max. Use OEM filters also!

When was the last oil change? Using OEM oil filter? How is the oil level (too high or too low can cause problems).

Last edited by bismic; 05-26-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2017, 03:31 PM
gonnasellit
New User
Thanks for the reply. Oil change 2200 mi ago with OEM filter and Rotella synthetic oil. Oil level dead on full mark. No diesel smell. I think I'll order a Autoenginuity scanner with Ford bundle this afternoon. It appears to be the minimum that will do the job. Any cons that you know of on this one?

Old 05-24-2017, 04:05 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Wish I had one!!

Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ForScan is cheaper than AE. See if it suits your needs before you try the AE

Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 PM
gonnasellit
New User
I ordered the Autoenginuity with Ford enhanced interface. Should be here Friday. Seems to be a lot of info available on it on the forums. 359 shipped is a small price to pay considering the potential savings in time and repair cost. The Forscan software looks to be quite powerful for freeware. I chose the AE primarily for it's reputation for a friendly interface and versatility. Lord knows I need all the help I can get. For the first time in 42 years I don't have a truck that runs! I hope withdrawal symptoms don't set in.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Have you tried starting w/ the ICP disconnected?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:14 PM
gonnasellit
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
Have you tried starting w/ the ICP disconnected?
No I haven't. That would be the next logical step. So far I have barely been able to see the wires from the ICP sensor with lights and mirrors and magic smoke. I need to tackle the ICP sensor and pigtail change as soon as I get my nerve up. The early ones are notorious for leaking oil and I can see oil on the top of the bell housing. I have worked on aircraft from fighter jets to helicopters, heavy equipment, nuclear particle accelerators, trucks and all sorts of oilfield equipment but have never seen engineers put something in such an inaccessible place for no apparent reason. I've read several tutorials on the ICP swap and none of them sound easy.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
I use a hook tool to release the clasp on ICP wire then gently pull wire off

Navistar engineers suck

Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
I use a hook tool to release the clasp on ICP wire then gently pull wire off

Navistar engineers suck
I don't imagine the engineers at Navistar were wondering how the 6.0, rushed into production at FOMOCO, would fit into the engine bay of a Superduty.
It's not so bad for some things to get at in a different application.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:20 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Well more then the ICP sensor location comes to my mind as far as navistar boogie

There's no need to pick it apart it's a done deal those are the cards we all were dealt

Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I still like my 6.0L (and Ford and Navistar as well).

I caught myself almost saying "can't we all just get along" ......................... lol (not really)

Man I sure hope we get a Republican in Montana!!

Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Haha I hear ya

I should also take into consideration all the aftermarket part *****s like dorman that didn't do anybody any favors

Old 05-26-2017, 05:49 AM
gonnasellit
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
I still like my 6.0L (and Ford and Navistar as well).

I caught myself almost saying "can't we all just get along" ......................... lol (not really)

Man I sure hope we get a Republican in Montana!!
Ditto on liking my Ford 6.0. I've owned 6 diesel pickups and the 6.0 is hands down the best of the lot. Autoenginuity scanner coming in the mail today. Yaaaaay!!! I just hope it doesn't tell me something I really didn't want to know. I'm anxious to unplug the ICP sensor but don't want to disturb it until I get a reading on the pressure with the scanner just in case the problem goes away. I still can't visualize why running the pump KOEO 30 seconds or so makes it start considering the fuel pressure readings. Hope to find out today.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:54 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Keep us informed!

This forum can help you through almost any problem!

Quick Reply: 2003 6.0 hard start/no start